Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimrod71

I took a break from shooting today and went fishing. Yes, I do fish, love to fish. I'm as good a fisherman as I am a hunter, I'm and Expert. I can tell you the old saying: Teach a kid to hunt and fish and they will never go hungry, its true, I have lost weight and I still bend the scales at 230 lbs. Now todays report: I fished the Altamaha river this morning and I caught 41 fish of which I brought home 16 big ones, giant Shellcrackers. I lost two big ones at the boat, a 3 ft. Mudfish straightened the hook and got off, thank goodness. As I headed up river to Eason's Bluff I looked to my right by some willows and there was a giant Allygator. I guarantee you he was at least 12 feet long. I wanted to make sure of his size to I turned the boat around an drifted back past him. He did run, he just lifted his head and looked at me. I'm glad I was in my 16 ft. SeaArk. Now time to get out in the yard and clean fish, wife wants fish, grits, hushpuppies, coleslaw and tea for supper. C. J> just called and wants to shoot tomorrow so after fish cleaning I'll load up some 308 and 6 mm.

marlin

I sent a Ruger #1 7mm mag back to Ruger to have the barrel replaced. Got it back on Thursday. Broke it in yesterday with a box of 175 gr Winchester power points. Only thing I could find. After shooting 14 of them it was shooting a little less than an inch. Then sighted in to hunt with 150 gr Winchester ballistic tips. Ready for another 27 years. Cudo’s to Ruger for an exceptional barrel.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I cleaned my new .243 and tried to mount a scope on it. It seems that the EGW rail I bought isn't going to level without bedding it. Didn't know what happened to my release agent so I pulled out the Johnson's paste wax and gave it a couple of good coats...then it hit me...I threw my bottle of release agent away when I put that bedding compound in that Hogue Stock...dug through the trash..since nobody seems to empty it...and found the jar...now it seems I am watching paint dry so I can put JB Weld on it and bed it...guess we will mount the scope later...sure wanted to shoot that ladder tomorrow.

I did find a little rough patch in the barrel about a couple of inches off the chamber...got that lapped out pretty much and checked it again with the borescope. Hate that my WiFi one wouldn't got in that little hole...that would have made a good video.

Last edited:

Nimrod71

Just got back from the range. I am still having problems with my 6 mm. Now I am blaming my bad shooting on the tork of the action screws. When I changed the trigger last week I didn't use my tork wrench to tighten the action screws and I think I tightened the back one first. That's my story an I'm sticking to it.

Before I changed triggers the rifle was shooting wonderful dime size clover leaf three shot groups. Now it shoots about a quarter inch group. Same cases, same bullet, same powder and primer.

Todays job. Dismantle rifle and tork action screws correctly. Neck size and deprime fifty pieces of 6 mm brass. Measure all brass and trim to length. Load up ten rounds and head back to the range and try again.

I love having things to work on. Keeps and old man young and useful.

frankwright

I did! I shot a sanctioned IDPA match at Riverbend Gun Club!
I did poorly for many reasons, I am old and slow!
I have a sinus infection and am on a week of strong steroids that keep me from sleeping and feel generally poor.
My grip is absolutely horrible right there. Don't ever grip a handgun that poorly and you will do better than me.
Went with two friends and ran into a bunch more and had a good time.
It was still shooting!Frank IDPA 11 2020.jpg

chuckdog

It's amazing how well I can still use a peep sight. I test fired a couple of iron sight AR's today.

A 50 yd zero, I was able to maintain what I consider excellent shot placement at 100.

I also zero'd a red dot on another. I pre-placed the dot on top of the front sight, and it took little adjustment to be tearing centers out at 50 yds.

I have to admit it was fun using a red dot on a long gun. It is something that never really interested me.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Speaking of red dots, I gave myself five more shots with the G40MOS today...

This time sitting on a dove stool with my shooting stick at 30 yards.

Taking my time, I made five good, clean, killing shots on my gongs.

Seeing as how I can settle in better out of my climbers than on the stick, I am confident in making a shot on a critter out to about 35 yds.

Working toward 50, five shots at a time.

Nimrod71

I burned some powder today. I have just about got my 6 mm working again, but I may change out the scope mount again. I ran 10 rounds of Sierra 70 Match King and 10 rounds of Sierra 85 BTHP through it. I was really surprised that the 4064 shot the best with the 70 gr and 4895 shot better with the 85 gr. I got the 70 gr. three shot group down to half inch. I am feeling better. The 85 gr. is still out a little but I will get it back in line.

