DIY Stitch & Glue Canoe or Kayak?

Artfuldodger

When in high school I made a couple of canoes, one was wood and canvas and the other was plywood covered in fiberglass. The fiberglass made it a bit heavy.

Anyways I've allways thought the Stitch-and-Glue idea looks pretty good. Has anyone ever made one?

Here is one using Zip ties that are removed when the glue dries.
220px-Canoe_stitch_and_glue.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Back in the 40s, 50, and early 60s, my Grandfather, Uncle, and a couple of cousins made boats similar to these. Not for sale but for their own use. This was a popular style in South and Southeast Georgia in that time. These two were made by the Ogeechee River Boat Company.

Geechee boat 2.jpgGeechee boat.jpg

Artfuldodger

I'm very impressed ! That's a beautiful boat!
Oh no that's not the one I made.

I was just showing examples. Mine did look pretty good. It had frames in it that looked sort of like this. Plus it has a keel in it. This was on about the third one I made. Too heavy from the fiberglass cloth. I should has just used the fiberglas cloth tape and done just the seams.
48frame%20assembly.jpg

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Back in the 40s, 50, and early 60s, my Grandfather, Uncle, and a couple of cousins made boats similar to these. Not for sale but for their own use. This was a popular style in South and Southeast Georgia in that time. These two were made by the Ogeechee River Boat Company.

View attachment 1041661View attachment 1041662
That first one is a Racer Evans style? I can remember when my dad and all his buddies made a more simple John boat. Plus dad had one made of cypress.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That first one is a Racer Evans style? I can remember when my dad and all his buddies made a more simple John boat. Plus dad had one made of cypress.

I don`t know anything about what styles they were, but the ones they made to be paddled, like the one in the first picture, they called them a bateau.

Artfuldodger

This is sorta what the first one I made looked like, "Skin on Frame." Not such a great idea for small South Georgia rivers.
The next one I made I used fiberglass cloth and resin to replace the canvas skin. It sagged inward between each of the horizontal strips,lol. OH, and it had a plywood bottom. Neither one had seats, I just leaned back on a frame or thwart.
My strips were a 2x12 ripped into 1/4" strips on a table saw. The blade kept getting so hot, I'd have to let it cool down every so often.
Those two frames in mine were sold pieces of plywood.

Photo-0205_001.jpg

Artfuldodger

Mine was sort of like this one but with no seat and a fiberglass bottom. Both were so short, they didn't need thwarts. Mine had about twice as many wood strips.
WL1.JPG

Cmp1

BANNED
This is sorta what the first one I made looked like, "Skin on Frame." Not such a great idea for small South Georgia rivers.
The next one I made I used fiberglass cloth and resin to replace the canvas skin. It sagged inward between each of the horizontal strips,lol. OH, and it had a plywood bottom. Neither one had seats, I just leaned back on a frame or thwart.
My strips were a 2x12 ripped into 1/4" strips on a table saw. The blade kept getting so hot, I'd have to let it cool down every so often.
Those two frames in mine were sold pieces of plywood.

Photo-0205_001.jpg
Years ago I had contemplated building one like this, I was going to use poplar, because of its bending ability,oak for the frame with dowel construction,,,,