Differences between gun and bow hunting

GeauxLSU

Isn't it nice to live in a state that gives you ALL the option to choose what you hunt with?
Personally, I get a rush everytime I see a deer off my back deck. God help me when that quits. For ME, it's the animal, it's not the weapon. Personally, if and when I decide to kill it, I want it dead as quickly as possilbe and humanely as possible. The 'hunt' is over when I decide to shoot.

Woody52

Whether you do it for the sport, the kill, the time well spent or the trophy, we all enjoy doing it, right? Okay, at least we are on the same page there. I'm like Tommy, I prefer a gun and consider myself equal to any bow hunter. I also prefer not to set myself up for a dissapointment. Not that I believe I would miss a shot (Yes I have a few shirts with the tails cut off) but the deer is less likely to present an opportunity for a clean kill. Gun hunting provides more assurance of a quick clean kill as well. Most of my deer have been killed off the ground with shots usually under 30 yards. Last year alone I killed 2 Gwinnett County bucks, a 128 and a 149 class. Both deer were within bow range, and from the ground. Does this make me a more skilled hunter than someone with a bow, who hunts from 20 feet up? I don't think so, It's just my preferred method of harvesting deer. I respect that others have their preferred methods of hunting and all that I ask is that they respect mine as well. As long as it's legal, can we all just get along?

Last edited:

308 WIN

Well, For Me, I Enjoy Both Bow And Rifle Hunting, And Have Killed Many Deer With Both. I Would Say All Things Considered, I Enjoy Bow Hunting More. The Heart Pounding Excitement That Comes With Coming To Full Draw, On Any Deer, Can Not Be Matched On A Rifle Hunt, And Thats The Number One Reason I Hunt, Heart Pounding Excitement! ;)

PWalls

Randy said:
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, you can get the best or worst of both worlds by using a crossbow.

You are slipping. You waited until page 3 and 20+ replies before you mouthed the above. I saw your reply on page one and was simply amazed. Course, I knew it wouldn't be long in coming.

Sorry, the only thing in common to a rifle is how I shoot the arrow. Get this, IT IS STILL AN ARROW PROPELLED BY A STRING.

Same problems with trajectory, distance to shot (yes you still have to get them close), arrow placement, tracking, etc..

Crossbow is way more close to a compound bow than a rifle. Only some one unwilling to see reason or to stuck on their unsupported and biased opinions will believe otherwise.

Back to the original topic:
Personally, I get gratification with any weapon I am using because they all have their own challenges and rewards. Just becuase someone is passionate about a weapon they hunt with doesn't mean that another weapon is any less challenging or viable for someone else. The only drawback I have ever seen with any archery weapon is the possibility of a lost deer due to a less than perfect arrow placement. A rifle gives you more latitude. Now an argument that the archery hunter will make is that is part of the challenge they enjoy with their weapon is the skill necessary to get that perfect placement. That is fine by me, I have no problem with that as long as they understand the risk and are comfortable with a lost deer every now and then.

jason308

I get excited no matter what weapon I am using when I am taking the shot. I love to bow hunt, but hunt with the bow, rifle and shotgun. Here lately, I like to get them as close as I can no matter what the weapon. I love to shotgun hunt, and killed a 135 lb doe last year at 15 yards with the 12 gauge. Same stand I bowhunted a lot out of. I like even better to hunt off of the ground. How's that for a challenge? ::ke: Like Phil said, when the rush stops when an animal I am after steps out, that is the day I will quit hunting.

nc/ga hunter

While reading through the post I did notice one thing ,everyone was passonite about harvesting a deer. It can be argued that one is better than other, but the end result is the same. We're all proud in the final result!

H

HT2

R T.........

I feel the same way as far as it goes when it comes to takin' a deer.....

Takin' a good deer is always what you want when it comes to huntin'........Just gettin' out thar, workin' to hopefully set up on the deer in a way that it present's you a shot........

