Did you reload anything today #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
No elk tag but I sure wish I did. We tagged out day three and spent the rest of the week still chasing animals with no rifle.
That Big Guy would have taken up too much freezer and wall space anyway, lolol.
Sounds like a fantastic trip thanks for sharing.

menhadenman

That Big Guy would have taken up too much freezer and wall space anyway, lolol.
Sounds like a fantastic trip thanks for sharing.

I woulda loved sending another VLD down the tube to see! Wives said we’re crazy - tagged out and still hunted every day for the rest of the week ?

Reactions: Dub

rmp

Well, only needed one bullet after all. 7 RM and IMR 4350, 215 yds. Quartering to me, bullet exactly in front of right shoulder and exited exactly behind the opposite one. Flopped a few feet back and that was all she wrote. Buddy got a dandy too. We’ll be scouting for next year rest of the week maybe shoot a yote.

View attachment 1179379
View attachment 1179381

Congrats on the pronghorn. Nicely done on a nice, tall specimen.

Our time out was brief due to my work. Got close to a few younger ones Saturday afternoon but nothing unique. The following morning went well as he double lunged this guy inside of 75 yards with a 395 grain paper patch bullet. Younger goat but lot of mass and taller than he looks in the photo. Great time had trying to get close.

9339A0C7-8CFB-46B3-9E8A-49B7B9F876FE.jpeg

menhadenman

Congrats on the pronghorn. Nicely done on a nice, tall specimen.

Our time out was brief due to my work. Got close to a few younger ones Saturday afternoon but nothing unique. The following morning went well as he double lunged this guy inside of 75 yards with a 395 grain paper patch bullet. Younger goat but lot of mass and taller than he looks in the photo. Great time had trying to get close.

View attachment 1180342
Nice! Really is a fun hunt.

Darkhorse

Well, I'll be ditching the Retumbo. As much as I love the velocity and crazy low SD I can't get it to shoot consistently (accuracy) without playing with seating depth and my time is up. Both groups were over 2" today!

And the old IMR 4350 delivered again... even with switching to magnum primers, I had four groups of two different charges all under 1 MOA. I'll be sacrificing 250 fps but I know this powder shoots well and I'm forcing the Retumbo for low SD, speed, and temp stability while messing with accuracy in a way I can't solve without more range time. Will roll up 40 rounds that I can fit in my rifle case and call it good. See y'all in another week or so.

Yes! The old brown mule comes through again. That is my powder for both the 7mm and 300 magnums. I can shoot the 300 with the maximum load with no loss of accuracy. But the 7mm requires me to only shoot around 60 grains of IMR4350, that shoots into an inch but I'm comparing it to a less than .500" inch group with the .300 at max. I might can improve it by working with seating depth but I was happy with it as it was. Now this was all with 150 grain Nosler bullets in the 7mm and 165 and 180 grain Nosler's in the .300
It's good to see others still find value in the "old brown mule."

I've been west several times but I've never hunted Antelope, those are on my bucket list. If things work out I might make it yet. Most likely with my 7mm magnum.

rosewood

menhadenman

Yes! The old brown mule comes through again. That is my powder for both the 7mm and 300 magnums. I can shoot the 300 with the maximum load with no loss of accuracy. But the 7mm requires me to only shoot around 60 grains of IMR4350, that shoots into an inch but I'm comparing it to a less than .500" inch group with the .300 at max. I might can improve it by working with seating depth but I was happy with it as it was. Now this was all with 150 grain Nosler bullets in the 7mm and 165 and 180 grain Nosler's in the .300
It's good to see others still find value in the "old brown mule."

I've been west several times but I've never hunted Antelope, those are on my bucket list. If things work out I might make it yet. Most likely with my 7mm magnum.

Funny how we're attracted to the latest and greatest and forget why classics are classics. My uncle has been reloading for over 60 years and loves the classics (4350, 4198, etc.).

I'd buy some preference points for WY antelope once it opens July 1. It's around $30/year and once you finally apply for a draw it'll make a huge difference for a DIY hunt on public with >90% success rate. I'd try to stack up at least 3 or 4 points. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/hunting/preference-points

furtaker

Geezerray and me run the 80 grain TTSX at 3300 fps out the .243 Winchester ...several DRT kills with them ...

No reason the 85 TSX at 3450 fps will not work well...

I shoot the 80 grain TTSX at 3650 fps out of the .25/06 ... Worked very fast on a big deer last year ...
I'm a tad under book max with this load with zero pressure signs but I'm happy with the accuracy and velocity so I stopped there. If this one doesn't kill a deer I'll take up golf or fantasy football.

Status
Not open for further replies.