Did you reload anything today #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam5

Adam, I do believe you have taken to reloading like a fish to water.

You have got it going on. ?

Here’s what happens:

I work from home and girlfriend doesn’t. By Saturday I’m ready to get out of condo and she’s ready for a little quiet time. I have a good friend that I taught me to reload, who is partially handicapped and can’t get out much during the week. He and I will put out brass together and I’ll prep it with my hand press while watching TV with my girlfriend after dinner. On Saturdays my girlfriend has a little time while I pick up my friend, and we go to breakfast, shooting or to our favorite gun stores, then load the prepped cases on his RockChucker. We split what we load 50/50, unless it’s a caliber that only one of us uses. We also load some for my father from time when I’ll be seeing him to deliver it. We’re currently loading 9mm and 38 Spl that we will share with him. We are also starting to load .32 S&W Long for my father’s old revolvers.

It lets my friend and I get out for a while on Saturdays for guy time, let’s my girlfriend have quite time, and keeps my friend, my father, and myself in ammo.

Everyone’s happy

menhadenman

Sounds like you’ve got a good thing going @Adam5-

Didn’t reload today but did crimp some 300 subs to test against uncrimped. No noticeable difference but the gun wasn’t shooting particularly well. After the range trip I noticed it was pretty filthy. Took it all apart and looked like lots of unburnt powder and maybe some brass. Really odd… it was that soft MAST brass that @Jester896 had a look at, poly coat 215 spire points and 10.0 gr of 296.

Even worse, my troubles continued with my FTW Hawkeye I got shortly after they released the manbun. Had three different charges and three different BTOs around a load that’s great. Couldn’t chamber any of the dang loads! I didn’t push it because if something isn’t easy it’s normally a good sign to stop for a minute. Of course I started wondering what I buggered up.

Got home and measured the chamber again with a stony point and everything checked out. Then grabbed a factory load and sure enough it wouldn’t chamber either. Took a closer look and there was a small piece of metal that I suspect was causing the issue. Removed it and I can chamber all the rounds now but it’s still a little off.

All suggestions are welcome if you have any. And it was still better than work ?

7745F2D2-6449-4E3F-A894-F808A1A74A91.jpeg480C5878-249C-453F-9D37-7DBACCE3A92F.jpeg

rosewood

After running 600 cases through the hand press my hands are weak and exhausted.
Yep, but in a few months of doing that, you are gonna have a gorilla grip..

menhadenman

Sounds like you’ve got a good thing going @Adam5-

Didn’t reload today but did crimp some 300 subs to test against uncrimped. No noticeable difference but the gun wasn’t shooting particularly well. After the range trip I noticed it was pretty filthy. Took it all apart and looked like lots of unburnt powder and maybe some brass. Really odd… it was that soft MAST brass that @Jester896 had a look at, poly coat 215 spire points and 10.0 gr of 296.

Even worse, my troubles continued with my FTW Hawkeye I got shortly after they released the manbun. Had three different charges and three different BTOs around a load that’s great. Couldn’t chamber any of the dang loads! I didn’t push it because if something isn’t easy it’s normally a good sign to stop for a minute. Of course I started wondering what I buggered up.

Got home and measured the chamber again with a stony point and everything checked out. Then grabbed a factory load and sure enough it wouldn’t chamber either. Took a closer look and there was a small piece of metal that I suspect was causing the issue. Removed it and I can chamber all the rounds now but it’s still a little off.

All suggestions are welcome if you have any. And it was still better than work ?

View attachment 1151278View attachment 1151279

Called Ruger this morning... nice folks and they responded already. They believe that the metal piece is just a residual from screwing in the barrel (and is normally caught at the factory). Not sure how it took me this long to notice but oh well. They think that the magazine spring is something that'll fix my problem... will fiddle with it this weekend.

Dub

Called Ruger this morning... nice folks and they responded already. They believe that the metal piece is just a residual from screwing in the barrel (and is normally caught at the factory). Not sure how it took me this long to notice but oh well. They think that the magazine spring is something that'll fix my problem... will fiddle with it this weekend.

Actually have my FTW M77 Hawkeye in the bench vise now.

