Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dub

Loaded mags and headed out.

Hit the range during my outing today.

the .45 commander in the foreground was carry gun. Rest were run at an 8yd hostage target.

EDC X9.
60 rounds at the BadGuy's head. Full throttle on the pace.

Ed Brown Kobra Carry .45
50 rounds at the BadGuy's elbow. Full throttle on the pace.

Dan Wesson Valor commander 9mm
50 rounds at the BadGuy's torso. Full throttle on the pace. Stopped to clear jams, tap & rack, recover.
Springfield Armory 9mm magazines were the source of jams. Gun runs fine with other 9mm mags.

My takeaways:
  1. Hostage unscathed. She definitely provided a physiological aspect to the shooting. I noticed my front sight would nudge away from her prior to the shot breaking. Interesting.
  2. I generally am more accurate with the first gun....the EDC X9 that I ran at his head. I shoot the gun too fast....can't help it. The 15rd mags go quick when the gun is banging them out.
  3. This was my 3rd session with the Ed Brown .45. I was pleased with it's performance. I let it eat....fast 'n furious on the elbow. It grouped tighter than the other two.....didn't notice the front sight nudge thing that occurred with the head & torso shots. Interesting. I guess my mind allowed the gun to shoot where aimed without correction as the target was further away from the hostage ???
  4. There is nothing smoother shooting than a steel-framed 9mm 1911. Nothing. It's buttery smooth and grin inducing. The only problem is there is a huge disparity in magazine quality. Some manfs. have nailed it down tight.....others suck outright. Not gonna bash too much on SA about these cause they were dirt cheap, bought with the Loaded Vouchers of the past. Great for recovery drills, too. Will never carry with them. Ever.

rosewood

Loaded mags and headed out.

Hit the range during my outing today.

the .45 commander in the foreground was carry gun. Rest were run at an 8yd hostage target.

EDC X9.
60 rounds at the BadGuy's head. Full throttle on the pace.

Ed Brown Kobra Carry .45
50 rounds at the BadGuy's elbow. Full throttle on the pace.

Dan Wesson Valor commander 9mm
50 rounds at the BadGuy's torso. Full throttle on the pace. Stopped to clear jams, tap & rack, recover.
Springfield Armory 9mm magazines were the source of jams. Gun runs fine with other 9mm mags.

My takeaways:
  1. Hostage unscathed. She definitely provided a physiological aspect to the shooting. I noticed my front sight would nudge away from her prior to the shot breaking. Interesting.
  2. I generally am more accurate with the first gun....the EDC X9 that I ran at his head. I shoot the gun too fast....can't help it. The 15rd mags go quick when the gun is banging them out.
  3. This was my 3rd session with the Ed Brown .45. I was pleased with it's performance. I let it eat....fast 'n furious on the elbow. It grouped tighter than the other two.....didn't notice the front sight nudge thing that occurred with the head & torso shots. Interesting. I guess my mind allowed the gun to shoot where aimed without correction as the target was further away from the hostage ???
  4. There is nothing smoother shooting than a steel-framed 9mm 1911. Nothing. It's buttery smooth and grin inducing. The only problem is there is a huge disparity in magazine quality. Some manfs. have nailed it down tight.....others suck outright. Not gonna bash too much on SA about these cause they were dirt cheap, bought with the Loaded Vouchers of the past. Great for recovery drills, too. Will never carry with them. Ever.

Yeah, but the target wasn't moving.... I pray I never have to make that shot.

Good shootin' though.

Dub

You pierced the dude's ear!!

:rofl:

I missed him 15 times, too.

It was a humbling experience.

Just a paper target on a normal range session.....but I'm telling ya having a hostage really changed things.

Yeah, but the target wasn't moving.... I pray I never have to make that shot.

Good shootin' though.

Nope....no movement. :sneaky:

Agreed...hope to never have to make that shot.

If I"m at the range and wearing cheater glasses with the 1.0 correction that brings the front sight in clear....I'm confident at short ranges like today.

Further away.....whew.

Not wearing cheater glasses.....whew some more.

My red dot equipped pistola is back at the manufacturer getting some tweaks.

I'm interested in seeing how it runs in this scenario. Nekkid eyesite. No warmup. From a holster.

I'll try it at 8yds like today....and then see.

You said it well, though, "I pray I never have to take that shot". To that, I'll add, "I pray that if I ever was forced to that the hostage was unscathed and the threat was immediately ended".

I'm not in law enforcement or military. I have a day/night/whenever job in manufacturing. I have huge respect for the men & women who train for scenarios they may encounter in their next shift....or next deployment...HUGE respect.

SakoL61R

We shot clays at a charity shoot on Friday.
Barnsley Gardens. My boy did great

Attachments

• 1D8AF35F-0B5F-45E7-B7CB-A0EC4785CCA9.jpeg
    1D8AF35F-0B5F-45E7-B7CB-A0EC4785CCA9.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 159CBE3A-7D8F-4362-934B-B3BF2B0C6BB4.jpeg
    159CBE3A-7D8F-4362-934B-B3BF2B0C6BB4.jpeg
    645.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 03FFE81F-664F-45B0-824A-5058576E0916.jpeg
    03FFE81F-664F-45B0-824A-5058576E0916.jpeg
    586.9 KB · Views: 10

rosewood

Tuned up my cva 6.5 nmb for this weekend. Found a good load for my new to me rem 700 223. Got a couple of .5moa groups. Quite happy with the results

Also run a few mags thru the new GX4, was happy with those results. Emptied the pawn shop find factory S&W 20 round extended mag for my 6904 that I paid $10 for. Both ran flawless.

Rosewood

Last edited:

pacecars

I would really love to try an EDC X9 with a dot sight

Reactions: Dub

Adam5

I got something to reload today. 160 pieces of .350 Legend brass. I already had 170 that a friend found me, and 120 commercial rounds that I bought. That will give me a decent start.

I also ordered 400 pieces of .40 S&W brass to get me started with my S&W CS40 that got off of Gunbroker.

Attachments

• 8036EBDC-4890-47CD-B187-3A8A41C1ADA9.jpeg
    8036EBDC-4890-47CD-B187-3A8A41C1ADA9.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 1

Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.