DNR biologists consider CWD a real threat to Georgia's deer herd

lampern

Killmaster says it has been decided that Georgia will for the first time ever make its CWD Response Plan available to the public.

“We’re really getting it cleaned up before we put it out to the public,” he said. “It should be ready in the next several months, probably by mid-summer.”

The fact that CWD has always been several states away has never made him feel complacent, Killmaster said.

“I’m neck-deep in it all the time,” he said. “I’m in frequent touch with counterparts in other states that have CWD. I’ see what they are going through with all their issues. My level of concern over CWD has been high from the get-go.”

http://www.gon.com/news/cwd-found-in-mississippi-deer

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If you spent as much time and energy getting NC to stop baiting as you do Georgia we wouldn't have to worry about CWD.:cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you spent as much time and energy getting NC to stop baiting as you do Georgia we wouldn't have to worry about CWD.:cheers:

With deer baiting being legal here for as long as I can remember, all our deer already died from CWD long ago, so he has to come down there and hunt, I reckon?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
With deer baiting being legal here for as long as I can remember, all our deer already died from CWD long ago, so he has to come down there and hunt, I reckon?
I don't know where he hunts,but he sure sticks his nose in our bizniss a awful lot these days.Maybe he can lobby to get a wall built so your NC CWD infested deer won't spread to Georgia.:bounce::rofl::rofl:

They might want to pick up the phone and have a chat with Dr. James Kroll and his take on CWD.

rosewood

Now you know CWD only spreads during hunting season. Off season baiting does not contribute to CWD.::ke:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Now you know CWD only spreads during hunting season. Off season baiting does not contribute to CWD.::ke:

And if it comes into Georgia via the southern zone, it won't make it into the Northern Zone due to the "no baiting" laws..

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I notice all you guys bashing lampern don't have much in the way of rebuttal to Mr. Killmaster. How come dat is? Don't want to be embarrassed with facts and data in public by the wildlife biologist responsible for managing whitetail deer in this state?

I don't know why all you outhouse wildlife biologists are afraid to take on Mr. Killmaster. I'm sure he can easily be proven wrong by one of you making a tour de force presentation. Surely one of you has the guts to take him on, mano y mano?

shdw633

I notice all you guys bashing lampern don't have much in the way of rebuttal to Mr. Killmaster. How come dat is? Don't want to be embarrassed with facts and data in public by the wildlife biologist responsible for managing whitetail deer in this state?

I don't know why all you outhouse wildlife biologists are afraid to take on Mr. Killmaster. I'm sure he can easily be proven wrong by one of you making a tour de force presentation. Surely one of you has the guts to take him on, mano y mano?

Because his take is no different then any other biologists out there. They don't like baiting because it is another vector "that can", but is not proven to, spread the disease, he knows that states that already have it have found no way to contain it and are learning to live with the disease and that the best treatment for the disease is to just not get it in your state. He also knows that CWD is not started by baiting. No reason to fight, we know his stance and he knows the proponents of baiting's stance.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You know me.. I'm not afraid to argue with anyone.. :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
......he knows that states that already have it have found no way to contain it and are .......

Let me finish that sentence for you:

...he knows that states that already have it have found no way to contain it and are regretting allowing baiting AND supplemental feeding and have now outlawed both practices in the CWD zones and adjacent areas. They are forced into a reactive situation because they know baiting AND supplemental feeding will accelerate the spread of the disease.

Being reactive, as opposed to being proactive, is a weakness, a severe character flaw. One who chooses to be reactive, when a proactive course is obviously the intelligent course, is most likely not mentally fit. The trait of being reactive is a flaw I look for and use when evaluating my employees and is a flaw that will put one on the cull list as quickly as being a thief.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Because his take is no different then any other biologists out there. They don't like baiting because it is another vector "that can", but is not proven to, spread the disease, he knows that states that already have it have found no way to contain it and are learning to live with the disease and that the best treatment for the disease is to just not get it in your state. He also knows that CWD is not started by baiting. No reason to fight, we know his stance and he knows the proponents of baiting's stance.

Don't address me. Address him. He's the expert. ::ke::bounce:

shdw633

...he knows that states that already have it have found no way to contain it and are regretting allowing baiting AND supplemental feeding and have now outlawed both practices in the CWD zones and adjacent areas. They are forced into a reactive situation because they know baiting AND supplemental feeding will accelerate the spread of the disease.

Being reactive, as opposed to being proactive, is a weakness, a severe character flaw. One who chooses to be reactive, when a proactive course is obviously the intelligent course, is most likely not mentally fit. The trait of being reactive is a flaw I look for and use when evaluating my employees and is a flaw that will put one on the cull list as quickly as being a thief.

You still have no proof it is spread that way and though you are correct that they stop feeding and baiting in areas that have CWD they have found that this does not stop the disease from spreading and continue to bait in areas outside those zones, like Michigan currently is doing. Furthermore, deer that have been found in captive pens to have CWD have not, in many instances, spread the disease to other deer on the same farm, why not?? Would seem that if all the deer are feeding in the same area as a deer with CWD then they would all have it.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

Please share a link if you have it. Every CWD website I can find says its still a theory how it spreads

humdandy

Banned

What does this say about our current DNR Biologists, Politicians and all other involved in the decision making process? CWD is nothing new and every stakeholder in the state is aware of the problems it could potentially cause for our states deer heard.

Seems I recall the same argument years ago and nothing has been done about it.

Just a few from 14 years ago....

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=33566&highlight=cwd

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=1346&highlight=cwd

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Every CWD website I can find says its still a theory how it spreads

Yeah, it's just a "theory" all of the wildlife biologists in the country pulled out of their collective booty. There's absolutely no scientific method involved in how they came up with this theory, plus they work for the government so you know you can't believe a word they say.

Reactions: Kev