Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC Hunter

Hey, now, don't be showing off your wealth with all that ammo....
?? We haven't shot In a while. I'm seeing ammo here and there as I ramble around different places and pick it up when it's a good price. The 9mm and 22 mag are getting easier to find finally. I buy much more than we shoot.

bullgator

Shot my new 6 ARC upper to get sighted in. The bench at the indoor range in far from stable and it showed. That said, I wasn’t disappointed and look forward to getting to a range with a stable platform. I also shot my go-to AR with a BCM upper and Aimpoint PRO......I love that machine! No magnification and still 3” 10 shot groups. I finished up by taking the PPQ 9mm with the freshly installed Trijicon night sights and got it sighted in.

chuckdog

Did I shoot anything? I did indeed!

Friday went to a local range.

I chose LRGC over WGYR in Waco due to better shade and it's usually less windy. Little River rifle range is narrow, surrounded by wooden fence on one side and thick woods elsewhere.

First up was the Ruger PC Carbine 9mm. I sighted in a Holosun ?. I set it dead on @ 50 yds. I need to do a separate thread on this one. The little guy is just plain fun! I don’t recall the Kel Tec Sub 2000 I had a few years back being near as likable as this Ruger.

I then moved to trying 68gr match bullets through the Ruger American Ranch 5.56. When compared with the 55gr FMJ BT the POI was about 1.5" higher at 100 yds. The group size is marginally better. They're still not what I expect from a bolt action, especially the Ruger American series. I love the idea of this platform, but in reality it may not be for me. Between the fact that you have to work the action with deliberate motion and only what I consider ok accuracy this one may end up finding a new home. I've learned the push feed from an AR mag combination to be less than friendly for me with target/bench/varmint applications.

Number two on the agenda was sighting in a new Burris E1 3X9 50mm objective scope I installed on my Bushmaster LR .308. I used Varget powered 165gr Speer BT's. I've had this Bushmaster for several years. The first upgrade is always a two stage trigger. I've had it configured with several stocks, fixed and collapsible. Right now it's an Adaptive Tactical EX collapsible with a new stainless steel recoil spring and 5.6oz buffer. It's had various scope/sight combinations too. I believe this is the most comfortable combo yet. I credit the padded stock and heavier buffer/spring for the improved comfort. The standard M4 profile turned in consistent 5 shot clusters that are MOA or better. I set it up @ 1.5" above POA @ 100 yds. Very pleased.

Third was a new standard synthetic 10-22 carbine with a throw away 4X scope I sat on it for testing. Using Federal Auto-Match the carbine did great at 50 yds. This one will get an optics upgrade very soon.

Number four was the Taurus TX22. From the factory rear sight wasn't centered. Centering took care of the windage, all I had to do was raise the elevation a bit. At the moment this is my favorite plinker. It may be because of its lightweight striker platform. It makes it a bit more of a challenge for me to hold steady and squeeze. It ain't like shooting a single action. Again, another fun gun.

Number five was a new Ruger Security 9 full size. This is my second one. I've had my first one 3 or 4 years and I'm very pleased with it. This new one will replace my lower capacity XDS 9 in my daily driver. The magazines interchange with the factory Ruger carbine mags making them an easy choice. This pistol consumed everything I threw at it. 115 JHP's through 147 plated. At 11 yds it shoots em' all pretty much point of aim. The 124gr Berry's HP with Universal is definitely more accurate than I can shoot them.

I took several others along, but didn't get to them. Hunger and other responsible adult things got in the way.

All in all it was a good day!

I made a new friend too.

Roger Ratsnake.jpg

His name is Roger. You can tell he's kinda shy. He was in search of a cooler spot.

He said "I know you have cooler choices, why are you standing in the sun during the heat of the day?"

My response, "I am not a smart man."

rosewood

Pine snake?

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Did I shoot anything? I did indeed!

Friday went to a local range.

I chose LRGC over WGYR in Waco due to better shade and it's usually less windy. Little River rifle range is narrow, surrounded by wooden fence on one side and thick woods elsewhere.

First up was the Ruger PC Carbine 9mm. I sighted in a Holosun ?. I set it dead on @ 50 yds. I need to do a separate thread on this one. The little guy is just plain fun! I don’t recall the Kel Tec Sub 2000 I had a few years back being near as likable as this Ruger.

I then moved to trying 68gr match bullets through the Ruger American Ranch 5.56. When compared with the 55gr FMJ BT the POI was about 1.5" higher at 100 yds. The group size is marginally better. They're still not what I expect from a bolt action, especially the Ruger American series. I love the idea of this platform, but in reality it may not be for me. Between the fact that you have to work the action with deliberate motion and only what I consider ok accuracy this one may end up finding a new home. I've learned the push feed from an AR mag combination to be less than friendly for me with target/bench/varmint applications.

