Did you Reload anything today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimrod71

I found a new supplier of reloading supplies: Powder Valley. I know they are not new, most of you have been ordering from them for years. I just never heard of them until I saw there name on here. I really like ordering from them. I am an old man and I don't like having to order on computer. I called P. V. and the girl that answered the phone was great. The computers were running slow so we had a chance to talk as I explained my order. She explained the reason for late shipping, and all the charges. The ordered arrived as expected the two boxes of bullets were wrapped together and the two bags of brass were laid out in the bottom with a packing list showing the prices and the person who packed the order. I am looking forward to ordering from them again. If you like personal attention when making an order call Powder Valley.

chuckdog

The last time I check Powder Valley they were out of stock on anything I could use.

I don't know how any company can survive without product to sell.

You're correct about them being a good place to buy when they have it.

When I order in bulk, that's where I look first.

chuckdog

I loaded 50 rounds of .45 Colt using mixed headstamped brass. I used 250gr Oregon Trail cast "Silver Bullet," Winchester primers, and 5 grains of Trail Boss.

I've had this powder for a lot of years. It has sat untouched for a long time. I remember loving the idea of a high load density low velocity powder, but I also remember not liking it. The thing is I don't recall what it is/was about it that I didn't like. So here we go again. If the weather improves a bit I'll send a few out the tube later today.

I wanted something else to tinker with if and when I get a chance to test my heavier .257 rounds, so I loaded some .308 Winchester for my T/C Compass. I'm using new pre-primed mil-spec brass. I necked sized them with decapping pin removed. 40.8 grains of Reloader 15 behind a Nosler 180gr Ballistic Tip seated @ 2.845 oal.

chuckdog

Well, the Trail Boss powder is plenty accurate, but if it were any dirtier I'd be as well off shooting black powder. Accuracy with the powder change was unnoticeable @ 12 yards. I definitely like the higher load density, and it meters fine.

The reason I tried the Trail Boss again is because Universal doesn't burn efficiently at reduced levels. I get what appears to be unburned flakes when removing brass from the cylinder. I can live with this better than I can the smutty black brass, cylinder etc.

The Trail Boss load wasn't reduced. At 5 grains it's a just under the mid point of the load data from Hodgdon. I'll take it up a bit, but if it doesn't clean up a lot then I've found why I didn't like it before.

Nimrod71

I had heard Trail Boss was kind of messy. My wife's nephew uses it in his 45 L.C. He likes it for the Cow Boy effect.

chuckdog

An hour or so ago I loaded 12 @ 5.5 grains and put just a bit more crimp to see if it helps.

I really hope it does the trick. For use in a large capacity case like the .45 Colt at standard velocities I like everything else about the powder.

rosewood

Started reloading some 150 SGKs for my .308 M&P10 Saturday. I got my Vortex scope back from repair and need to zero the gun again and also want to develop some accuracy loads for it. Realized my LC brass had super tight necks so I needed to anneal. Finished resizing/trimming all LC brass I had and then tossed in the tumbler. Took the previously prepped LC brass and annealed it in the shop with the propane torch. After drying the brass, proceeded to load more 150 SGKs using IMR4166 powder. The necks tension was what it should be now. Have to anneal that other batch of prepped brass now.

Then proceeded to load some 7mm-08 with 130 Speer BTSP with IMR4166 for the CVA Hunter and some 140 SGKs with IMR4451 in the 6.5 Creedmoor CVA Scout II. Figure some single shot trigger therapy will keep the expense down. I have a good supply of large rifle primers, so not so paranoid about using them up as with SR and SP primers.

Real nice with the tool head on my Dillon 550B. All I have to do to swap between those cartridges is pull the 2 pins, loosen the 2 screws on the powder drop, slide in the tool head with the dies I and put the powder drop on. Takes all of 30 seconds for swap.

Rosewood

Dub

Started reloading some 150 SGKs for my .308 M&P10 Saturday. I got my Vortex scope back from repair and need to zero the gun again and also want to develop some accuracy loads for it. Realized my LC brass had super tight necks so I needed to anneal. Finished resizing/trimming all LC brass I had and then tossed in the tumbler. Took the previously prepped LC brass and annealed it in the shop with the propane torch. After drying the brass, proceeded to load more 150 SGKs using IMR4166 powder. The necks tension was what it should be now. Have to anneal that other batch of prepped brass now.

