Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankwright

Since I have a fairly good stock of large pistol primers and running low on Small pistol primers, I broke out my Kimber 1911 at the outdoor range today.
I am going to shoot it at our Thursday night IDPA match and a bigger match next weekend so I needed some trigger time.
Cold and windy but not too bad. I shot about 90 rounds and tried to cover a lot of techniques with those rounds instead of just blasting away!

Nimrod71

I just got in from the rifle range. I have been reworking two of my rifles and I carried the 22-250 out to finish getting it sighted in. When I first got the rifle about 20 years ago it shot like a laser, but through time and hauling around it got off center. The scope I first used was a Bushnell 3-9, it was good for a long time but every thing wears out. I replaced it with a Burris 6-18 and that's what is on it now. I changed the mounts last week and got it on paper. Today I wanted to try an old load that I used in the past. The first three shots were low to the left. I turned 18 clicks up and 4 clicks right and fired three rounds. The three made one clover leaf hole at the top on the target dot, right where I wanted it. Time to let it rest and cool off.

Now for the 6 mm Rem. Last week when I shot this rifle it did very well with three shots inside a nickel size dot. Today I wanted to try a new load and recheck the nickel load. The new load is with 4895 and the nickel load is 4320. I fired the nickel load first and again four shots were inside a nickel with three touching. After the last shot I noticed a crack in the stock behind the action. I bought this Magpul stock last August and I have fired 60 rounds with this stock. I am concerned and I will take the stock off later tonight and check. I will let ya'll know what I find later. After seeing this I didn't fire the 4895 rounds.

Well back to the loading bench and calling Magpul about the cracked stock.

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

Went to the indoor range today. I shot my new Walther PPQ M2 9mm. I absolutely love this pistol. It’s about the same size as a Glock 19 but lighter and better grip ergonomics. When I picked up my brass, I noticed it had a step down in it, like the beginning of a bottleneck. After calling Walther, I was told it was a step chamber and that everything was normal. He said it was to aid in velocities by sealing the case better. I then noticed my brass had practically no carbon blowback on them. Win, win....better velocities and cleaner brass.

simpleman30

Shot my new to me Beretta 96 (40 s&w). On the 7th round, I had some type of misfire that blew back into my face. Right eye still feels scratchy and it was a reminder to always wear eye protection. Not sure what happened but it ejected the spent round and failed to feed the next one. Everything else fed fine, so I assume it was just a bad round.

Also shot some hand loads in my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I posted about it in another thread but man am I happy with this rifle. Good enough to kill a deer anywhere I hunt. Makes me want to leave my AR’s and bolt guns put up, or start hand loading for them too.

Attachments

• 9A854565-4237-4AFB-A0F8-908582DF0EA1.jpeg
    9A854565-4237-4AFB-A0F8-908582DF0EA1.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 9

Ray357

AWOL
Figured we could use a thread for sharing shooting fun.

I know we have some parents & grandparents having some great times on the range with their young students.

We also have folks trying out new ammo or working up a handload for one of their guns.

Rifles getting tuned up for deer season......shotguns being pattered for turkey....pig guns, too.

Did you do any training today?

Sporting clays ?

3-Gun ?

Plinking ?

Punching paper ?
Shot up a bunch of water bottles with 38 special.

Dub

Shot my new to me Beretta 96 (40 s&w). On the 7th round, I had some type of misfire that blew back into my face. Right eye still feels scratchy and it was a reminder to always wear eye protection. Not sure what happened but it ejected the spent round and failed to feed the next one. Everything else fed fine, so I assume it was just a bad round.

Also shot some hand loads in my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I posted about it in another thread but man am I happy with this rifle. Good enough to kill a deer anywhere I hunt. Makes me want to leave my AR’s and bolt guns put up, or start hand loading for them too.

Yes to the handloading for your other guns. Super results with your .35 Rem!!!!

