Dixon Bay and Oliver Bridge WMA

Treynewton1

Does anyone know anything about these two WMA's. I cannot really find anything on them other than what the DNR website has listed. Anyone ever hunted them and what's your opinion on them

Jwiggs

Take this with a grain of salt as Ive only been hunting since last year. I havent killed anything on public land and just killed my first buck/deer sunday. However heres what ill say about oliver.

I have spent about 8-15 trips out there scouting and hunting. It is an incredibly thick forrest and dry swamp. There hasnt been a burn out there in years which results in incredibly thick ground coverage. Perfect for bows, shotguns, and 30-30. You wont be getting more than a 30 yard shot at max. There are maybe three trees out there that you could hang a tree stand as its so thick.

Have Ive seen alot of sign yes, from scat to trails. I have gotten a few on camera but nothing constant and no pattern. Its a very tough land to hunt and only gets a few deer a year harvested out there. But its called hunting not shooting.

Im a student in statesboro if you ever want more info or advice I love sharing what ive learned.

Oliver bridge is beside Gobar dog club so there is pressure from them. Best land on the wma is along the river and that area has been put off limits due to some water quality research project. As was stated above the rest is thick young planted pines where you can see about 10 feet. I would drive up to dixon bay if I were you.