Did you Reload anything today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Jester, i don't know about those loads, I would have to research a 3031 load for cast 405. It may be O K or it may be something that would blow the rifle up. You are right to pull them down. Cast bullets can be heck on rifling if the rifle is not made for it.

:D sometimes under charging can be as dangerous as over charging I hear like with 296 or H110...dunno about rifle

more concerned about it coming out of the barrel of my Marlin Lever Gun

Jester896

Senior Clown
well...I watched my buddy load the last 2K 9mm he had primers for and I checked primers and boxed them for him....sniff...I think he held back 3K for him to use.

2 weeks ago there were 6 or so boxes of 6K plated 124gr RN on the floor and today there is 1 box...now maybe he can catch up on rifle building while he waits for a shipment of primers to come in that he has ordered

GregoryB.

Loaded some 140gr Nosler Balistic tips with IMR 4320 for load testing and development for my #1 in 7x57 Mauser and my model 77 in 275 Rigby. Had some factory 139gr PPU Soft Points that they shot well but the didn't hold together on deer. Hope to shoot both this week while taking breaks from fencing in newly acquired land next door.

chuckdog

Loaded some 140gr Nosler Balistic tips with IMR 4320 for load testing and development for my #1 in 7x57 Mauser and my model 77 in 275 Rigby. Had some factory 139gr PPU Soft Points that they shot well but the didn't hold together on deer. Hope to shoot both this week while taking breaks from fencing in newly acquired land next door.

I'd be curious to know how a modern Nosler BT holds together on game.

Great combo of rifle and caliber.

transfixer

a week or more ago I had found .310 dia 123gr sst's in stock, and found 7.62x39 dies in stock, and brass in stock, all at different places,, waited hoping to find it all in one place,, bad decision, now the dies are all sold out, bullets were sold out, still can order brass as of this morning, finally found the bullets at natchez shooters supply this am, ordered them, now to order the brass and then search for dies,,, its like scavenging for treasure ! lol

marlin

I’m shooting 140 gr ballistic tips in a 7-08. I’ve had great success with them. Most shots are behind the shoulder with short tracking with a good blood trail. Shots through the shoulder with the same results. Also shoot 125 gr ballistic tips in 308 with same results.

Jester896

Senior Clown
a week or more ago I had found .310 dia 123gr sst's in stock, and found 7.62x39 dies in stock, and brass in stock, all at different places,, waited hoping to find it all in one place,, bad decision, now the dies are all sold out, bullets were sold out, still can order brass as of this morning, finally found the bullets at natchez shooters supply this am, ordered them, now to order the brass and then search for dies,,, its like scavenging for treasure ! lol

there were 2 cases in something i sorted the other day...you can have those :D

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
These are ready to go for the AR in 450 BM
I've got a Savage Haymaker in 450 BM that is overdue on delivery and cannot wait to load for that too.
20201030_084613.jpg

Nimrod71

My cousin David came by today wanting to look at a 243 cartridge. His daughter is wanting a deer rifle and doesn't know what to get. Her son hunts with a 243 and has killed a couple of deer with it. He is young and has had a cases of bad shot placement and therefore has had to track deer he shot. Well, I didn't have any 243's loaded. I know what he really wanted was for me to loan his daughter a 243 to hunt with. I told him to bring her by and I will let her shoot the rifle here at my house. So, I loaded a box of 243's with Sierra 100 gr. Spt. bullets over 35 gr. IMR 4064. My rifle makes a nice clover leaf at 100 yds. with this load.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I am about to work up something for my new to me .243. I have a few bullets lined up from 85gr to 105gr I think. I got a picatinny and some rings in for it this week and sized and trimmed some cases and cleaned them in the ultra sonic...turn the cases a little dark....going to run them anyway. I will keep that load in mind when I do it...it is also a youth ADL so it's kinds short :)