I like Bow Hunting, I really do..........But, in no way am I ever gonna just strictly bow hunt......I ain't gonna lie..........Once Bow Season gets close to an end, I can't wait to put that Rifle in my hand.......

Immature as a hunter?????

Lazy????

Call it what you want, I like 'em both, but 5 weeks (or so) of Bow hunting is all I want..........Well, except if/when I go up to Illinois....... :)

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I love both

Ahh, just keep on sitting in that stand with a rifle. I promise you it's not as easy as you think it is all the time. You'll see if you keep doing it.

I love both like other's have said. I get the shakes irregardless what kind of weapon is in my hand. I've been bowhunting for almost as long as I've been rifle hunting. My first season I gun hunted. The next year I got a bow and started that. It's great either way for me. I love hearing and seeing my white fletching on my arrow disappearing behind a deer's shoulder and hearing the deer crash off on it's final sprint.

I equally love hearing my 06 "Rolling Thunder" sound off and watching a deer drop like a sack of bricks, and still hearing the last faint sound of my rifle off in the distance as the deer's tail kind of puff's up and then goes down.

Man, I'm getting myself fired up for deer season!!!!

Tommy

flat foot

I only bowhunt, for me I lost all intrest in gun hunting 5 years ago. I had two deer on the ground in front of me and could of shot seven more that evening defore dark. That was the turning point for me. I wanted to hunt the deer not just kill them. I mean find him and have to do everyting correct to get him. Scout all year, move my stand every day find where he eats, sleeps, travels, everything has to be perfect. Then have very few chances to harvest him before you push him off, man you better be on top of your game. When it all comes together and you get him with a bow insted of looking over a field or covering 80 yards of a entire bottom, man thats hunting to me.

Yes it could be done with any gun as well, but with a bow it AWESOME. Mr Beatty with that Ohio Monster will always have my respect. 46 days to go and I am this fired up thanks for starting this thread man. See you fellers in the woods.

BowArrow

RT

Your reasons for bow hunting is the reason I have bowhunted for thirty-eight years. In 1966 ten of us form the Bulloch Bowmen Archery Club and that was the begining of my bow hunting experence. We continue to meet on a monthly basis and attend hunts on some of the coastal islands. Three of us continue as bow only hunters.

In the early days I would hunt all season, usually at Fort Stewart and Blackbeard as these were the only places to have a huntable deer population. Shots were rare with a bow in those early years and some years I would not use a single tag. I will continue to bow hunt as long as I can climb a tree and draw my bow. The day that I am not able to draw my bow is the day I will give up deer hunting.

broadhead

Jim Thompson said:
I get a major thrill out of both.....still get the shakes when looking at a deer through the peep or through the scope.

Jim
Me too!!!

What I don't like is the superiority some feel by putting down other legitimate and ethical forms of hunting .
Hunters against hunters will be a big part of our demise.
Same old same old.......that will never change here.
Coon dawg, is that bet until the thread gets pulled or just until it dies of natural causes?
I bet 65 before it gets pulled.

csgreen1

If some of you guys think its a challenge to hunt with these new compounds you should have tried it with my old bear whitetale bow,from the ground now that was hard,its easy with these new compounds and crossbows but i have more fun now,I dont care what other people hunt with i just know ihave fun hunting with differant weapons one year i hunted the whole season with a smoothbore shotgun and slugs and killed a big 10 pointer from the ground that fell 8 feet from my feet.Its no challenge for me anymore with all these modern gadgets we have,if it was about the challenge i would hunt with a recurve or longbow.I hunt because its fun to be out there in the woods not really knowing what might come down the trail next.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

broadhead said:
Me too!!!

