Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Went to the range today. It was cold and windy. Set up a makeshift stage of fire and shot some 300 yard steel. CECDF331-26B0-48A8-866D-CC540689BB56.jpegI was surprised how well my son’s SBR did. He has been shooting the rifle in AK only matches. He really likes it. Lots of fun... never a malfunction.

Attachments

• 1608853157723.jpeg
    1608853157723.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 7

chuckdog

Tested some .357 magnum that I loaded using small rifle primers. The GP100 had no issue setting them off.

Below is 6 rounds fired double action @ 10 yards as quickly as I could realign my sights and squeeze.

Definitely two rounds through the lowermost hole. It appears that two went though the bull. Either that, or I missed it entirely.

The back side of the target gives a better view.

All the years of shooting striker fired plastic seems to have paid dividends shooting double action steel too.

Yep, for an older guy that has hardly shot in the last 4 or 5 years shooting fuzzy sights with weaker hands I'm right happy with this D/A group of 158gr XTP and 16.3 grs of W296.

12-26 gp100dagroup1.jpg

12-26 backside.jpg

Dub

Tested some .357 magnum that I loaded using small rifle primers. The GP100 had no issue setting them off.

Below is 6 rounds fired double action @ 10 yards as quickly as I could realign my sights and squeeze.

Definitely two rounds through the lowermost hole. It appears that two went though the bull. Either that, or I missed it entirely.

The back side of the target gives a better view.

All the years of shooting striker fired plastic seems to have paid dividends shooting double action steel too.

Yep, for an older guy that has hardly shot in the last 4 or 5 years shooting fuzzy sights with weaker hands I'm right happy with this D/A group of 158gr XTP and 16.3 grs of W296.

Mighty nice shooting.

My skills with DA revolver are severely lacking. Hoping to get some serious practice with it. Going to roll out some loads for the little J-Frame and Redhawk a get some frequent DAO sessions in to help shore up this deficiency.

chuckdog

As primarily a bullseye target, big bore heavy magnum shooter I've rarely shot double action over the years.

I was not a "natural." In the beginning regardless of type I couldn't reliably hit the side of a barn with a handgun. I was young, very foolish, yet also quite determined to conquer the challenge.

My first handgun was a beautiful 4" Smith Model 15 Masterpiece K Frame .38 Special that I traded an Uncle out of. After about a year of struggling I traded it for a new Ruger Single Six Convertible for lower cost shooting. Hindsight has had me kicking myself many times over the years.

I was 19 at the time. 22lr could be bought at my local Western Auto for around $7/brick, .38's were almost that much for 50 rounds. My introduction to handloading was still around 6 years away.

There's no telling how many bricks I went through self diagnosing my lacking handgun skills.

I did it though. From my mid 20's on my competence grew along with my confidence. The first 1911 I picked up was like finding an extension of my own hand.

As life goes, we learn, peak, and start the decline from our apex.

There was a period that I would have never been satisfied with such a group, certainly not enough to ever post it for the world to see. It becomes much more of a challenge to shoot fuzzy sight pictures with weakened aching hands than most healthy people in their prime can imagine.

That was then. Today six magnum velocity loads shot d/a at a fairly rapid fire pace, I'm ok. Given primers, powder and decent health I still expect better of myself!

snooker1

Practice how you carry.

I carry IWB so today we decided to do a little skills building drills. I parked my truck on the range, got in and put my seatbelt on. On the buzzer I had to draw from the holster and fire two rounds out the window at the man target, then I would bail out and run around the truck run 30 yards to the 15 yard line and fire two rounds on each target (targets 20 feet apart) timed event. My buddy loads my magazines, never puts the same number of live rounds in each magazine and he puts a couple of dummy rounds in each magazine so I have to work through malfunctions. Shot a total of 100 rounds 6-8 rounds each drill. We finished up drawing from the IWB and firing 2 rounds on each target (on a buzzer). All drills were done on time. First drill was 12 seconds and second was 3 seconds. We do this drill in a couple different versions, I don't just let anyone shot from my truck, sometimes I just use a chair. I think if someone carries CCW they should practice how they carry. I also believe dummy rounds are a priceless tool, being able to quickly work through a malfunction is just as important as being able to reload quickly. Shooting when your heart rate and breathing in jacked up and fatigue is setting in adds a little extra to the event. The training and reps are well worth it.

Attachments

• targets .jpg
    targets .jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 8

Nimrod71

It was raw at the rifle range this morning, but it was better than sitting on the couch watching reruns. I have been working on my Mod. 70 in 250 Savage. This rifle has given me fits for years. It works sometimes at others it is all over the paper. A few weeks ago I worked up a new load for it using IMR 4895 and Sierra 87 gr. bullets. They worked really good giving a quarter size group at 100 yards. I wanted to deer hunt with it so I started to work on a 100 bullet load. I started with IMR 4895 and Sierra 100 gr. Pro Hunter. I only loaded 5 rounds, good thing too, they didn't shoot as good as I hoped. They had about a 3 inch spread at 100 yards and they were high and a little to the left. I had a couple of the 87 gr. loads in a box to I decided to check and see if was the rifle again or the 100 gr. load. I fired a three shot group dead on target you could cover with a dime. I was relieved. Now back to the manuals and find a better load.

Reactions: Dub

snooker1

Had 12 leftover rounds from the other day so I decided to shot them. (3) at 100 yards (9) at 150 yards. My 308 loves the 168 grain Sierra Matchking.

Attachments

• 100 yards.jpg
    100 yards.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 150 yards .jpg
    150 yards .jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0

Nimrod71

Snook, that looks good. I use M K too and my rifles really like them. At short ranges I have even gotten clover leaf's with Pro Hunters. In some rifles at 100 yards the Pro hunters shoot better.

Nimrod71

I carried my new/old Rem. 1100 in 12 ga. to a Dove shoot. It was cold sitting out there in an open field with the wind blowing 5 to 10 mph. We had a good time. Not a lot of birds which made shooting harder. Seems if they are coming in pretty good I can stay on target, but when its 15 to 30 mins. between birds I loss concentration and miss the shot. My average was better today even with the wind, I got 9 birds with 18 shells. My wife was happy she finally got her dove and rice last night for supper.

pacecars

Got the .410 GNR sighted in today. It was a blast to shoot. 170 gr JHP at 1900 FPS, recoil and muzzle blast wasn’t too bad. Got it shooting an inch high at 100 yds. I will take it tomorrow and see if a buck or pig will cooperate and provide a target

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Got the .410 GNR sighted in today. It was a blast to shoot. 170 gr JHP at 1900 FPS, recoil and muzzle blast wasn’t too bad. Got it shooting an inch high at 100 yds. I will take it tomorrow and see if a buck or pig will cooperate and provide a target

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :biggestshoot:

Bobby Bigtime

I bought an old Ithaca model 37 featherweight in 20 gauge about a year and a half ago from an old friend. I had never taken it out to try it so Sunday (does that count?) I gave her a go. WOW! What a beauty all this time I was missing out on. Need to plan a rabbit safari soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.