DNR requests legalization of minnow traps- now legal to use

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve seined minners all my life , never knew it was against the law ! Thanks , another reason to be looking over my shoulder ?

lampern

Apparently this is the new language regarding minnow traps and minnow seines:

It shall be unlawful to take any game fish or American eels by minnow seines or minnow traps from the fresh waters of this state. It shall also be unlawful to take any nongame fish by minnow seines or minnow traps from any of the fresh waters of this state, except where such fish are five inches in length or less and are not to be sold or otherwise used for commercial purposes and except where such waters are not trout waters as designated pursuant to Code Section 27-4-51. It shall further be unlawful for any person to engage in the use of minnow seines or minnow traps to collect nongame fish in the fresh waters of this state without a valid resident or nonresident fishing license as provided in Code Section 27-2-23. In accordance with sound principles of wildlife research and management, the department shall have the authority to specify open seasons, creel and possession limits, gear specifications, species taken, and waters open to the use of minnow seines and minnow traps in accordance with this title."

Now to sit back and see if it passes.

little rascal

In WV you can use minner traps. Have to have no larger than a 1" hole. Last year you couldn't throw a cast net with a radius larger than 3 ft.???? You could use seines. This year you can throw a cast net with a radius no larger than 12ft.??????
I think you can use minnows in trout streams, but some places have restrictions on their use in some lakes and sections of river.
Ya'll should see the Hunting regs and seasons!!!!!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
In WV you can use minner traps. Have to have no larger than a 1" hole. Last year you couldn't throw a cast net with a radius larger than 3 ft.???? You could use seines. This year you can throw a cast net with a radius no larger than 12ft.??????
I think you can use minnows in trout streams, but some places have restrictions on their use in some lakes and sections of river.
Ya'll should see the Hunting regs and seasons!!!!!
Didn't know just how good you had it, did Ya?:stir:

turkeykirk

Turkeykirk

Unfortunately for you the bill doesn't allow seines and traps in trout streams

Don’t tell the game warden. What he don’t know won’t hurt me .:rofl: