DIY Maine Grouse

BigBass123

Looking at planning a trip in 2023 to Maine with a buddy to try for grouse.

No dogs, we’d be on foot. Plan would be to walk either side of logging roads, I’d assume if we could find areas that have been clear cut or burned that would be the ticket.

Any recommendation on time of season? I’d assume earlier the better.

Still very early in the planning stage but would like to hear input from anyone that’s been up there or researched a trip there.

tom turkey 2x2

I have never hunted maine, but have been going to Wisconsin since 2005, have learned several things that can help you in maine. Use Bing or Google maps, or a map service like onx. Study the maps starting now, learn what a clear cut looks like. Remember, You want a clear cut to be 10 to 15 years old, not new. Remember logging road are their for a reason, they as going to a cut, I even if can not see it. Walk old trails and logging rds. Without dogs can be good, walk down and stop occasionally.
more than likely Your fist trip doing it yourself will not be a lot of shooting, or killing, consider it a learning experience, build on it the next trip, and enjoy the hunt.

Get a good compass, and a g p s and know how to use it. I keep a small writing pad and write my direction that I am heading when I leave the truck. I also write the direction the road I came in on runs. The North woods are completely different from woods in Ga. They are huge and say to get turned around in!

Have fun!

Bigearl68

October is good. Bird numbers are key. 2-3 years ago it was lights out, last year while i was there it was very tough! You basic strategy will be walking roads in 10-20 year old growth. Listen for the flush on the sides of the road. You probably won’t see them but then you can head into the cover and look for a reflush or listen for them talking in the trees.
Road hunting is legal in Maine, so don’t be surprised to meet folks creeping along in a truck or on atv doing the very same thing you are.
I watch my buddy almost run over one crossing the road. So I stopped and loaded the gun, eased into the cover, and bagged it on the flush. It may seem a bit unnatural at first but it’s legal and VERY common practice by the locals.

Yankee in GA

I grew up hunting In Maine. You’ve got some good advise here. Usually we road hunt for partridge in between deer hunts. On the days we just want to hunt birds, we like to target old clear cuts and we ride the gravel roads until we jump one. Then we will get out and walk a bit. My grandfather always preferred late afternoon. He said that’s when they come down to the edge of the road to fill their crops with gravel.