Now the Ruger American 243. I am having problems with pressure signs from the cases. I loaded Soerra 100 gr bullets over 35 gr. of IMR 4064 and got blown primers. I dropped the load to 34 grs and still got blown primers. Now I have loaded them with IMR 4895 I'll see how it works tomorrow.

The Thompson Center 7-30 carbine shot good. In fact I was surprised at how good it shot. I fired a three shot group and the holes were within a 2 inch circle. That will kill a deer. I'm thinking of carrying it hunting in the morning.

chuckdog

The only time I've experienced blown primers was caused by some H4831 powder that had went bad due to age and poor storage and another was human error setting up my scales.

Both made me sick at me not detecting the flaws at the time of loading.

Are the .243 rounds easy to chamber? Maybe need trimming? A quick check at the Hodgdon site tells me your nowhere near what I believe to be an over pressure load.

Do you have a factory round or two just to compare after firing? Maybe headspace issues?

Blown primers scare me.

Reactions: Dub

chuckdog

Speaking of red dots, I gave myself five more shots with the G40MOS today...

This time sitting on a dove stool with my shooting stick at 30 yards.

Taking my time, I made five good, clean, killing shots on my gongs.

Seeing as how I can settle in better out of my climbers than on the stick, I am confident in making a shot on a critter out to about 35 yds.

Working toward 50, five shots at a time.

I love red dots on target pistols. I use one off and on on a 5.5" bull barrel Ruger 22lr for shooting 4" steel plates.

Several years ago I installed one on a Ruger SRH .454 Casull. It did not survive!

Sounds like you have an excellent hunting combination.

Standing freehand I have more confidence with a handgun than a rifle 50 yds and in. Of course I've practiced a lot more with a handgun too.

chuckdog

I took three 9mm handguns out today.

They needed the exercise and so did I.

The wind kept things moving and the sun kept darkening my glasses.

I shot a few slow fire for group, but mostly tested my skills with several rapid fire targets.

I put around three hundred rounds downrange.

One, my "go to" Springfield XD Service. I simply shoot it well.

Two, a second generation XDS that rides with me while on the job. I simply shoot it with exceptional results.

Three, a Ruger Security 9. It's my "truck gun."
I bought it because it was a low cost high capacity pistol. It also has Ruger on it.
If this pistol didn't have a manual safety and magazines cost less I could really like it.

The majority of what I shot today were 115gr Winchester HP with 4.8grs of Universal propelling them.

It was a good day!

Nimrod71

When I returned from my morning in the woods I loaded up the Tahoe and headed to the gun range. Today I tried out some new loads for my 6 mm Rem as well as some tested loads and my old 22-250 with some Nosler 55 gr.

I should of stayed home. My shooting was terrible. I shot a 1/2 inch group last week with the 6 mm, today I was so bad I didn't even measure the shots. Even with the load from last week I was bad off. As I told my friends there, I was having a bad day and the rifle can shoot better than I can.

Now I do a little better with the 22-250 but I was off with it two. I did get 3 out of 5 in a clover leaf.

I guess I was just tired from getting up at 5:30 and climbing the tree with my Gun Slinger and sitting for 5 hours. Oh well, tomorrow will be better.

Dub

Ya’ll are each out there getting it done and having fun.

Up early....hunting....then going to shoot rifles........fishing and bringing home a feast......shooting IDPA when sick & run down but refusing to let it keep you down......accurizing your gear, tuning things and optimizing the weapon yourself......and rolling your own ammo....etc.

When I grow up, I hope to fall into step with you guys. I just hope I don’t wear out before I grow up. :rofl:

Great job, gentlemenz. Much respect.

GregoryB.

I shot my Ruger #1 in 257 Weatherby. Dropped it on the scope last week when I was sick, then in a brilliant move I started adjusting the scope while checking zero. Not smart. Got it straightened out yesterday. Then I shot my Ruger 77 RSI in 275 Rigby. Trying to work up a load with 140gr NBT. Just over a inch was the best I could do. Back to the bench to work up some more loads. Hopefully the higher powder charges will shoot a little tighter.

Nimrod71

Dub, you will make it, just hang in there. I started shooting guns when I was 6 years old. I started reloading in 1970. The only reason I worked was so I could hunt and fish. My whole life has been about the outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping and playing at being a Mountain Man.

Now today my wife has me raking pine straw for her trees and then moving the freezer and a few other chores. But once I finish my duties I am loading up more 6 mm's. I also think I will change the scope mounts on it too. The ones that are on it now don't fit my eye as good as I like. Then off to the gun club and more fun. Ya'll have fun today.

Status
Not open for further replies.