Number two on the agenda was sighting in a new Burris E1 3X9 50mm objective scope I installed on my Bushmaster LR .308. I used Varget powered 165gr Speer BT's. I've had this Bushmaster for several years. The first upgrade is always a two stage trigger. I've had it configured with several stocks, fixed and collapsible. Right now it's an Adaptive Tactical EX collapsible with a new stainless steel recoil spring and 5.6oz buffer. It's had various scope/sight combinations too. I believe this is the most comfortable combo yet. I credit the padded stock and heavier buffer/spring for the improved comfort. The standard M4 profile turned in consistent 5 shot clusters that are MOA or better. I set it up @ 1.5" above POA @ 100 yds. Very pleased.

Third was a new standard synthetic 10-22 carbine with a throw away 4X scope I sat on it for testing. Using Federal Auto-Match the carbine did great at 50 yds. This one will get an optics upgrade very soon.

Number four was the Taurus TX22. From the factory rear sight wasn't centered. Centering took care of the windage, all I had to do was raise the elevation a bit. At the moment this is my favorite plinker. It may be because of its lightweight striker platform. It makes it a bit more of a challenge for me to hold steady and squeeze. It ain't like shooting a single action. Again, another fun gun.

Number five was a new Ruger Security 9 full size. This is my second one. I've had my first one 3 or 4 years and I'm very pleased with it. This new one will replace my lower capacity XDS 9 in my daily driver. The magazines interchange with the factory Ruger carbine mags making them an easy choice. This pistol consumed everything I threw at it. 115 JHP's through 147 plated. At 11 yds it shoots em' all pretty much point of aim. The 124gr Berry's HP with Universal is definitely more accurate than I can shoot them.

I took several others along, but didn't get to them. Hunger and other responsible adult things got in the way.

All in all it was a good day!

I made a new friend too.

View attachment 1086368

His name is Roger. You can tell he's kinda shy. He was in search of a cooler spot.

He said "I know you have cooler choices, why are you standing in the sun during the heat of the day?"

My response, "I am not a smart man."

Awesome range fun !!!!!

Sounds like all the new gear ran well.

I’m intrigued by the pistol caliber carbines.

chuckdog

Pine snake?

From the basic colors and crinkling up I’ve seen rat snakes do I assumed it to be a member of rat snake family.

Non poisonous snakes and I get along well as long as I see them before stepping on them. I know if one were to bite me, I’d likely die from the sight of it.

rosewood

From the basic colors and crinkling up I’ve seen rat snakes do I assumed it to be a member of rat snake family.

Non poisonous snakes and I get along well as long as I see them before stepping on them. I know if one were to bite me, I’d likely die from the sight of it.
I believe they are a type of rat snake.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Got out a Ruger 44 Carbine today and checked it out for deer season. It wears an old steel Weaver 4x32 Medalist, in Kwik-Site rings.

Was prepared to do a complete from-scratch sight in, but it was not necessary.

At 50, I shot a 4" square cabbage heart left over from The Mz.'s slaw dog supper...White mist!

At 100, I near centered one of my rail-tie plate gongs, and then 'sploded a 1/2 liter Dew bottle full of water.

Three rounds of plain old white box Winchester 240sp's.

Old thing was ready, all along...

Dub

Got out a Ruger 44 Carbine today and checked it out for deer season. It wears an old steel Weaver 4x32 Medalist, in Kwik-Site rings.

Was prepared to do a complete from-scratch sight in, but it was not necessary.

At 50, I shot a 4" square cabbage heart left over from The Mz.'s slaw dog supper...White mist!

At 100, I near centered one of my rail-tie plate gongs, and then 'sploded a 1/2 liter Dew bottle full of water.

Three rounds of plain old white box Winchester 240sp's.

Old thing was ready, all along...

Sounds solid.

Ready to fill up a freezer in a few months. (y)

Dub

Dad texted me a little while ago.

He had a great range session where he was running his CZ TSO 9mm for the first time.

I'd say he's made the transition to red dots very well.....and also that must be one smooth shooting pistol to pull off mag dumps grouping that tight.

rosewood

Two rounds of skeet. I’ve had better days on the skeet range?
A bad day on the skeet range is better than a good day at work. Nothing better than trigger therapy. Well, maybe one thing.

rosewood

Dad texted me a little while ago.

He had a great range session where he was running his CZ TSO 9mm for the first time.

I'd say he's made the transition to red dots very well.....and also that must be one smooth shooting pistol to pull off mag dumps grouping that tight.

He should be on the security team at church if not already. :)

Baroque Brass

A bad day on the skeet range is better than a good day at work. Nothing better than trigger therapy. Well, maybe one thing.
If the one thing you’re referring to is what I think it is, unfortunately those days have passed, but it sure was fun while it lasted! Trigger therapy is great and I’m enjoying reloading again. Like everyone here I hope ammo prices will eventually be reasonable again.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes...yes I did
I changed the stock on my rifle and had to check function
IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0456.jpg
IMG_0455.jpg
those 220gr rounds I loaded at 10.2gr are a little too hot for this one...getting a slight pop when it is fired. Might need a little heavier buffer too. Looking at the heavier JP with the captured spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.