do deer calls work part 2

RipperIII

ok, so a few threads have been started pertaining to this topic, and now i have to say unequivocally, that I am convinced that they do... at least this time of the season.
I called in my 3rd buck this a.m. while sitting on the ground...no chair this time, sitting against a tree turkey style.
I was facing west on the south bank of a creek, wind in my face, medium sized tree to my back.
I did a blind call...meaning that i did not see any deer in the area.
I used a grunt tube adjusted for doe bleats, gave a soft 4 or 5 bleats starting in front of me and turning around to my rear to simulate a moving doe.

Thinking that i'd see , ...any movement up ahead and up wind, i surveyed the the openings thoroughly.
10 minutes go by give or take when i catch movement behind and to my right across the creek and straight down wind of me.

Along comes a nice 2.5 yr 8pt. walking and scanning, he reaches the edge of the north bank, pauses, licks his nose, then drops down into and crosses the creek...within 8 yds of me. When he steps up onto the south bank he is with in 5yds of me. he sees my elbow and probably part of my face...im frozen still as i can be. He closes in a step or 2, then gives me the head bob, turning both left and right eyes onto me...and eventually moves away...SLOWLY...I cant tell where he is at this point but I cant move. A few painful, crampy minutes pass and i finally, slowly peer around the tree, at which point he blow and makes his way up creek.

so, yes I absolutely believe calls work.
He is the 3rd buck called right to me in less than one week.
The first 2 bucks i could see when i called...one was another 2.5 really nice looking dude, the other was an old grey faced pot bellied joker which i posted a pic of in another thread.
this guy came in blind...and he was again, about 2.5yrs.

I do NOT pretend to know what I'm doing...but i've called them in with the doe bleat can, and the extinguisher grunt tube...and it is FUN!

Hillbilly stalker

I always always carry a grunt call. I have killed bucks the first day of our archery season (Sept. 15th), chasing and grunting does. Bleat cans are more touchy to me, they can run off does which will often scare off the bucks in tow. Older bucks will often circle to catch your wind first if the grunt sounds to mature or dominate just like rattling horns. Those close in counters are some of the most fun times in my opinion. I always carry a grunt.

Rabun

Sure did work! Bet that was exciting! I’ll have my grunt with me and hope I get an opportunity to use it. I’m still reluctant to blind call though. Thanks for
Posting your experiences!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
ok, so a few threads have been started pertaining to this topic, and now i have to say unequivocally, that I am convinced that they do... at least this time of the season.
I called in my 3rd buck this a.m. while sitting on the ground...no chair this time, sitting against a tree turkey style.
I was facing west on the south bank of a creek, wind in my face, medium sized tree to my back.
I did a blind call...meaning that i did not see any deer in the area.
I used a grunt tube adjusted for doe bleats, gave a soft 4 or 5 bleats starting in front of me and turning around to my rear to simulate a moving doe.

Thinking that i'd see , ...any movement up ahead and up wind, i surveyed the the openings thoroughly.
10 minutes go by give or take when i catch movement behind and to my right across the creek and straight down wind of me.

Along comes a nice 2.5 yr 8pt. walking and scanning, he reaches the edge of the north bank, pauses, licks his nose, then drops down into and crosses the creek...within 8 yds of me. When he steps up onto the south bank he is with in 5yds of me. he sees my elbow and probably part of my face...im frozen still as i can be. He closes in a step or 2, then gives me the head bob, turning both left and right eyes onto me...and eventually moves away...SLOWLY...I cant tell where he is at this point but I cant move. A few painful, crampy minutes pass and i finally, slowly peer around the tree, at which point he blow and makes his way up creek.

so, yes I absolutely believe calls work.
He is the 3rd buck called right to me in less than one week.
The first 2 bucks i could see when i called...one was another 2.5 really nice looking dude, the other was an old grey faced pot bellied joker which i posted a pic of in another thread.
this guy came in blind...and he was again, about 2.5yrs.

I do NOT pretend to know what I'm doing...but i've called them in with the doe bleat can, and the extinguisher grunt tube...and it is FUN!
YASSS!! Man that was fun!! I called in a 1.5 yo buck last week after him and a doe boogered out without blowing……2 short grunts and he was back underneath me in a matter of minutes! I gotta keep trying the bleat can. Are you running it long by turning it over? I usually blow into mine……cannot say I’ve got a response from the can. I’d like to get a different bleat call.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sure did work! Bet that was exciting! I’ll have my grunt with me and hope I get an opportunity to use it. I’m still reluctant to blind call though. Thanks for
Posting your experiences!
Whether or not you see it should not matter as much as whether or not he should be able to see you when he comes in. IMHO

RipperIII

YASSS!! Man that was fun!! I called in a 1.5 yo buck last week after him and a doe boogered out without blowing……2 short grunts and he was back underneath me in a matter of minutes! I gotta keep trying the bleat can. Are you running it long by turning it over? I usually blow into mine……cannot say I’ve got a response from the can. I’d like to get a different bleat call.
No...short beats with the can and the tube.
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago showing a buck, and a doe in heat...both grunting and bleating in front of my cam...I try to sound like them...mimick what they are doing

Waddams

I've tried calling. I know overall I'm doing something wrong but I never see bucks at all. Have tried blind calling sometimes but never had anyone come in to check. That's using different tubes, in the air, on the ground, etc. Have tried fine tuning my calling - every youtube vid and podcast I can find to learn it better. No luck.