Then proceeded to load some 7mm-08 with 130 Speer BTSP with IMR4166 for the CVA Hunter and some 140 SGKs with IMR4451 in the 6.5 Creedmoor CVA Scout II. Figure some single shot trigger therapy will keep the expense down. I have a good supply of large rifle primers, so not so paranoid about using them up as with SR and SP primers.

Real nice with the tool head on my Dillon 550B. All I have to do to swap between those cartridges is pull the 2 pins, loosen the 2 screws on the powder drop, slide in the tool head with the dies I and put the powder drop on. Takes all of 30 seconds for swap.

Rosewood

Sounds mighty nice.

I'll be using my 550B for .308, .30'06, .270 & .45/70.

I'm probably gonna be asking you some questions once I reach the point where I'm set up and using it.

Hoping I'll get consistent powder drops using the Dillon Powder Measures on my toolheads, although I don't mind measuring & trickling off-line and using a funnel on their powder die. I suppose the various powders used will have great impact on this.

Looking forward to the getting some time to play with it.

rosewood

Sounds mighty nice.

I'll be using my 550B for .308, .30'06, .270 & .45/70.

I'm probably gonna be asking you some questions once I reach the point where I'm set up and using it.

Hoping I'll get consistent powder drops using the Dillon Powder Measures on my toolheads, although I don't mind measuring & trickling off-line and using a funnel on their powder die. I suppose the various powders used will have great impact on this.

Looking forward to the getting some time to play with it.
I use the dillon measure for rifle cartridges. But have found the Lee auto disk installed on the dilllon is much better and more accurate for pistol cartridges (i.e. 15 grains and less). It is also more repeatable than the dillon.

I have actually used the Dillon drop for 10 rounds, then powder trickled 10 rounds and there was no velocity or accuracy difference between them. I am not real sure a variation of .2-.5 grains when you are in the 40+ grain range is really measurable. I am sure there are some BR shooters on here that will argue with that though...

Rosewood

Last edited:

Dub

I use the dillon measure for rifle cartridges. But have found the Lee auto disk installed on the dilllon is much better and more accurate for pistol cartridges (i.e. 15 grains and less). It is also more repeatable than the dillon.

I have actually used the Dillon drop for 10 rounds, then powder trickled 10 rounds and there was no velocity or accuracy difference between them. I am not real sure a variation of .2-.5 grains when you are in the 40+ grain range is really measurable. I am sure there are some BR shooters on here that will argue with that though...

Rosewood

Sounds mighty encouraging on use of the powder measure. Looking forward to trying it out with rifle and seeing if I can get dialed in.

For starters I'll be using a common powder measure and moving it around between the toolheads on my 550 for my rifle loading.

I'm also prepared to use the manual powder funnel to charge 'em after weighing & trickling up.

Santa dropped off a rare box from Dillon today. Grabbed a couple 550 toolheads & stands with a conversion kit for .270Win.

One will be dedicated to .270Win dies & the other .308Win dies.

rosewood

Just a note, once you get a good collection of conversion kits, you don't have to have caliber specific. Some of the shell plates, locator buttons and powder funnels can be mix and matched to work on different cartridges.

For example. That shell plate and locator button you just bought works for 45 acp and all .308 case head sized cartridges. You will just need the appropriate powder funnel for the given cartridge. You can save a few $$ that way.

That is interesting however, I thought the .284 winchester had a fatter case head.

It seems like for 9mm, I use the shell plate for 40 S&W and the locator button for .223? And since I use the Lee auto Disk and dies, I don't need the powder funnel for the 9mm. However, the 38 special powder funnel will work fine on the 9mm.

Only caveat with powder funnel, some are longer than others even in the same caliber. I.E. the .308 funnel is too short to work for the .300 black out. So you will need a different funnel for it. I actually use the .30 carbine powder funnel with the .300 black out.

There is a chart in the back of the dillon owners manual that shows the required shell plate, locator button and funnel for each given cartridge.

