Different kind of week

Doug B.

This week has definitely been a little different for me. My buddy wanted me to come trap some beavers on his farm so he could tear out the dams on the creek. His farm is in Banks county almost an hour from me. So, I went Tuesday morning after the rain Monday. I will get back to that later.
I also went and remade some coyote sets on NF that I had tripped before the rain Valentine's weekend. My wife works at the flower shop (florist) so I always help them on Valentine's and can't check my traps.
Anyhow, I remade coyote traps Tuesday. I didn't have anything in them Wednesday. Thursday I had this gal.
Screenshot_20210226-180644_Gallery.jpg
And this guy.
Screenshot_20210226-180702_Gallery.jpg
Now if you notice, this guy only has three legs.
Screenshot_20210226-180714_Gallery.jpg
I caught one last year with a foot missing. Then this one with a complete leg missing. I have no clue what happened. I want to guess maybe it was shot off, but I have no way of knowing.
Then this morning I have this guy.
Screenshot_20210226-180731_Gallery.jpg
I had this one by the back foot. As I was walking to it, he was just stretched out. I thought he was dead. I thought somebody had already shot him although I didn't see any sign of anybody else being in there. As I got close to him, suddenly he jumped up and started bouncing like they do when you normally walk up on them.

Oh, the beavers! On the first check I had three!
Screenshot_20210226-180614_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210226-180622_Gallery.jpg
One in a connibears and two on castor mound drowning rods.
Screenshot_20210226-180630_Gallery.jpg
No more sign. No more beavers. I made dam breaks, nothing has repaired them for two days. I'm kinda surprised and disappointed that there wasn't more of them.

Last edited:

280 Man

Banned
Good work.

I got to reset my traps Tuesday but it started raining again today. Checked them yesterday and had two that had been tripped. Covered the others up with half a shingle. Its hard to trap in the mud.

Suppose to rain off and on the next 5-6 days with 4-5 inches of rain expected.

Doug B.

Nice work man! I guess that one coyote had a 75% shot of hitting the trap pan. :bounce:
Yeah! You think it's hard to get a coyote to step on a 2" pan with two front feet? The chances are cut in half with only one front foot. ?
Good work.

I got to reset my traps Tuesday but it started raining again today. Checked them yesterday and had two that had been tripped. Covered the others up with half a shingle. Its hard to trap in the mud.

Suppose to rain off and on the next 5-6 days with 4-5 inches of rain expected.
Yep! I didn't remake the set where I caught that one this morning because of the rain.

That reminds me. The set that I caught that one this morning was dug up by a coyote yesterday. I suspect a poorly bedded trap. That hardly ever happens to me cause I really make sure my trap is bedded solid (might have happened once before) Most of my traps I can drive to but this particular trap was about 1/4 mile walk, which is not far. But when I saw it was dug up yesterday, instead of going back to the truck to get my stuff, I rebed the trap and sifted dirt over it through my fingers. No rebait or lure or anything. Dude couldn't help himself. Had to go ahead and stick his foot in the trap.

280 Man

Banned
Yeah! You think it's hard to get a coyote to step on a 2" pan with two front feet? The chances are cut in half with only one front foot. ?

Yep! I didn't remake the set where I caught that one this morning because of the rain.

That reminds me. The set that I caught that one this morning was dug up by a coyote yesterday. I suspect a poorly bedded trap. That hardly ever happens to me cause I really make sure my trap is bedded solid (might have happened once before) Most of my traps I can drive to but this particular trap was about 1/4 mile walk, which is not far. But when I saw it was dug up yesterday, instead of going back to the truck to get my stuff, I rebed the trap and sifted dirt over it through my fingers. No rebait or lure or anything. Dude couldn't help himself. Had to go ahead and stick his foot in the trap.

I got a pic of another yote the other day. If I could get some dryer weather I could catch him. His time will come!! LOL

Doug B.

I went and pulled the traps that I had on NF Sunday. I had these two coyotes.
Screenshot_20210302-173656_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210302-173714_Gallery.jpg
I also pulled the beaver traps at my buddies farm. I caught the three beavers and let some water out of about 4 of their dams. I kept checking the traps for 4 more days and never saw anymore sign and they didn't come fix the dams so I think I got them all. I did have an otter in the conibear that I caught one of the beavers but I slap forgot to take a picture of it.

Latest posts