Only time I can I say I think I managed to attract one in was using Code Red doe estrus. Put it out, got up the tree, and a buck came to the edge of a thicket, vitals behind some thick trees. Saw his butt, his nose, and his antlers but the rest of stayed obscured. He had his nose in the air and looked around, but not seeing a doe, he turned and vanished. Didn't come out enough for a shot opportunity.

Have tried Tinks and few other things, never had anything other that one Code Red experience seem to draw one in.

I'm not saying it doesn't work for others, I'm just saying I have to think I'm doing something wrong with any kind of attractant be it a call, scent, etc. Still riding the struggle bus to try to figure it out.

RipperIII

I've tried calling. I know overall I'm doing something wrong but I never see bucks at all. Have tried blind calling sometimes but never had anyone come in to check. That's using different tubes, in the air, on the ground, etc. Have tried fine tuning my calling - every youtube vid and podcast I can find to learn it better. No luck.

Only time I can I say I think I managed to attract one in was using Code Red doe estrus. Put it out, got up the tree, and a buck came to the edge of a thicket, vitals behind some thick trees. Saw his butt, his nose, and his antlers but the rest of stayed obscured. He had his nose in the air and looked around, but not seeing a doe, he turned and vanished. Didn't come out enough for a shot opportunity.

Have tried Tinks and few other things, never had anything other that one Code Red experience seem to draw one in.

I'm not saying it doesn't work for others, I'm just saying I have to think I'm doing something wrong with any kind of attractant be it a call, scent, etc. Still riding the struggle bus to try to figure it out.
Yesterday a.m. was spectacular, the action was fast and furious.. I was on the ground, stalking and sitting all morning.
Had a young buck bust out of the thicket behind me at 20 ft, never knew I was there, crossed the creek and kept moving. Saw 2 other bucks, all moving nose to the ground.
Shot at a hog with my .45 at about 25 ft...missed...got up and moved about 300yds downstream and sat down in some dead fall...3 to 5 minutes later here cone 3 does hightailing it toward me but across the creek.
The lead doe turns uphill and stops, blows a few times as the other doe look all around.. I thought she scented me or possibly saw me...so I gave out a couple of deep buck grunts to confuse her...I immediately caught movement to my left, turned and saw a real nice young buck turn tail and head downstream.

I got cocky with all the action and failed to look around before I grunted...

The younger buck was who the doe was blowing at...and when he heard my aggressive buck grunt, he turned tail and vacated the area...lesson learned.

rugerfan

I have had limited success calling. I had some deer bolt at the sound, I have had some that come into investigate only to not see what they were looking for then move on. I have stopped some deer with it. I had one big buck respond to my grunting multiple times from where I couldn't see him, he then circled around me to get my wind, he stayed completely out of sight, when he did catch my wind he just went silent and moved off. I called with a can call and a grunt call once, and had a decent buck come into that, I was able to kill that buck.

Years ago my dad bought some tinks 69 , he put it in a jar with cotton balls. He set it by a tree 40 yards from where I was sitting. I watched a small 4 point come into the jar, sniff it and just recoil away from it and got out of dodge in a hurry. Guessing he didn't like it.

psedna

UAEC
I sometimes call in does with the bleat can call, the small one now not larger can - especially real late season. I call less than I used to, but two years ago pulled in a ten pt to ten yards from tree with bleat call no grunt. Unfortunatley, he stopped at my scent trail behind a limb with me at full draw. missed him again two weeks later due to some issue that I still dont know what happened. Neighbor killed him last week of the season, and I have his sheds from the previous year which came off March 17 in sw ga in front of a cell cam on a feeder. At least I have the sheds, wasnt as big as I though from cell cam...

Attachments

• ten pt shed.jpg
    ten pt shed.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 13

Waddams

I have had limited success calling. I had some deer bolt at the sound, I have had some that come into investigate only to not see what they were looking for then move on. I have stopped some deer with it. I had one big buck respond to my grunting multiple times from where I couldn't see him, he then circled around me to get my wind, he stayed completely out of sight, when he did catch my wind he just went silent and moved off. I called with a can call and a grunt call once, and had a decent buck come into that, I was able to kill that buck.

Years ago my dad bought some tinks 69 , he put it in a jar with cotton balls. He set it by a tree 40 yards from where I was sitting. I watched a small 4 point come into the jar, sniff it and just recoil away from it and got out of dodge in a hurry. Guessing he didn't like it.

I've been researching scents - lots of stories of Tinks either being great or being a repellant. I guess if it's made from source materials of deer that aren't native to the area, sometimes it's so different from the normal doe smell that bucks pick up on it not being right and they bolt.

I'd guess if they can differentiate the scent to the point we all think they can, they might go check out a scent attractant, survive getting shot at, and be able to tell when they smell a commercial product vs. a natural doe in the area again and associate it with threat instead of a doe.

I might try Code Red again but I won't be spending more money on Tinks.

DustyRoads

Played a free App recording on my phone through a small bluetooth speaker/it works!!!
Mostly does came trotting-HA

westcobbdog

Jumped a batchelot group of bucks in the early light a few seasons ago, wading thru some head high grasses and slipped right up on them and the woods kinda exploded. I let out a blaaah with my mouth and nearly got charged by a young buck who circled back to challenge me at about 15 ft.

BmasterVol

Do you guys deer call all season? Anyone calling this late? Any success with that?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have been hunting a lot but no deer…..I’ll always use them just because of pas success.

kingfish

Few of the things I've learned about the bleat can is, I've had more success cupping my hands and blowing short soft notes through the little hole to project the sound out in front of me. The second thing is the more scrapes around the better. Third thing is thicker terrain is better. You want them to have to walk towards you looking rather than standing 100 yds away scanning open woods looking for what made the noise.