Do activated-carbon garments really work?

TreeJacker

They separate you from about $300.....no idea whether they really work. I know the Drury brothers are high on them.....who knows.

Junebug

Just a theory; but it's part of a 'scent control system'

There's no single magic bullet for scent control (except maybe taking advantage of the wind), but even then if he unexpectedly comes in downwind, the jig might be up. Here's my theory:

1) Users of carbon or silver-infused garments are often FANATICS about scent control which probably means they use other methods of scent control; soap, deoderant, sprays, wind, rubber boots, not touching vegetation, etc.
2) Call it psychology but if I plunk down $200 for carbon garments, you will not catch me wearing it doing anything other than in the field hunting, and would do everything in my power (washing, storage) to keep them as "pristine" as when they came from the manufacturer.

Those 2 reasons may account for some of the "scent-free clothing is amazing stuff" testimonies. Having said this and having tried it for a few years, I definitely don't call it amazing stuff but can't argue with my results. Is it the "system" or the clothes or maybe a little of both? I dunno.

Personally I think the clothing may have little to do with it but of the SCORES of deer I have seen (most within bow range) I haven't been busted 1 single time. I certainly couldn't say that in the past.

Last edited:

Randy

They do work...........but here's why and it has nothing to do with carbon.

People who by these garments follow the instructions. First off they take them home and wash them in scent free detergents (just as the instructions say). Then they take them out of the dryer and put them in a scent free bag that locks and keeps other scents out (just like the instructions say). Then the taken them in these scent free bags to the woods and put them on after getting out of the vehicle (just as the instructions say). When they are finshed hunting, they put them back in the scent free bag (just as the instructions say). They do not wear them to the nearest resturant or around the campfire (just as the instructions say). They keep them as scent free as they can by not wearing them outside of hunting and not from home to the hunting spot (just as the instructions say).

That's right. The work becasue if you spend this much money on clothes you want to take care of them and follow the instructions.

Actually I have thought about coming out with my own camo. No different from any others but with a high price tag and instructions on how to take care fo them. Maybe even sewn in?

These things do work but it is because people who purchase them follow the instructions on how to remain scent free.

Snakeman

For what it's worth........I've seen several different hunting shows where the hunters are wearing "the suits". They praise the greatness of the "odor eliminating" suits in one breath, and worry about the wind in the next. On these same hunting shows, they show deer "winding" the hunter, and walking away.

Like others have said here, it's not so much the suit, as the things you do in conjunction with the suit.

The Snakeman

Scout-N-Hunt

As others have said, I belive the carbon hunting clothes are only one part of the system and all aspects of the system must be observed if optimal results are to be expected. I do believe they work and have personally seen a lot more deer since I started wearing them ............. and following the instructions.

Having said that, I still believe hunting the wind is priority.

And then there was the 250lb massive 14 point that a local business owner told me he shot a couple of years ago AFTER putting out the cigarette he was smoking! :hair: :rolleyes: :huh:

Prefaced the comment by saying he's not much of a deer hunter either ........... sometimes it just boils down to luck & how much time you spend in the deer woods.

S-N-H

PWalls

I'll go with Randy on this one. A normal pair of camos that you take care with will do the job as well. Factor in hunting the wind as well and there is no need of a suit like that.

Of course, I would have a suit if someone gave me one. Wouldn't put the money into it myself though.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Randy said:
They do work...........but here's why and it has nothing to do with carbon.

People who by these garments follow the instructions. First off they take them home and wash them in scent free detergents (just as the instructions say). Then they take them out of the dryer and put them in a scent free bag that locks and keeps other scents out (just like the instructions say). Then the taken them in these scent free bags to the woods and put them on after getting out of the vehicle (just as the instructions say). When they are finshed hunting, they put them back in the scent free bag (just as the instructions say). They do not wear them to the nearest resturant or around the campfire (just as the instructions say). They keep them as scent free as they can by not wearing them outside of hunting and not from home to the hunting spot (just as the instructions say).

That's right. The work becasue if you spend this much money on clothes you want to take care of them and follow the instructions.

Actually I have thought about coming out with my own camo. No different from any others but with a high price tag and instructions on how to take care fo them. Maybe even sewn in?

These things do work but it is because people who purchase them follow the instructions on how to remain scent free.
:smash: :smash: :smash:

What Randy said.