Do any of you pull off the side of the road and fish creeks?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
There's a lot of creeks Georgia DNR stocks, and I think it's because they get into the ecosystem more than worrying about someone fishing. But, do any of you just pull off on the shoulder of the road and fish? When I look at the maps on county websites, they usually have about 25' of shoulder space. Everything is else somebody's land, which I want to respect.

I'm also wondering if you can pull off on the shoulder and stay there legally, but don't know much about it. There are tons of places, as most of you know, just no way to get to them.

This is for any part of Georgia where there's no designated pullover like some of the streams I've seen in North Georgia, could ask this same questions about rivers too.

Thanks for help. Yes, I know you are not a lawyer on the legal question.

Down here in South Georgia it`s a common sight in the summer to see fishermen, usually old black folks, fishing from rural bridges and on the bank by the bridges catching supper. You can tell the good fishing spots because of the lines, corks, and lures hanging from the communication lines that nearly always span the creeks.

Big7

The Oracle
What's a turtle peg?
18" long stick (old broom handles cut up work good) and 10' - 15' of nylon line like you use for limb hooks and a hook. No weight.

Tie it all up and throw it out. Step on the peg until it's almost flush with the ground so folks can't see it easily.

Bait with chicken gizzard.
Good rig for turtle and in big water, you might even pick up a flathead.

pbradley

My dad and I found a beaverdam swamp once on the side of a dirt road and must have caught a couple dozen fat shellcrakers in the 3/4 to 1 pound each range.

LovinOutside

You can’t float or fish a non navigable creek without permission. Here is the law if you are interested.

https://www.jbwpc.com/Articles/Zoni...ES-WHAT-ARE-YOUR-RIGHTS-AND-LIABILITIES.shtml

Go down to riparian rights (B) part 2 for a good explanation. You can fish from the public land of the right of way, but if you are waking, floating, or even casting up into the part of the creek that is on private land, you are not legal. The owner of the bed controls access to the water above on non-navigable water. It’s not nearly as complicated as people want to make it out to be.

Interesting. Thanks. Some of it "feels" excessive.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I grew up doing exactly what you're talking about along the creeks that feed the Altamaha and Ohoopee rivers. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon; never knew what you were going to catch.

Just bank fish from the public right-of-way, and you'll be okay.

bany

If you can park without obstructing the flow of traffic or berm/shoulder go fishing.

OwlRNothing

I would assume if the creek is stocked there is public access and you can fish it.

Otherwise why stock it?
You would be wrong. DNR stocks creeks with no ( or only one questionable) public access - or at least they did 10 years ago.

OwlRNothing

It kind of devolved. I was mostly interested in the pulling over part. I already know not to go on people's property.

I believe the actual water isn't owned, so I guess you could walk or float, but I really was more curious on people pulling of the side of the road. I usually look at the county GIS first m. If you follow it far enough, there's typically a small part no owned by any regular person, but I digress.

What you believe and what the law says ( and how a judge would interpret it ) are two( or three?) different things that may or may not all be aligned. Best to stick to public water that you know is public. Trout water that's on WMA or national forest or other "public land." Don't get me started on that misnomer, though.

Additionally, I'd encourage you to do your own research and get the facts and not rely on what anyone, including me, tells you on the internet. :)

fish hawk

Bass Master
I use to but not anymore.There was a time when no one cared but now the crazy Karens and Darrins will come out of the wood work and call the law on you.Ive waded many prime South West Georgia creeks pitching crickets and beetlespins catching all sorts of fish from rooster reds,stump knockers,spekled perch, bass and mudfish,I didnt have a clue whose land i was on,man I miss those times.I get it and understand why people don't want folks wading up and down their creek anymore back then was a different time but those days are gone and will never return again.

turkeykirk

Down here in South Georgia it`s a common sight in the summer to see fishermen, usually old black folks, fishing from rural bridges and on the bank by the bridges catching supper. You can tell the good fishing spots because of the lines, corks, and lures hanging from the communication lines that nearly always span the creeks.

Is that how you got your fishing tackle on the cheap will you get worked on the power lines.:biggrin2:

oldfella1962

I use to but not anymore.There was a time when no one cared but now the crazy Karens and Darrins will come out of the wood work and call the law on you.Ive waded many prime South West Georgia creeks pitching crickets and beetlespins catching all sorts of fish from rooster reds,stump knockers,spekled perch, bass and mudfish,I didnt have a clue whose land i was on,man I miss those times.I get it and understand why people don't want folks wading up and down their creek anymore back then was a different time but those days are gone and will never return again.

There's a guy on you tube who is "living the dream" with creek fishing. (y)
Mostly from the bank, often wading, sometimes a kayak, but it's mostly small creeks with a wide variety of species - bass, bluegill, red breasts, rock bass, green sunfish, mudfish, catfish, etc. and of course using light tackle with Beetle Spins, Rebel micro crankbaits, Rooster Tails/Mepps, the usual lures for small waters.

mlandrum

I fish a lot of side road ditches and creeks but not for trout but bream and kitty Kats —-Pictures from this Spring:A7C7F8B9-A47C-4CCC-8C0B-565AA9997C3B.jpeg

Attachments

• 2DD164F5-2866-41DF-BA64-6C1B05F846BE.jpeg
    2DD164F5-2866-41DF-BA64-6C1B05F846BE.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 4