Gonna give it a look inside this afternoon.

menhadenman

Thank you sir - any advice on what might be ailing me would be appreciated. Always fed like a champ, this problem came outta nowhere. I'll piddle with the magazine myself... seems like an odd problem.

Reactions: Dub

Adam5

Today was a bulk 9mm day.

800 plinking rounds that are 115gr Xtreme bullets over 4.5gr of W231

100 +P carry rounds for me that are 124gr Sierra V-Crown over 6.3gr of Power Pistol

50 +P carry rounds for Mark that are 124gr Berry’s Hybrid hollow point over 6.3gr of Power Pistol. BD5B579E-6B66-42E6-8375-D91642EF8F7B.jpegA0776356-978B-469F-8965-CDB5F092BBE4.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
i did finish trimming those 250 .45-70 cases...looks like there are a dozen or so of the shorter Hornady cases I didn't get out...got about 1/2 way done deburring them and my hands started to hurt a little.

menhadenman

Dub, you wouldn’t believe… Ruger tech got back to me. Said to stretch out the spring in the magazine (specifically the section by the floor plate). Did just that and it cycles perfectly now. Odd!!!

Dub

Dub, you wouldn’t believe… Ruger tech got back to me. Said to stretch out the spring in the magazine (specifically the section by the floor plate). Did just that and it cycles perfectly now. Odd!!!

BAMSUCKA !!!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Gave it the tension it wanted, I'm guessing. :cheers:

My FTW is still up their in the dang vise....waiting on me to get the scope mounted.

I snuck out today to get some chootin' in and haven't made it back to the bench.

Getting some coffee in and possibly hit it a lick before bedtime.

Watching Bosch: Legacy series on Prime right now.....great show....a continuation of the Bosch series. One of these days I'll get into the books.

menhadenman

BAMSUCKA !!!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Gave it the tension it wanted, I'm guessing. :cheers:

My FTW is still up their in the dang vise....waiting on me to get the scope mounted.

I snuck out today to get some chootin' in and haven't made it back to the bench.

Getting some coffee in and possibly hit it a lick before bedtime.

Watching Bosch: Legacy series on Prime right now.....great show....a continuation of the Bosch series. One of these days I'll get into the books.

Yeah, I was happy that it worked out but also a little disappointed that such a nice rifle was acting up... according to the tech it sounds like the bolt wasn't grabbing the round correctly and a little more tension in the spring would help that. Really confused me... no expect but I've got a nice pile of bolt guns and never saw that one coming.

Dub

Yeah, I was happy that it worked out but also a little disappointed that such a nice rifle was acting up... according to the tech it sounds like the bolt wasn't grabbing the round correctly and a little more tension in the spring would help that. Really confused me... no expect but I've got a nice pile of bolt guns and never saw that one coming.

Glad it worked out. I'll keep that in mind if I run into feeding issues.

I'm somewhat surprised at the sporter nature of these FTW guns. I figured they'd utilize magazines and have heavier barrels for what was touted as a distance rifle....but I suppose they kept them geared towards hunting-specific.

rosewood

Closeer...got all of the .45-70s trimmed, deburred and back in the corn cob for a final polish to get the water spots and my prints off of them...then separate them by flavor.

anyone close need these shorter Hornady cases?
View attachment 1151736
NO reason you can't use those for standard 45-70 bullets, you just need to adjust your powder charge/dies accordingly. Being the 45-70 is rimmed, a shortened bullet will shoot just fine, just have more jump to rifling.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
NO reason you can't use those for standard 45-70 bullets, you just need to adjust your powder charge/dies accordingly. Being the 45-70 is rimmed, a shortened bullet will shoot just fine, just have more jump to rifling.

Rosewood

your right...but I don't want to do that. Crimping with the seating die won't work. I did cut .070 off of mine so I can do both.

rosewood

your right...but I don't want to do that. Crimping with the seating die won't work. I did cut .070 off of mine so I can do both.
True dat. I crimp in separate stages myself. And for the most part, just knock the bell off for 45-70. Those big fat boolits fit tight in the brass anyway.

Rosewood

rosewood

Last night I loaded up (50) 38 specials for my mom to target practice with. Also loaded up 20 45 GAP for my brother to try out in his Glock 38.

Rosewood

Status
Not open for further replies.