Weird stuff on that hot round. I wonder if the bullet had been set back into the case more than spec, increasing pressure?

Glad all was well.

simpleman30

Yes to the handloading for your other guns. Super results with your .35 Rem!!!!

Weird stuff on that hot round. I wonder if the bullet had been set back into the case more than spec, increasing pressure?

Glad all was well.

Thanks Dub. Been shooting for many years and never had a round blow back at me like that. Factory ammo, but who knows why.

Really impressed with the .35 Remington hand loads. I killed a couple of deer with the rifle this year inside of 50 yards with Winchester 200 grain round nose, but these results make me want to see what I can do a little further.

Nimrod71

Some friends and I met up and fire a few rounds today. One had a new Ruger Long Range rifle in 6 mm CM. We were only shooting 100 yds. but 5 shots made only one hole. I told him he must have missed with the other 4 rounds. We measured, he didn't, 5 shots one hole. Another shot a Ruger Long Range in 6.5 CM and his was almost as good. He had one shot that was half out of the hole, Kind of looked like a hole with a wart on the right side. We figured he just pulled it off. As usual I was out of the market. I shot my Rem 700 Hunter in 22-250 and I could only get inside a 25 cent ring. My 223 Savage Mod. 11 shot a better round with 5 shots in a nickel and that was with 55 gr. DogTown bullets. Oh Well, gives me something to work on.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i forgot that i shot a NIB Bergara Premier HMR Pro in 6.5CM yesterday. He mounted a Crimson Trace of some type on it. He was a little all over the place with it. He asked me to shoot it...it was within an 1" for me...he made the adjustment and it was 1" right now...I stood up and looked...scope is Mils... so moved it half way back and let him have it back. I got him to take his thumb from over the top and follow through with his trigger pull he stacked the next 3 touching on the bull. Pretty good shootin rifle. Trigger came set at 2.5#

chuckdog

I recently installed a Wilson spring kit in my wife's S&W 642. I test fired it Sunday using some target velocity 158gr cast bullets. I fired them over the new chronograph and they were averaging about 600 fps with 100% reliability.

For the Smith, a huge improvement over the factory installed barn door springs!

I had the chronograph setup in a bad location at a bad time of day for the sun, but the readings were pretty consistent. I was expecting the .38's to be slow, but not 600 fps slow. They're powder puff loads though.

I fired a known Federal 1200 fps 22lr load a few times and they were all right around spec from 15'.

I put one mag (14) rounds of .45 ACP through the velocitator too. They were 230 FMJ from my 3.8" XDM. They were averaging low the 700's. These were some rounds I loaded about 10 years back. I tore a ragged hole in the target at 10 steps. The ragged hole shooting ain't at the distances it once was, but it still feels great to do it!

I noticed a good bit of unburned powder throughout the .45 while cleaning. My charge of Universal was a bit too low for efficient burn. Like Unique, Universal shoots great just leaves residue at the bottom end of its range.

It's good to be back in business with a chronograph again.

Dub

I shot 2 rounds of scrap today...came in dead last the first round...the second round I was next to last. Might have been a year since I shot a shotgun...very humbling.

You summed up my last run through a sporting clays course. I shot like trash. It was comical.

Still had fun and will certainly be after 'em again.

I recently installed a Wilson spring kit in my wife's S&W 642. I test fired it Sunday using some target velocity 158gr cast bullets. I fired them over the new chronograph and they were averaging about 600 fps with 100% reliability.

For the Smith, a huge improvement over the factory installed barn door springs!

I had the chronograph setup in a bad location at a bad time of day for the sun, but the readings were pretty consistent. I was expecting the .38's to be slow, but not 600 fps slow. They're powder puff loads though.

I fired a known Federal 1200 fps 22lr load a few times and they were all right around spec from 15'.

I put one mag (14) rounds of .45 ACP through the velocitator too. They were 230 FMJ from my 3.8" XDM. They were averaging low the 700's. These were some rounds I loaded about 10 years back. I tore a ragged hole in the target at 10 steps. The ragged hole shooting ain't at the distances it once was, but it still feels great to do it!