bullgator

I am about to work up something for my new to me .243. I have a few bullets lined up from 85gr to 105gr I think. I got a picatinny and some rings in for it this week and sized and trimmed some cases and cleaned them in the ultra sonic...turn the cases a little dark....going to run them anyway. I will keep that load in mind when I do it...it is also a youth ADL so it's kinds short :)
Run down to WallyWorld and get a slip-on recoil pad to add to the LOP. A friend gave me a youth .243 Savage a couple of years ago and that’s what I did.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a stock pack that might come in handy for that as well.
looking it over well...I might just use it with heavy clothing and I might want to limit the shooting distance to under 175 yards with a 90-105gr bullet...you know kid and gurls distances...as the big guys keep saying :D

transfixer

I've been running this same load in my M77 .243 for years, 43grs of 4350 behind either a 85gr or 87gr bthp , should be the same for soft points, give me sub moa groups out of that rifle, if I remember right they're supposed to be running 3100-3200fps or so, although I've not chronographed it. Shooting high shoulder shots its a DRT load, they never leave the spot they were when I pulled the trigger.

transfixer

I'll be loading up some 7.62x39 sst's later this week I hope, I've got the dies now, got one box of 123gr sst's and another on the way, got a 100 pieces of new brass coming one day this week, gotta research some loads, this caliber is brand new to me ! as far as reloading for it goes anyway,,,,

Last edited:

chuckdog

I loaded 45 "Duke's Mixture" .308 Win early this morning. (I started around 4a.m.)

I loaded 150gr Hornady FMJ over 49.5grs of CFE. The brass used was WCC mil-spec, Winchester, Federal, Remington, and whatever other stragglers I found. The primers were reclaimed from pulled loads and primed brass of calibers I no longer own.

Some of the brass was close to beating me on resizing. I don't recall having to use that much force on anything before. I had more of that particular mil-spec brass that's now in the recycle box.

I prepped 100 new Remington .308 Win brass, 100 new Winchester 308 Win brass. FL sized, uniformed length, debur, etc.

This evening I FL sized and uniformed 100 new Winchester 30-06. Primed half of them. I also FL sized and uniformed about half of the second 250 of 500 .223 Rem mixed brass I recently found. I ran out of steam...

To say my hands are tired and hurting is a HUGE understatement!

Reactions: Dub

chuckdog

I'll be loading up some 7.62x39 sst's later this week I hope, I've got the dies now, got one box of 123gr sst's and another on the way, got a 100 pieces of new brass coming one day this week, gotta research some loads, this caliber is brand new to me ! as far as reloading for it goes anyway,,,,

I have some Winchester 123gr Power Point if you'd like to give them a try.

123 Power Point.jpg

Reactions: Dub

frankwright

Since I have three times as many large pistol primers as small, I have been working on 1000 Bayou 200gr SWC in 45 ACP.
I will shoot most of them in my G21 at our Thursday night IDPA matches.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I've been running this same load in my M77 .243 for years, 43grs of 4350 behind either a 85gr or 87gr bthp , should be the same for soft points, give me sub moa groups out of that rifle, if I remember right they're supposed to be running 3100-3200fps or so, although I've not chronographed it. Shooting high shoulder shots its a DRT load, they never leave the spot they were when I pulled the trigger.
I think I have some 85gr Sierras but wanted to stay closer to the 100gr. I have 2 different Hornadys the 100gr BTSP Interlock and the 103 ELD-X. I have something from Speer..just can't remember what it is...and the Lighter Sierras. Got 20 cases prepped for sight in and ladders.
if you need more cases maybe I can stir some boxer primed up to swap ya.

transfixer

I think I have some 85gr Sierras but wanted to stay closer to the 100gr. I have 2 different Hornadys the 100gr BTSP Interlock and the 103 ELD-X. I have something from Speer..just can't remember what it is...and the Lighter Sierras. Got 20 cases prepped for sight in and ladders.

if you need more cases maybe I can stir some boxer primed up to swap ya.

I think I tried some 100gr stuff when I first started loading for my .243, but then went to the 85/87 gr stuff, I was after speed, and it seems to work well for me with that rifle, its an old tang safety model, I think I bought it around 82 or so.

I've got about 30cases I've already fired from the Hornady black ammo I bought recently, with those and the 100 I have coming I'm good for a while, I'm just loading this ammo for hunting, I'll still shoot the Russian/chinese stuff for plinking

thanks for the offer though!

Status
Not open for further replies.