DNR biologists consider CWD a real threat to Georgia's deer herd

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Because his take is no different then any other biologists out there. They don't like baiting because it is another vector "that can", but is not proven to, spread the disease,

I don't disagree with anything you said, except that statement. Feeding deer has been proven to increase disease transmission.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.7589/0090-3558-39.1.84

http://www.emwh.org/pdf/wildlife di...g on Infectious Disease Transmission Risk.pdf

:pop:

:pop2:

j_seph

I don't know where he hunts,but he sure sticks his nose in our bizniss a awful lot these days.Maybe he can lobby to get a wall built so your NC CWD infested deer won't spread to Georgia.:bounce::rofl::rofl:
No need for a wall, all their deer are dead.....................a long time ago. Now may need a border wall to keep our deer from becoming illegal immigrants!

It has been my experience.......

that you are not just feeding deer, you are feeding all wildlife.

And for the record, I am for baiting. I am for the same law being equal to the entire state. If baiting is legal in the southern zone, then baiting should be legal in the northern zone. Most people don't live within 1/2 mile of the line across the state, but I do. "the line" is silly.

I do not agree with baiting turkeys, or any migratory birds or water fowl...ever.

I am also for statewide deer season and let doe days manage the deer herd by sex or population control.

We have a lot of issues in wildlife in this state. But with the exception of a very few areas, there are plenty of deer. I have been spending a lot of time in the last few weeks on the public lands in Jasper and surrounding counties. The lack of turkey sign is a concern to me. And frankly, the deer sign will not blow you away.

However, the deer are not being "shot out" but wildlife habitat in these regions is starting to raise eyebrows. Control burning should be confined to the winter months. And frankly, why leave hardwoods on the ridges if you are going to burn them out.

And we won't go into timber policies, it just make my skin crawl.

Just a few observations, and only opinion.

s&r

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
What does this say about our current DNR Biologists, Politicians and all other involved in the decision making process? CWD is nothing new and every stakeholder in the state is aware of the problems it could potentially cause for our states deer heard.

Seems I recall the same argument years ago and nothing has been done about it.

Just a few from 14 years ago....

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=33566&highlight=cwd

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=1346&highlight=cwd

Just to correct your statement, the DNR Biologists do NOT agree with the practice of baiting or supplemental feeding. Unfortunately, Georgia's wildlife agency does not have the authority to make decisions relative to this matter. Those decisions are left to the lawyers, car salesmen and olive oil farmers who populate the House and Senate.

humdandy

Banned
Just to correct your statement, the DNR Biologists do NOT agree with the practice of baiting or supplemental feeding. Unfortunately, Georgia's wildlife agency does not have the authority to make decisions relative to this matter. Those decisions are left to the lawyers, car salesmen and olive oil farmers who populate the House and Senate.

I did not make that statement.

They have been aware of the issues associated with feeding and CWD is what I said.

I don't seem to hear any major pushes from anybody in the state over the past 15 years banning ALL feeding.

Why not?

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I did not make that statement.

They have been aware of the issues associated with feeding and CWD is what I said.

I don't seem to hear any major pushes from anybody in the state over the past 15 years banning ALL feeding.

Why not?

You must have not been at the meetings and hearings on the subject. There certainly has been a contingent - DNR along with many stakeholders who have called for an end to the practice at both WRD public input hearings as well as in House and Senate Committee and sub-committee hearings.

There has been more than a decade of discussion on the matter, including conversation about those many meetings, right here in this forum.

Your elected gooberment officials make the decisions based on Billy Bob at the diner back home crying about how he can't kill a deer without corn and the politically connect feed mill owner's desire to sell corn to Billy Bob.

It really is just that simple.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Yeah, it's just a "theory" all of the wildlife biologists in the country pulled out of their collective booty. There's absolutely no scientific method involved in how they came up with this theory, plus they work for the government so you know you can't believe a word they say.

I think this is the case with global warming also!:cheers:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
What does this say about our current DNR Biologists, Politicians and all other involved in the decision making process?

And, actually, you did make the statement. DNR Biologists are not the decision makers. We simply cannot have wildlife biologists making biological decisions when we have perfectly good olive farmers who can make them for us!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You must have not been at the meetings and hearings on the subject. There certainly has been a contingent - DNR along with many stakeholders who have called for an end to the practice at both WRD public input hearings as well as in House and Senate Committee and sub-committee hearings.

There has been more than a decade of discussion on the matter, including conversation about those many meetings, right here in this forum.

Your elected gooberment officials make the decisions based on Billy Bob at the diner back home crying about how he can't kill a deer without corn and the politically connect feed mill owner's desire to sell corn to Billy Bob.

It really is just that simple.

So it is a political issue instead of a biological issue?

JBowers

So it is a political issue instead of a biological issue?

In the statutory policy-making realm, that seems to be an accurate observation.

Accurate observations, from reading several of the recent threads on related topics, can also include a wholesale failure in comprehension and understanding in the principles of infectious disease transmission (interestingly, that we don't take for granted when it concerns our own health); basic understanding of the scientific method in meeting unreasonable demands; and the evidence contained therein that demonstrate why we have a Kakistocracy.

We do the best we can within the box defined by others. Recall the commercial of the kid on the tricycle in the red line box the same size of the tricycle (You can ride your tricycle but not outside the box).

