Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullgator

I shot 10 rounds of 9mm and 10 rounds of 5.56 today. It was a safety and qualifications class to join a private range. I joined under their remote precision membership that allows access to a 2000 yard range. The remote membership is for those that live far enough away that they won’t be there often enough to pay for a full membership. I’m good for 5 visits a year. The 2000 yard range is used for PRS matches and they have steel targets already set up. The 500 yard range also has steel at known distances. There’s also a 100 yard range with handgun steel. Since it’s a training facility they allow holstered sidearms as well as shooting from a draw.

Dub

I shot 10 rounds of 9mm and 10 rounds of 5.56 today. It was a safety and qualifications class to join a private range. I joined under their remote precision membership that allows access to a 2000 yard range. The remote membership is for those that live far enough away that they won’t be there often enough to pay for a full membership. I’m good for 5 visits a year. The 2000 yard range is used for PRS matches and they have steel targets already set up. The 500 yard range also has steel at known distances. There’s also a 100 yard range with handgun steel. Since it’s a training facility they allow holstered sidearms as well as shooting from a draw.

That sounds like paradise (y)(y)(y)(y)

bullgator

That sounds like paradise (y)(y)(y)(y)
It’s almost 2 hours away......so I joined to check DOPE on any new loads. I can also use the 500 yard range to play with hunting rifles and loads.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I didn't shoot anything today....but today I did make a couple guns a little bit easier to shoot.

I've got about 1/3 of my bench top cleared off for gun cleaning & tinkering.

Today...was tinkering time.

Got some more work to do before bedtime.

There is a .44mag SRH & M70 calling my name......

I shot that .22 match yesterday in that 15mph wind with gusts.
Managed to keep all but about 6 in the 10 or X ring out of the 60 rounds

That's some great shooting...period. Taking into account that type of wind makes it phenomenal as far as I'm concerned.

I believe I've been bitten by a rimfire bug.

This weekend I acted on a powerful urge to set up a .22lr near identical to my 6.5.

I'll post up the details shortly.

Adam5

I shot my S&W 17 for the first time in a while, shot my Ruger Charger for the first time, and ran a few rounds through my two S&W Shield Plus Performance Centers after having the sight swapped between them.

I can see the Ruger Charger .22 quickly becoming my favorite toy, especially after I get a folding brace for it and my Suppressor is out of ATF jail. 914AA245-5A4D-45D1-AA23-DDAAF455E119.jpeg

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I posted a picture of my nice cleaned up and organized work table a month or so ago...

Now, it looks like Midway USA exploded on it again... ? ?

Dub

I shot my S&W 17 for the first time in a while, shot my Ruger Charger for the first time, and ran a few rounds through my two S&W Shield Plus Performance Centers after having the sight swapped between them.

I can see the Ruger Charger .22 quickly becoming my favorite toy, especially after I get a folding brace for it and my Suppressor is out of ATF jail. View attachment 1146085

Looks like you had some relaxing time getting them cleaned up.

A good day off for me finds me at a range in the morning.....chores & errands afterwards and then winding it down in the late afternoon with a pot of coffee and a gun cleaning session while watching news, etc.

5-6 more years and erry'day can be a day off. :rofl:

I'm interested in seeing your ongoing impressions with the Charger. I can see where it would be superfun using that bipod and walking shots onto a distant target and hearing it ring out,

I posted a picture of my nice cleaned up and organized work table a month or so ago...

Now, it looks like Midway USA exploded on it again... ? ?

I remember that pic well.....your bench was open space. Neat. Organized.

It's good for them to get that way in between projects. My problem is that my benches currently look like Sandford & Son's yard. :rofl:

I did spend the time to clear off 1/3 of one of them so I could have some space to mount a couple scopes....and move scopes around between rifles....and replace mounts/rings on older guns. It was clean, clear, uncluttered....that 1/3 of the bench.

Now....a few days later....it's kinda sorta right back where it started....piled up with the theme music playing once again......

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Looks like you had some relaxing time getting them cleaned up.

A good day off for me finds me at a range in the morning.....chores & errands afterwards and then winding it down in the late afternoon with a pot of coffee and a gun cleaning session while watching news, etc.

5-6 more years and erry'day can be a day off. :rofl:

I'm interested in seeing your ongoing impressions with the Charger. I can see where it would be superfun using that bipod and walking shots onto a distant target and hearing it ring out,

I remember that pic well.....your bench was open space. Neat. Organized.

