Discussions about Formal Shooting Competitions

idsman75

Is there a forum here where it's more likely to find discussion about formal shooting competitions?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Check the "Firearms, Reloading, & Scopes" forum.

LittleDrummerBoy

There is a forum here as mentioned above, but there are also a lot of Facebook discussion groups that may provide additional advice. Do you have a specific discipline in mind? I've coached and attended lots of different events: NRA High Power, F-Class, IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Rimfire Challenge, Tactical Rifle, Benchrest, etc. and would be happy to answer whatever questions I can.

This is an external forum focused on precision rifle disciplines: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/

One thing I've noticed about discussion forums about formal shooting is they can often be overly focused on turning competition into an equipment race rather than building skills. Odds are you can have lots of fun and grow significantly in your skills with existing equipment. But it takes some resolve to do that when there's so much talk about improving one's equipment as if that is the secret to success.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
One thing I've noticed about discussion forums about formal shooting is they can often be overly focused on turning competition into an equipment race rather than building skills. Odds are you can have lots of fun and grow significantly in your skills with existing equipment. But it takes some resolve to do that when there's so much talk about improving one's equipment as if that is the secret to success.

Great comment, LDB. When I was regularly shooting GADPA, most everyone else there had equipment much better and more expensive than mine. I was there to get better and build confidence. The best part about IDPA/GADPA was the familiarity you gain with your firearm, and how I went from uncomfortably carrying to very comfortably carrying. The best gun is the one you'll carry, not the one that costs the most.

LittleDrummerBoy

Great comment, LDB. When I was regularly shooting GADPA, most everyone else there had equipment much better and more expensive than mine. I was there to get better and build confidence. The best part about IDPA/GADPA was the familiarity you gain with your firearm, and how I went from uncomfortably carrying to very comfortably carrying. The best gun is the one you'll carry, not the one that costs the most.

IDPA does seem like less of an equipment race than USPSA and Steel Challenge. Though there is a core group I hang with that shoots their carry guns in all the applicable disciplines. And we also get our share of comment (positive and negative) for shooting hunting and varmint rifles in F-Class (600-1000 yards prone rifle) and Benchrest, unmodified Rem 870s in 3 gun, a bolt action 22 in Rimfire Challenge, and $300 22s in precision rimfire event. Our goal is to have fun, get better, and not spend so much money shooting that we have to scale back our fishing.

One of the challenges our family has faced getting into formal shooting is getting accurate information on the availability and scheduling of local events, as well as getting good information on how to get started in a given discipline (what to bring and what to expect). I can help folks in N Ga come up those learning curves quickly for all the disciplines named above.