I noticed a good bit of unburned powder throughout the .45 while cleaning. My charge of Universal was a bit too low for efficient burn. Like Unique, Universal shoots great just leaves residue at the bottom end of its range.

It's good to be back in business with a chronograph again.

Barn door springs, you say......excellent description because that's exactly what my 442 has in it. Even after thousands of pulls it still hasn't improved beyond mega-stout.

This, combined with my lacking double action skills gives 5yd Diet Dew bottles a sporting chance.... :rofl:

I didn't realize there was a Wilson kit for them. Gonna check into this....

Gotta love ragged hole groups from a .45.

Good news on chrono up & running for you.

Looks like @GregoryB. has the same model inbound.

I gotta remember to grab a 9v battery.....

EDIT: found the J-Frame spring kit at Brownells. (y)

Last edited:

rosewood

I have had guns with "barn door" springs description. I have upgraded the springs in several Taurus revolvers with the wilson's. Really makes an improvement over factory. But as Chuck did, you have to check for reliability. In my 607, it now has an awesome double action pull. In the 605 and 85 they are nice also. I tried the Wilson's in the 941 (22mag) and it is very unreliable. It will fire in single action but is hit and miss in double. Seems rimfires takes a harder hit to ignite, so that gun sits with the factory springs. I polished everything in it I could, action is smooth as silk, but still has the "barn door" springs in it.

Always keep an extra 9V battery for the chronograph. The Caldwell has room for an extra in the battery compartment. Inevitably, you will leave it on and the battery will be dead when you get to the range (assuming it doesn't have an auto off feature), or just die on it's own.

Chronographs make liars out of a lot of people... Folks will read the load data and assume they are getting that velocity in their gun, not considering barrel length and other factors. Kind of reminds me of those added horsepower gadgets for an automobile. Someone will put 10 items that "add" 20 hp to your car, they add them all up and say that is what they are getting. It don't work that way.

Rosewood

Dub

I have had guns with "barn door" springs description. I have upgraded the springs in several Taurus revolvers with the wilson's. Really makes an improvement over factory. But as Chuck did, you have to check for reliability. In my 607, it now has an awesome double action pull. In the 605 and 85 they are nice also. I tried the Wilson's in the 941 (22mag) and it is very unreliable. It will fire in single action but is hit and miss in double. Seems rimfires takes a harder hit to ignite, so that gun sits with the factory springs. I polished everything in it I could, action is smooth as silk, but still has the "barn door" springs in it.

Always keep an extra 9V battery for the chronograph. The Caldwell has room for an extra in the battery compartment. Inevitably, you will leave it on and the battery will be dead when you get to the range (assuming it doesn't have an auto off feature), or just die on it's own.

Chronographs make liars out of a lot of people... Folks will read the load data and assume they are getting that velocity in their gun, not considering barrel length and other factors. Kind of reminds me of those added horsepower gadgets for an automobile. Someone will put 10 items that "add" 20 hp to your car, they add them all up and say that is what they are getting. It don't work that way.

Rosewood

Great points one & all.

I'll function check the J-Frame with carry ammo as well as the 38spcl range loads I plan on loading. Watching for light strikes as spring gets some future use.

Great analogy on the chrono/horsepower.

I see rifles that are rocking multiple bubble levels on them and wonder how much of a velocity boost each level gives. :rofl:

chuckdog

The lightest trigger reset spring would be great, it didn't come close to working.

The hammer spring is solid. I wasn't concerned with ignition as mush as trigger reset under firing conditions. Inexpensive improvement, but it ain't custom trigger like at all.

You will need something like a tiny hex wrench or paper clip to contain the hammer spring for removal.

HughW2

That is some great shooting for any rifle. Incredible for a lever gun!

Status
Not open for further replies.