DIY Stitch & Glue Canoe or Kayak?

Thread starter #1
When in high school I made a couple of canoes, one was wood and canvas and the other was plywood covered in fiberglass. The fiberglass made it a bit heavy.

Anyways I've allways thought the Stitch-and-Glue idea looks pretty good. Has anyone ever made one?

Here is one using Zip ties that are removed when the glue dries.

When in high school I made a couple of canoes, one was wood and canvas and the other was plywood covered in fiberglass. The fiberglass made it a bit heavy.

Anyways I've allways thought the Stitch-and-Glue idea looks pretty good. Has anyone ever made one?

Here is one using Zip ties that are removed when the glue dries.
It looks good. Is that your project?

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Staff member
Back in the 40s, 50, and early 60s, my Grandfather, Uncle, and a couple of cousins made boats similar to these. Not for sale but for their own use. This was a popular style in South and Southeast Georgia in that time. These two were made by the Ogeechee River Boat Company.

Geechee boat 2.jpg Geechee boat.jpg

Thread starter #11
I'm very impressed ! That's a beautiful boat!
Oh no that's not the one I made.

I was just showing examples. Mine did look pretty good. It had frames in it that looked sort of like this. Plus it has a keel in it. This was on about the third one I made. Too heavy from the fiberglass cloth. I should has just used the fiberglas cloth tape and done just the seams.

Last edited:
Thread starter #12
Back in the 40s, 50, and early 60s, my Grandfather, Uncle, and a couple of cousins made boats similar to these. Not for sale but for their own use. This was a popular style in South and Southeast Georgia in that time. These two were made by the Ogeechee River Boat Company.

View attachment 1041661 View attachment 1041662
That first one is a Racer Evans style? I can remember when my dad and all his buddies made a more simple John boat. Plus dad had one made of cypress.

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Staff member
That first one is a Racer Evans style? I can remember when my dad and all his buddies made a more simple John boat. Plus dad had one made of cypress.

I don`t know anything about what styles they were, but the ones they made to be paddled, like the one in the first picture, they called them a bateau.

Thread starter #15
This is sorta what the first one I made looked like, "Skin on Frame." Not such a great idea for small South Georgia rivers.
The next one I made I used fiberglass cloth and resin to replace the canvas skin. It sagged inward between each of the horizontal strips,lol. OH, and it had a plywood bottom. Neither one had seats, I just leaned back on a frame or thwart.
My strips were a 2x12 ripped into 1/4" strips on a table saw. The blade kept getting so hot, I'd have to let it cool down every so often.
Those two frames in mine were sold pieces of plywood.

Thread starter #16
Mine was sort of like this one but with no seat and a fiberglass bottom. Both were so short, they didn't need thwarts. Mine had about twice as many wood strips.

Cmp1

This is sorta what the first one I made looked like, "Skin on Frame." Not such a great idea for small South Georgia rivers.
The next one I made I used fiberglass cloth and resin to replace the canvas skin. It sagged inward between each of the horizontal strips,lol. OH, and it had a plywood bottom. Neither one had seats, I just leaned back on a frame or thwart.
My strips were a 2x12 ripped into 1/4" strips on a table saw. The blade kept getting so hot, I'd have to let it cool down every so often.
Those two frames in mine were sold pieces of plywood.

Years ago I had contemplated building one like this, I was going to use poplar, because of its bending ability,oak for the frame with dowel construction,,,,