It's good for them to get that way in between projects. My problem is that my benches currently look like Sandford & Son's yard. :rofl:

I did spend the time to clear off 1/3 of one of them so I could have some space to mount a couple scopes....and move scopes around between rifles....and replace mounts/rings on older guns. It was clean, clear, uncluttered....that 1/3 of the bench.

Now....a few days later....it's kinda sorta right back where it started....piled up with the theme music playing once again......

:rofl: I can name that tune in two notes....

rosewood

I did spend the time to clear off 1/3 of one of them so I could have some space to mount a couple scopes....and move scopes around between rifles....and replace mounts/rings on older guns.

[/MEDIA]

Playing musical scopes huh? I do that once and again when I get a new one.

Rosewood

Dub

Playing musical scopes huh? I do that once and again when I get a new one.

Rosewood

Yep.

About to tell on myself....how long it's been since shooting certain guns....and how heavy-handed I tended to be "in the old days".

So...years ago I was a new member of semi-local hunt club. Toward the end of the first season I got a call from the VP of the club, Mr. Woody Coffee.....one in the same Woody Coffee who founded this wonderful forum we are enjoying here.

He asked me if I was done hunting for the year....if not, he offered up one of his stands where he'd been seeing does with regularity. I was mighty grateful and I took him up on the offer. Last morning of the season I was in his stand ....rifle in hand...my old .270. Right on schedule does started crossing a trail about 150yds from the stand.

Woody had a nice bag rest for the forend....you simply couldn't ask for a better rifle rested shot.....all I had to do was line up the crosshairs and not jerk the trigger.

Shot the first doe......then a minute later another crossed...shot her, too.

Unloaded my rifle and and made ready to get down from the nice comfortable stand.

Walked the trail a few minutes later to the "ambush" spot where I knew I'd hit 'em while they crossed the path.

Both had jumped at the shot....figured they'd be piled up in the brush a few steps off the trail.

Nope.

No does.

No blood.

No hair.

No nothing. Spent a couple hours making sure.

Season was over and it was a while afterwards that I went to the range to shoot that gun again....shooting the same ammo that I had with me on that hunt. Shooting at the club's short range. Erratic grouping....way erratic.

I'd handloaded that ammo. 140gr Nosler BT over H4831sc. The gun, M700 BDL stainless, shot those loads really well....before.

After a while I got around to pulling the bullets using a kinetic hammer...weighed up the charges...consistent.

In time I started checking the scope, VX3 4.5-14x50mm ....discovered in time there was a broken mount screw.

So...this single event wound up starting a series of scopes being moving around. I began using a torque wrench from that point forward. No more heavy handedness on my part.

rosewood

Picked up the wheeler fat wrench up at BPS on clearance several years back. That was when I realized I had been torquing all of my scope screws way too much. Fortunately, I never broke one like you.

Rosewood

Dub

Picked up the wheeler fat wrench up at BPS on clearance several years back. That was when I realized I had been torquing all of my scope screws way too much. Fortunately, I never broke one like you.

Rosewood

(y)(y)(y)

When I hear people grumble over the cost of a torque wrench, quality mounts, solid gear etc.....I'll share that story with them.

Getting a day off to spend in the woods....high value.

Getting a shot on some good eating deer.....high value.

Being able to call Mr Woody and thank him for the opportunity to hunt his nice stand....priceless.

What would have really topped it off....also being able to tell him that two clean kills were made from his stand....and the deer were right on schedule as he'd said they likely would be.......would've have been mighty nice. :banginghe

frankwright

First range trip for my Walther PDP compact. First Walther I ever owned.
Fired 100+ FMJ,JHP and coated flat point. Zero problems.

Trigger has a bit more take up then some but is light and smooth and reset is very short and smooth.

Walther PDP range trip.jpg I do not care for the 3 dot sights as the rear is very wide. I ordered some Truglo TFX Pros for it. It is optic ready but this will be an iron sight gun.
Feels very good in the hand and quick back on target.

rosewood

Trigger has a bit more take up then some but is light and smooth and reset is very short and smooth.

View attachment 1146441 I do not care for the 3 dot sights as the rear is very wide. I ordered some Truglo TFX Pros for it. It is optic ready but this will be an iron sight gun.
Love me some Truglo TFO/TFX sights. :) I would put them on about every gun I might ever carry if they made them to fit.

Rosewood

Dub

View attachment 1146441 I do not care for the 3 dot sights as the rear is very wide. I ordered some Truglo TFX Pros for it. It is optic ready but this will be an iron sight gun.

That looks really well laid out. Controls easily reachable.

I like what I'm seeing with the relief under trigger guard and real estate at the beavertail. Appears to afford a nice high hand placement.

Optics ready, too. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.