Did you reload anything today #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Had a few boxes of Hornady Muzzleloading sabots that I got years ago on sale at Walmart. They have the .44 240gr XTP in them so I decided to put them to better use.
Fiocci cases
21.0gr of 2400
WLP primer
1.600 oal
20220927_124626.jpg
*edited for spelling

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Elmer Keith would be grinning.

I like the new use better, too.
I think the key to 2400 and the 44 mag is a pretty stout crimp to get good combustion. Elmer was on to something there.

Reactions: Dub

menhadenman

Rolled up a few more 7 RMs and shot those along with some 6.5s at daybreak today. I just can't leave well enough alone, but I'm leaving 3AM Saturday for my hunt out west so will have to quit piddling around. Going to load up a pile more for one more range session of practice, chronograph, dialing, etc. And pack up maybe 40 loads for the trip (would like to confirm zero then shoot at some rocks at various distances once I'm at elevation).

Then save one bullet for the kill (y)

Well, only needed one bullet after all. 7 RM and IMR 4350, 215 yds. Quartering to me, bullet exactly in front of right shoulder and exited exactly behind the opposite one. Flopped a few feet back and that was all she wrote. Buddy got a dandy too. We’ll be scouting for next year rest of the week maybe shoot a yote.

1A79B95F-330B-4E97-AE5C-15A5B7C8D39C.jpeg
F85D7587-CC6D-43BC-901B-01960B15DFC2.jpeg

Nimrod71

Trying a new powder today. I while back I bought some Win. Stabsll 6.5 with the idea of trying something new. I finally got around to using it to load a few 6.5 C.M. rounds. The powder was easy to measure out. The load was 140 gr. Hornady over 43 grs. powder. Heading to the range today.

SC Hunter

Well, only needed one bullet after all. 7 RM and IMR 4350, 215 yds. Quartering to me, bullet exactly in front of right shoulder and exited exactly behind the opposite one. Flopped a few feet back and that was all she wrote. Buddy got a dandy too. We’ll be scouting for next year rest of the week maybe shoot a yote.

View attachment 1179379
View attachment 1179381
Congratulations!! That's a good picture there!

rosewood

Fellow looks kind of puny though. :) :)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I've always thought the 35 was a cool cartridge. It used to be a pretty popular deer hunting round in these parts when I was growing up. I'm sure some people still tote them but I don't see too many lever actions in the woods any more.
Pennsylvania is loaded with 35 Levers and Pumps. Still popular here.

Funny thing is that I turned down buying dozens of them over the years.
I did a lot of hunting with a group of guys that did drives. I always liked to be a driver and one time after listening to a lot of cracking going on by the standers we emerged from the woods and had to cross a long field. There was a dirt farm road that ran the length of the field and we walked out on that. About 200yds away from where a few of the standers were I saw something shiny on the road. It was a slightly deformed .35 bullet. I don't know if it skipped off the ground and ended up there, I dont know if it passed through a deer and ended up there or if it plum ran out of steam and dropped there but I wasn't impressed that it was laying there with the nose only slightly deformed and I never wanted one to hunt with.
The bullethead in me knows that it is a great round within it's limits but I couldn't bring myself to use one. Now I could kick myself for not getting a few JM 336s and Remington 141s and 760s for cheap seeing what they are selling for now.

furtaker

Pennsylvania is loaded with 35 Levers and Pumps. Still popular here.

Funny thing is that I turned down buying dozens of them over the years.
I did a lot of hunting with a group of guys that did drives. I always liked to be a driver and one time after listening to a lot of cracking going on by the standers we emerged from the woods and had to cross a long field. There was a dirt farm road that ran the length of the field and we walked out on that. About 200yds away from where a few of the standers were I saw something shiny on the road. It was a slightly deformed .35 bullet. I don't know if it skipped off the ground and ended up there, I dont know if it passed through a deer and ended up there or if it plum ran out of steam and dropped there but I wasn't impressed that it was laying there with the nose only slightly deformed and I never wanted one to hunt with.
The bullethead in me knows that it is a great round within it's limits but I couldn't bring myself to use one. Now I could kick myself for not getting a few JM 336s and Remington 141s and 760s for cheap seeing what they are selling for now.
I have a book by Ed Matunas written in probably the early 90s and I remember him badmouthing the 35 and saying that the bullets didn't expand properly. I also remember a kid in elementary school talking about the big exit holes he got from his 35 but he was always known to be a liar anyway.

Bullets have come a long way in recent years but it still takes a pretty soft bullet to perform properly at 2000-2100fps.

I remember probably 8 years ago picking up and looking at a JM Marlin 35 that was in pristine condition at a local gun shop. I think they had $499 on it. They probably would have taken $425-450.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have a book by Ed Matunas written in probably the early 90s and I remember him badmouthing the 35 and saying that the bullets didn't expand properly. I also remember a kid in elementary school talking about the big exit holes he got from his 35 but he was always known to be a liar anyway.

Bullets have come a long way in recent years but it still takes a pretty soft bullet to perform properly at 2000-2100fps.

I remember probably 8 years ago picking up and looking at a JM Marlin 35 that was in pristine condition at a local gun shop. I think they had $499 on it. They probably would have taken $425-450.
Yeah realistically out at 100yds and beyond those bullets are moving 1800fps and slower.
I had opportunities to buy 336s for $200-$250, and not that long ago. Guys came into my business knowing I hunted and would ask if I was interested. Usually after hunting season and before Xmas, or whenever paying their utilities got more important than beer, lolol.

Status
Not open for further replies.