What I don't like is the superiority some feel by putting down other legitimate and ethical forms of hunting .
Hunters against hunters will be a big part of our demise.
Same old same old.......that will never change here.
Coon dawg, is that bet until the thread gets pulled or just until it dies of natural causes?
I bet 65 before it gets pulled.
..........dies of natural causes.............I have faith in humanity, and think we will all keep it civil..............ps-I whole heartedly agree with what you stated above..... :clap: :clap:

Taylor Co.

I've been reading this...

and noone has brought this up. I think any ethical and legal method that one chooses to harvest a worthy game animal especially a whitetail deer is sporting.
But, if I had to honestly choose wether I harvest a 150" deer with a rifle or bow...I think the bow would win out! I know plenty of people who have killed 150" deer, but not with a bow. Dont get me wrong, any deer that is harvested that was a challenge to that individual is truly a Trophy! Some times it's just that particular hunt that makes it special. I've killed a 150" and several 130's, One of those 130's is the most special hunt ever as I tracked it in the wet grass one morning in Taylor Co. followed the deer in a cutover and saw his tracks cross a Co.dirt rd. and they went into a ditch chocked with small regrowth hardwoods, the wind was coming from a different direction so I circled around and flanked the area as I slipped thru the planted pines I would stop and grunt, then suddenly I heard thundering hooves and a grunt and the 130" 10-pt. busted up out of the ditch @ 25yds. the bullet struck him in the shoulders the deer ran 25 yds. diggin up dirt with his chin....what a hunt!!
But if I had taken that deer with a bow, Wow! That does'nt mean that it was not challenging or memorable, just what if... Deer Hunting is cool aint it? It makes my blood boil!

Last edited:

Atlsooner

I have never harvested a deer with my bow. That is a goal of mine this year. I enjoy being out there in the woods with either my bow or rifle. I will be out there when bow season opens up as much as possible, and out there with my gun when gun season opens up. Will I feel like a better hunter if I harvest one with my bow? Not sure. Will I feel like it was a more difficult challenge if I harvest one? Probably. I just want to be out there in all of God's creation and take it all in. If I'm lucky enough to harvest one with a bow, I will thank the good lord above for giving me the opportunity to take one. But, the same goes if I take one with my rifle. I will still thank him for blessing me with my harvest.

O

OFD2Truck

Any chance I have to be in the woods either with my bow, gun.....whatever ,gives me the same thrill. To me, a 150 class buck with either a gun or a bow is incredible or for that matter harvesting any animal with a bow is an accomplishment in itself. Who am I to "poo poo" what another hunter choses to harvest an animal with. For me personally, it allows me more time out of the city to enjoy gods creation. I applaud everyone who takes an animal (legally) this season, regardless of the weapon. Your opinion although not popular is just that, glad to know there are "hunters" amongst us who have to compensate for some inadequesies. :flag:

Carp

PWalls said:
Back to the original topic:
Personally, I get gratification with any weapon I am using because they all have their own challenges and rewards. Just becuase someone is passionate about a weapon they hunt with doesn't mean that another weapon is any less challenging or viable for someone else. The only drawback I have ever seen with any archery weapon is the possibility of a lost deer due to a less than perfect arrow placement. A rifle gives you more latitude. Now an argument that the archery hunter will make is that is part of the challenge they enjoy with their weapon is the skill necessary to get that perfect placement. That is fine by me, I have no problem with that as long as they understand the risk and are comfortable with a lost deer every now and then.

That says it all right there. Good post.

Taylor Co.

That's my point!

A trophy is a trophy to the Individual...That's one of the great things about hunting. Besides the togetherness of friends and the beauty of the great outdoors. The changing color of the leaves...the smell of fall...Man it needs to come on!
I just feel that as long as we all observe good judgement and hone our skills the sport of hunting can be enjoyed by all different types of people which keeps our hunting heritage strong.

Last edited:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
RT sorry your thread got high jacked!
The first time i shot a deer with my bow it changed me forever. Even though i carry a gun when i scout during deer season or sometimes when it is raining hard. The thrill is not there.
For me and me alone i just prefer bow hunting.