Rosewood

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
Only caveat with powder funnel, some are longer than others even in the same caliber. I.E. the .308 funnel is too short to work for the .300 black out. So you will need a different funnel for it. I actually use the .30 carbine powder funnel with the .300 black out.
Rosewood
isn't that because the cases are different lengths? They want the powder to drop at the top of the stroke without a lot of pressure on the powder measure?

i had the lee auto disc on a Lee loader I had...it was such a PITA that I gave the whole thing away...press and all

pacecars

I reloaded 5 rounds into my revolver to go deer hunting if that counts?

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

isn't that because the cases are different lengths? They want the powder to drop at the top of the stroke without a lot of pressure on the powder measure?

i had the lee auto disc on a Lee loader I had...it was such a PITA that I gave the whole thing away...press and all

It is because of the case lengths, but you have to have enough range to activate the powder drop. Too long and you can't complete the stroke, too short and it won't push the drop far enough. It does have a fairly wide adjustment though. You can probably vary 1-2" before having to have a different funnel.

Man, I love the autodisk on the Dillon. You can buy like 3 of them for the price of a Dillon powder measure. The beauty of the autodisk, once you find the appropriate hole for a given load, it is always dead on, there is no tinkering to get it back to where it was like on the dillon. Also, if you buy the adjustable disk, it has micrometer adjustments. I write down the number and I can come back months from now, use that same setting and it is the exact same amount of powder. I wished the dillon had a micrometer adjustment.

Rosewood

chuckdog

I'm a big fan of the Auto Disk Measure too.

I own at least 5 of them. I have enough disk to to fill a bucket!

rosewood

I'm a big fan of the Auto Disk Measure too.

I own at least 5 of them. I have enough disk to to fill a bucket!
There is no doubt, it looks cheap and appears it wouldn't be reliable, but once you get it setup and start using it, it hit way above its weight class for sure.

Rosewood

Dub

Awesome timing, @GregoryB.

Just had some stuff make it in for .270, including the new Nosler manual. :cheers:

I've kicked myself in the butt on multiple occasions over the last 18+months.....kicking myself for giving away my single stage, dies and gear..... many years ago. Having to pay for stuff you already had is aggravating. Having to do so in this market sucks outright.

Among those dies that a buddy got....were .308Win & .270Win.

Family life demands and work schedule changes pretty much wiped out my hunting......and the reloading that I was doing which was simply to fuel the hunting rifles & revolvers.

Fast forward to present days and there are weekly range sessions and a plan to get back hunting again.

I did hang onto my main hunting rifle from those days.....270 Win M700 BDL stainless. It's had a Timney trigger installed (birthday gift from my wife) and I recently grabbed a replacement stock for it as the plastic factory stock has always been a source of aggravation. Nothing fancy...just something that'll hold up well if banged against a climbing stand and have decent "gripability" while providing stability and aiding repeatable accuracy. Went with a pillar bedded Hogue Overmold that was on sale.

Back in those hunting days my favorite load for it was 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over a healthy dose of H4831SC.

Took a few days, but I was able to find some new dies that just made it in.

Worked out good...will full length size my brass....then swap over to the neck sizer from then on since it'll only be used in this lone M700.

I no longer have the little Model 7 .308 Win that I also hunted with back then.......but I did at an AR-10 .308 two months ago. I defiantly want to load for it, too......so dies were needed.

I was searching for them the same time I was looking for those .270 dies. Lucked out. Wasn't finding very many options in stock....hoping these will work out well for what I need.

I've been stocking up on 150gr Hornady .308 fmj boat tails for the gun. I'm not stacked really deep by any means....but will be able to have some range fun.

I'm sure there are many, many other outstanding hunting bullet choices in .277......many indeed.

If for non other than nostalgic reasons I wanted to return to my roots with this .270....and that meant those 140gr Nosler BT.

Didn't want to spend the $$$$, but also didn't want to get caught with whatever the current & future ammo market brings.

When I found the bullets.....I took my wallet out and bit down on it so I'd not scream out in pain......and made the purchase..........

Grabbed two boxes of these jewels as they were the first handload I'd ever rolled that I killed a deer with. Nostalgia, remember ?

Grabbed the rest because the 140gr BT worked out so dang well for me before in this rifle.......and I hope they do again. Nostalgia again.

Status
Not open for further replies.