Did you shoot anything today ?

I shot my new-to-me Marlin 25MN. 14rds off-hand at 25yds into a 2 inch circle. I wouldn't win any Olympic medals but I was happy enough for the first time out with it. I want to out it on the bench to see how well it shoots.

Seven years and seven months after I last shot it, I took my FN manufactured Model 70 Featherweight chambered in 7X57 out to the range yesterday (Tuesday.)

I bought the rifle new in April of 2013. I had fired eight rounds through it right after I received it. At that time I loaded 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with as of now unknown powder. My box labeling was damaged.

I took that same Remington brass neck sized it, seated eight vintage Vintage 139.jpg 139gr Hornady Spire Point atop 50grs of RL19 @ 3.115" OAL to see what I would find.

The the load was arbitrarily chosen. Never tried this combo before. My guess would be close to 2800 fps at the muzzle.

From a cold clean barrel at 100yds the first two are 4" low and under an inch ctr to ctr. Easy extraction and nice round edged Winchester primers.

I moved the elevation up 28 clicks, then back down 4 and fired a third shot. It came in at 2" above POA, exactly where it should have.

I was running out of light so I stopped for the day.

This combination shows promise. I'm pleased!

Yep, that's $5.18 for 100 139gr bullets and a 1941 Mercury Dime in the pic.

FeatherWeight.jpg

kmckinnie

Useles Moderator
Staff member
Shot the 22 mag yesterday!
New cheap scope. A Hawke 3x9 !
It zeroed quick. Set it a tad high at 40ty yards. Looked dead on at about 80 yds.
Guess the varmit gun is ready.
The rifle is a cheap marlin. Stainless. Bolt action.