Do Feist and Curs Make Good Family Dogs

cddogfan1

So our family Lab of 13 year passed a moth or so ago. The kids and wife are now wanting a new family dog. I have always wanted to get a squirrel dog. Just wanted to know if they double up and make good pets too.

ucfireman

I know my rat terriers were great family dogs. Loved to cuddle but loved to play outside to.
I hear fiests are similar or same as rat terrier.

Mac

My son has a 10-month-old MT Cur, the smartest dog I have ever been around. I have owned three labs in the past.

Feists definitely do. Very loyal to the point of often being a one person or one family dog. Most of mine over the years couldn't be touched or approached by anyone not living under their roof. But not at all aggressive towards strangers though some have gotten a little bit crotchety in old age. Old dogs and small children might not be a good idea if youngsters don't listen.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
So our family Lab of 13 year passed a moth or so ago. The kids and wife are now wanting a new family dog. I have always wanted to get a squirrel dog. Just wanted to know if they double up and make good pets too.
I’ve had several Russell’s and Rat Terriers and mixes. I now have a Mountain Cur, they all have been great pets and squirrel dogs.

crackerdave

Yes!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fiests for sure. Never owned a cur.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Yes fiests make great loyal family dogs

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
feist make great family pets, and still can do a good job of finding some sqwerls

Wire Nut

Feist are awesome. I’ve had 2 and loved them. They’ll run and play all day and get in your lap too. Grittiest dogs I’ve ever hunted. God made them small because you couldn’t handle them if they were 60 lbs

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Feist are awesome. I’ve had 2 and loved them. They’ll run and play all day and get in your lap too. Grittiest dogs I’ve ever hunted. God made them small because you couldn’t handle them if they were 60 lbs
You ain't joking. They absolutely aren't scared of anything. All ours will grab a 200 lb plus pig in a min. Or bay a big boar bear! Screenshot_20210916-202135_Photos.jpg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Nah, fiest don’t acclimate well to family living. :ROFLMAO:
Our girl is about 13, owns the place and is definitely my wife’s dog.
She was raised by my mom as a pet and came to us after mom passed.

A37ED134-B9DA-4025-85FC-CEEAA9641BFF.jpegAB6637DA-3521-439D-B270-6E753AC28BE9.jpegF0AB9B38-F29E-4ABF-BE2C-91A2C0FF8A58.jpeg

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Weve had a Mtn. fiest for more than 10 years. She showed up as a stray. I didnt even know what breed she was. When she started treeing squirrels on her own. I figured it out. Shes just awesome.
Ours has never been a dog to play with toys or to rough house. Always more interested in what going on outside.
She dosent like to be held or sit in your lap. She does like to sit or lay right up against you.
I wouldnt hesitate to own another.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Do they shed?

If you look at the pic in the bandana she was just shaved for the summer. Makes the shedding tolerable.

Shaved a couple times a year is well worth the loyalty and intelligence.