Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankwright

Yes, I shot an IDPA match in Tallapoosa today. It was pretty dang hot and humid.
Canik TPDSFX show great I did not. 19 out of 35 but heck I am old and fat!

Attachments

• Canik Blackout.jpg
    Canik Blackout.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 4

sbroadwell

Took a silhouette target out in the yard and shot 23 rounds through the 1911. Mainly looking for an excuse to clean it, lol. I love cleaning guns, even more fun than making fishing rods.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I’ve never had success getting accuracy with Barnes bullets. I decided to try one more time. This is the .284 120gr. TTSX in my 7mm-08 Remington LVSF.

Rl15 on left at about .480 and CFE 223 at .380 for 3 shots.View attachment 1038183

Encouraging. Gotta be glad you gave 'em anther chance.

How was the velocity on those ?

bullgator

Encouraging. Gotta be glad you gave 'em anther chance.

How was the velocity on those ?
I haven’t run them over a chrono yet, but since they shoot I’ll do it now. It’s only a 20” barrel so I’m guessing around 2850.

Dub

Yes, I shot an IDPA match in Tallapoosa today. It was pretty dang hot and humid.
Canik TPDSFX show great I did not. 19 out of 35 but heck I am old and fat!

Good for you, boss.

Getting out there and having fun.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Took my new Tikka T3X Hunter in .260 Rem out to the range today with handloads to see what it will do.
Its a keeper!
20200909_183725.jpgRange 100yds.
143gr ELDx
1st shot was a fouling shot with cold clean bore, next three grouped nicely.
20200914_141959.jpg
2nd load was 130gr Sierra GK hpbt.
Same deal. One fouling shot and 3 in a ragged hole.
20200914_144347.jpg

Dub

Took my new Tikka T3X Hunter in .260 Rem out to the range today with handloads to see what it will do.
Its a keeper!
View attachment 1038697Range 100yds.
143gr ELDx
1st shot was a fouling shot with cold clean bore, next three grouped nicely.
View attachment 1038698
2nd load was 130gr Sierra GK hpbt.
Same deal. One fouling shot and 3 in a ragged hole.
View attachment 1038700

Very nice !!!!!

Nice tight groups with those loads.

Stainless fluted barrel & wood stock look sharp, too.

Dub

Took a silhouette target out in the yard and shot 23 rounds through the 1911. Mainly looking for an excuse to clean it, lol. I love cleaning guns, even more fun than making fishing rods.

I'm jealous.....walking out into the backyard and doing target work with a 1911 would be more fun for me than having a fishing pond out back. Wouldn't scoff at either.

I'd want some steel targets in the worst way. Big fun !!!

Shot at 50 rounds of 5 stand clays, hit about 7-8 maybe, may try a different choke. I am not a gun enthusiast and only shoot a few times a year. May start shooting more, it was embarrassing today.

Good for you. Keep after and go more often. You could be busting them quick with some good instruction.

I know the feeling of missing. I'm not a shotgunner and it becomes evident at the first station, lol.

Doesn't change the fact that it's very, very fun. One of these days I'm going to take a buddy up on some shooting lessons and start going with his sporting clays group. Looks like a super replacement for golf. (y) All that's missing is the free time. It's on my list of fun stuff to get into, though.

ChidJ

Y’all are brave to go out shooting. It’s getting to be about the most expensive thing to do.

I went and shot some 38s and 357s from the stash and looked in the ammo can.... looked a little low. No problem, I thought. Time to go buy another case.

WRONG. I can hardly find anything in 38 or 357 that isn’t nearly a dollar a round. Ludicrous

tr21

Y’all are brave to go out shooting. It’s getting to be about the most expensive thing to do.

I went and shot some 38s and 357s from the stash and looked in the ammo can.... looked a little low. No problem, I thought. Time to go buy another case.

WRONG. I can hardly find anything in 38 or 357 that isn’t nearly a dollar a round. Ludicrous
are you crazy? even if you can find ammo the prices are crazy! i'm hording what i have for the Big Igloo. that's when you'll need every round you can get your hands on !

sbroadwell

Dub - as for shooting steel, I've thought about it. I can't just shoot in any direction, though, only three places where I have a good backstop. About the longest shooting distance I can get at either of those places is 12-15 yards. I've been worried about richochets coming back and hitting me at those ranges. I don't have any experience with steel. Is this something to worry about? I shot at a silhouette target the other day. Usually, I just preing off smaller targets and tape them to a piece of cardboard. Or, the most fun of all, shoot at Coke cans. That's in my heritage, grew up doing that.

And, I'm still pretty good on target ammo for .45, 9mm and .357. Bought 500 of each recently at GA Arms, and the price wasn't too bad.

ChidJ

@sbroadwell if you get steel targets made by a reputable company, you don’t have to worry about ricochets as long as you set them up the way they are designed to be. Once you get within 10 yards, you will get little chunks of jacket that sometimes fling back at you, especially with rifle rounds (No manufacturers recommend shooting steel with rifles at 10 yards). I’ve had some little superficial cuts from shooting from maybe 5 yards but as long as you wear eye protection, you’ll be fine.

None of what I’ve said applies to a situation where you are shooting pots and pans and misc metal garbage. Then it’s anyone’s guess what the projectile will do.

sbroadwell

@sbroadwell if you get steel targets made by a reputable company, you don’t have to worry about ricochets as long as you set them up the way they are designed to be. Once you get within 10 yards, you will get little chunks of jacket that sometimes fling back at you, especially with rifle rounds (No manufacturers recommend shooting steel with rifles at 10 yards). I’ve had some little superficial cuts from shooting from maybe 5 yards but as long as you wear eye protection, you’ll be fine.

None of what I’ve said applies to a situation where you are shooting pots and pans and misc metal garbage. Then it’s anyone’s guess what the projectile will do.

Thanks. I wouldn’t shoot miscellaneous metal things. I’ll do some Googling on steel targets.

Dub

Ricochet can be a concern at short range with steel targets.

Please make sure you read the use & setup instructions fore each type of target.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
After owning it for 20 years or more, I put a scope on my T/C Omega, and sighted her in at 100 yds...Thread in MZ forum if interested.

Nimrod71

My friends and I had our Sunday morning shoot out today. I used my 6 mm Rem 700 Varmint 308 Win Howa. In the 6 mm I tried some Sie 107, this is the first time I used a bullet this heavy in 6 mm. I know the rifling is not right for the bullet but i wanted to just try it and see how it would do. I was surprised at 100 yds. the shots were about 3 inches low. It had about a 2 1/2 group which was not good but I didn't think it that bad for my first load. Oh well, I have got something to work on. I also fired the rifles pet load. Sie 85 gr. HPBT. Fired 5 shots 1/2 inch group.

The Howa was what I really wanted to work out. I bought this rifle last year for a rainy day and truck/ATV rifle. I don't like my favorite rifles getting rained on and beat up. I have been wanting to try the Sie 165 HPBT just for something different. The rifle shot better than expected. The 5 shot group was about 2 inches low and 2 inch spread. Not bad I thought for my first load. The rifle is sighted in for 150 Sie. Pro Hunters but I caught Speer 150's on sale and I had to buy them so I loaded up 10 to try out. The load impressed me, they were on target with about a 1 inch spread. I will be trying them on deer in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.