Did you know?: Striped Bass Facts

Richf7

Caught several at "the park" last year. Totally changed the way I fish there. Still try for white bass early, but by march started for bigger fish. Just grab your heaviest rod, put a 1/2oz. egg sinker then a plastic bead.. swivel, then 2ft. leader and big hook. Use shiners and hang on. Several 3-5lb. spots up there too.

Thanks. Been thinking about getting a heavier rod just for that. What #LB test do you use for the main line and leader? Would rather use cut bait - do you just buy them live, and would you use the same rig for cut bait?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It's my standard big fish bait rig. 17-20lb. test on both line and leader. I "try" to use live bait, but dead, cut, even chicken livers will work.

Richf7

It's my standard big fish bait rig. 17-20lb. test on both line and leader. I "try" to use live bait, but dead, cut, even chicken livers will work.

Forgot to ask...any rod/reel recommendations? Chicken livers for stripes? Yikes!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Forgot to ask...any rod/reel recommendations? Chicken livers for stripes? Yikes!
What ever med. heavy set up you feel good about that you can "hoss" a fish in with quick with, fisn'n that creek for big fish is close quarters combat... you got to get them in quick or they'll tangle you up. As far as reels go, I prefer a Pflueger 30x or 40x on what ever med. heavy rod that one would use for worm fish'n bass on bed with, not real sensitive and lot of back bone.
As far as chicken livers go, I thought the same thing back in the 90's when a friend told me about it.... ain't no way. Then he took me and 2 others below Toona dam and we filled a trash can with 3 to 7 pounders during the run. I prefer live shiners, but they'll eat about anything that gets in front of them when they're running up.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
If you want to catch a 50+ pound striper, fish at the foot of the Albany dam on the Flint River between now and the end of April. A shad in the one pound range is a good bait.

crackerdave

If you want to catch a 50+ pound striper, fish at the foot of the Albany dam on the Flint River between now and the end of April. A shad in the one pound range is a good bait.
Wonder how the meat is on a striper that size?

crackerdave

Dave you have to cut the redline out of them and they are pretty good . They down right nasty if you don't take out the redline imho. That being said a flathead , spotted bass and crappie whole lot better eating .
Yeah...why kill a big striper to eat,when there's so many better fish to eat?

Lukikus2

Had the opportunity to fish a Tennessee Reservoir stocked with with them. Years ago. Found hand sized bream were a better live bait.