Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baroque Brass

Yeah I did. Had eight year old grandson at our house, I needed some peace and quiet so I went to the range?. Also needed to try out rifle with new trigger spring and some carefully loaded 6.5 rounds.

My two best groups measured .667” and .663”. As I’ve seen before, the rifle seems to prefer the lighter powder charges with the Varget and Hornady 120 gr ELDM bullets. Now maybe it’s time to experiment with seating depth. I’d like to claim the top right target is at least a three round group but that one should have been the fifth shot in the top left target. ABB49D18-C1ED-41D8-8EF2-F3E7E1C9BC2F.jpeg

rosewood

Yeah I did. Had eight year old grandson at our house, I needed some peace and quiet so I went to the range?. Also needed to try out rifle with new trigger spring and some carefully loaded 6.5 rounds.

My two best groups measured .667” and .663”. As I’ve seen before, the rifle seems to prefer the lighter powder charges with the Varget and Hornady 120 gr ELDM bullets. Now maybe it’s time to experiment with seating depth. I’d like to claim the top right target is at least a three round group but that one should have been the fifth shot in the top left target. View attachment 1089343
I am going to take a stab and say you forgot which target you was shooting at. I have done that more than once. Sometimes takes me a few minutes to figure out what happened to my group or that missing bullet.

Rosewood

Baroque Brass

I am going to take a stab and say you forgot which target you was shooting at. I have done that more than once. Sometimes takes me a few minutes to figure out what happened to my group or that missing bullet.

Rosewood
Actually I thought I was done with the first group of reloads and moved to the second target. Then I realized it was the last of the first group of five.

rosewood

Draw it in where it would be

rosewood

Where it would be or where I’d like it to be??
Transcribing it to the other diamond looks to me like it wouldn't hurt the group a bit. You was aiming at the center of the diamond and that is where it would have been had you been pointing at the correct diamond.

Dub

Actually I thought I was done with the first group of reloads and moved to the second target. Then I realized it was the last of the first group of five.

Mighty nice shooting. Looks like you are dialed in. (y)

Does your grandson come along on range trips ??

Baroque Brass

Mighty nice shooting. Looks like you are dialed in. (y)

Does your grandson come along on range trips ??
Thank you! I was shooting for grouping to see which load worked best. As we get close to hunting season I’ll make final adjustments with the hunting rounds to get it centered on the target.

He’s been a few times, he enjoys shooting .22. His dad let him fire his AR from a Hydro Sled, he thought that was cool too. When he gets older I want to get him started with shotgun.

chuckdog

Finally got around to shooting the S&W Victory 22LR this morning.

The function was flawless, groups quite good, and the weight/feel/balance is better than expected.

I used Wolf Target Extra subsonic ammo and didn’t have to adjust the sights @ 11 steps.

The trigger is heavy and a little bit creepy. The slide is difficult to back when not already cocked. I see a TandemKross trigger and slide loop in this pistol’s future. I also see TK markets a magazine disconnect bypass. For $12, one of those will be inside too.

I was afraid this budget .22 would be a disappointment, glad to be wrong!

It’s not going to replace anyone’s High Standard, but it seems to be a pistol worth the upgrades.

Reactions: Dub

Para Bellum

Mouth For War

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Dad texted me a little while ago.

He had a great range session where he was running his CZ TSO 9mm for the first time.

I'd say he's made the transition to red dots very well.....and also that must be one smooth shooting pistol to pull off mag dumps grouping that tight.

I’d venture to guess not many on this forum can shoot that well. Very nice.

Dub

I’d venture to guess not many on this forum can shoot that well. Very nice.

Thank you. He is really something. 73 years old and no quit in him.

After his cataract surgeries he has great vision....almost like a superpower, lol.

He shoots twice per week as his busy retirement schedule allows....shooting pool, golf, grandfathering the kids, etc.

Dad is one of the first people I've known to adopt red dot sights. He has tried with me over the years to give them a fair chance....but I always go back to irons within that same session. Hardcore untrainable. :)

Now, however....the years have caught up with me and my eyes, too. Trying to shoot tight groups at 20+ yards with a handgun is more like an exercise in futility.

Seeing how he makes it looks easy has made me want to try again with the red dot technology. Being able to remain target focused with the use of the dot sounds like a winner.

I'm still confident with irons at self-defense distances....but when hunting with seimi-auto handguns I'd like to be able to use the dot and stretch out there to same distances I'd once archery hunted.

I simply have to get my butt in gear and invest the range time getting acclimated, comfortable and hopefully....competent with the dots. I don't know if I'll make a transition to a dot on carry guns...time will tell.

He does, Especially when he is performing his duties on their security team at their church. Years of shooting dots has him fast & accurate.

When I grow up.....I hope to shoot like Dad. (y);)

I hope to do a heap of stuff like him.

Darkhorse

Dub, The Pro I dot sights I put on my M&P got me back shooting in the black again. The front sight was the key and many manufacturers make sights with fronts like this. Shows up really well for us older guys.
The red dot comes next I guess. I can't see my eyes getting any younger.
As for my iron sighted flintlocks, in a few months I lost my ability to shoot with any accuracy. Period. The rear sight had 3 blurry lines where the top of the sight should have been, and with those sights you level the front sight with the top of the rear. So which line do I try and use? Blew my groups like a tornado. But I had been thinking of a solution for this day for a couple of years and I just went ahead and made one for each rifle. Now I'm deadly again.
SS850099.jpg

Bobby Bigtime

Rosewood
A guy at the range a while back was shooting and was very upset. I got nosey and asked if he needed any help like tools or anything. He said that he was just checking his zero and for some reason he couldn't get it on paper. He said his scope must have went bad. Seeing that gold ring on his scope made me think otherwise. To shorten this story the guy was shooting beautiful groups on the next target over.

rosewood

Just like ole' Joe said, you can shoot them in the hand. :)

Reactions: Dub
Status
Not open for further replies.