Last edited:

shdw633

I don't disagree with anything you said, except that statement. Feeding deer has been proven to increase disease transmission.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.7589/0090-3558-39.1.84

http://www.emwh.org/pdf/wildlife di...g on Infectious Disease Transmission Risk.pdf

My statement was strictly on CWD and not bovine tuberculous or other diseases; however, those diseases are no different in the fact that if you remove feeding/baiting from the equation you still have not stopped the spread of any disease as demonstrated in the state of Michigan who has a history of bovine tuberculous in that state but still approves of baiting in those areas not effected by CWD as of now. Also I have to wonder about how many deer to the amount of bait placed on the ground was utilized in these studies. My point being is that like a farm, there is an area that all the deer feed from and hence can congregate in large numbers; however, in the wild you will have, after baiting is legalized, many, many areas that contain feed/bait and the deer don't have to congregate in one area. It's not like I have pics of 30 deer feeding at one time in my feed station, at best I have 4 at any given time and camera data of our 2000 acres shows that many of the deer only feed in certain parts of the property and not at all the feeders or feed stations are located on it. What is the control on these studies?

I am not naive enough to state that baiting/feeding cannot contribute to the spread of disease; however, I was speaking of CWD and only CWD and to date their is no evidence of it spreading this way. Like EHD, you would not stop that disease by ceasing baiting and I am not aware of any diseases that are currently spreading through the Georgia herd where not allowing baiting would be have an impact in stopping the disease. Again, I also re-iterate that states like Illinois and Colorado have never had baiting and have more disease's like EHD and CWD then most other states, how does that happen since they don't allow the feeding/baiting of deer, you could argue that it would spread quicker if baiting was legalized but then you would have states like Ohio, Kansas, Arkansas and Texas, which do allow baiting and yet the fact that the spread of the disease is not spiraling out of control would make stating that it spreads the disease quicker a difficult statement to support in my opinion.

The mtn man

If disease is the scary threat it is, then all feeding should be outlawed!! It seems some use the argument that baiting is bad for deer health, but feeding is not??? I don't get that theory. Like I said before, I wouldn't care if it was all done away with. Stop feeding, stop baiting, nation wide. Although, I really don't care if it's legal either, I'm neutral on the matter, but don't insult my intelligence by being against baiting for health reasons, but not against feeding.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
My statement was strictly on CWD and not bovine tuberculous or other diseases; however, those diseases are no different in the fact that if you remove feeding/baiting from the equation you still have not stopped the spread of any disease as demonstrated in the state of Michigan who has a history of bovine tuberculous in that state but still approves of baiting in those areas not effected by CWD as of now. Also I have to wonder about how many deer to the amount of bait placed on the ground was utilized in these studies. My point being is that like a farm, there is an area that all the deer feed from and hence can congregate in large numbers; however, in the wild you will have, after baiting is legalized, many, many areas that contain feed/bait and the deer don't have to congregate in one area. It's not like I have pics of 30 deer feeding at one time in my feed station, at best I have 4 at any given time and camera data of our 2000 acres shows that many of the deer only feed in certain parts of the property and not at all the feeders or feed stations are located on it. What is the control on these studies?

I am not naive enough to state that baiting/feeding cannot contribute to the spread of disease; however, I was speaking of CWD and only CWD and to date their is no evidence of it spreading this way. Like EHD, you would not stop that disease by ceasing baiting and I am not aware of any diseases that are currently spreading through the Georgia herd where not allowing baiting would be have an impact in stopping the disease. Again, I also re-iterate that states like Illinois and Colorado have never had baiting and have more disease's like EHD and CWD then most other states, how does that happen since they don't allow the feeding/baiting of deer, you could argue that it would spread quicker if baiting was legalized but then you would have states like Ohio, Kansas, Arkansas and Texas, which do allow baiting and yet the fact that the spread of the disease is not spiraling out of control would make stating that it spreads the disease quicker a difficult statement to support in my opinion.
It might be as simple as the weaker deer in the herd are prone to get certain diseases.Survival of the fittest.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If disease is the scary threat it is, then all feeding should be outlawed!! It seems some use the argument that baiting is bad for deer health, but feeding is not??? I don't get that theory. Like I said before, I wouldn't care if it was all done away with. Stop feeding, stop baiting, nation wide. Although, I really don't care if it's legal either, I'm neutral on the matter, but don't insult my intelligence by being against baiting for health reasons, but not against feeding.

Good point.Baiting is short term to kill a deer. Feeding is to increase the overall health of the wildlife.JMO....

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

I'm not here to argue. You made some blanket statements about my position on the subject, which I mostly agreed with, but I clarified one of them and provided some evidence to support my position.

shdw633

I'm not here to argue. You made some blanket statements about my position on the subject, which I mostly agreed with, but I clarified one of them and provided some evidence to support my position.

I am not arguing and do respect your position and clarification on my statements. It was just a way of pointing out why we have a difference in opinions in the matter, which goes to why I stated earlier that we basically know your position on it and you pretty much know ours and thats why we don't get into these head banging conversations with you. I have a great appreciation of you just being on this board so that we can have conversations on this and other subjects facing the outdoor community, many of which I agree with you on.....just not this one. :bounce::bounce:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I notice all you guys bashing lampern don't have much in the way of rebuttal to Mr. Killmaster. How come dat is? Don't want to be embarrassed with facts and data in public by the wildlife biologist responsible for managing whitetail deer in this state?

I don't know why all you outhouse wildlife biologists are afraid to take on Mr. Killmaster. I'm sure he can easily be proven wrong by one of you making a tour de force presentation. Surely one of you has the guts to take him on, mano y mano?

Wasn’t CWD created by a “Wildlife Biologist” at a research facility in Colorado?