Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay?

Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay.

• Total voters

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Seems to me that Flies are a natural part of the ecosystem too. Don't here anybody cryin about killin them. And I bet the folks against hog killin for protection of crops don't want them in their house either. As far as complaning about hogs and not allowing others to hunt. Check out the insurance issue if you own land and allow multiple folks to hunt. I don't own a bunch of land. I hunted on a tract that is owned by a friend. 200 acres joined by WMA. 8 hunters, averaged killing 6 hogs a year. Sighted as many as 35 in one field. They ate 11 acres of corn on year. You hunt them as often as you can, but mainly they are on WMA during the day and only come down at night. We spot lighted them and left them laying often. Some we ate, some we didn't. Call some folks that "want" meat, and they are too busy that day or, if you can go ahead and field dress it and cut it up "we'll take it"! Face a few years of that kinda crap and see how receptive you are to ethical hunting of hogs on private property. I believe in eat what you kill as much as any one. I just don't have any good recipes for flys!

Fish&Hunt

Game warden told me to kill everyone I see and to bring extra arrows. Buzzards, bears, and coyotes gotta eat too.

redlevel

First of all, I don't kill ANYTHING i'm not gonna eat.
Second of all, those of you who have hog problems and are seeing lots of numbers and shooting them to leave them lay....yall need to either let those of us who will eat them, come shoot them...or shut up about it. Whether its a hog or a deer with horns cutoff, leaving anything lay to rot is pathetic! Its makes you a killer and not a hunter.
And for those of you who have deer clubs, or family farms and don't allow any others to come hog hunt...Then SHUT UP ABOUT THE HOG PROBLEM!
I live in Lamar County, and whenever I hear the farmers around hear talking about hogs, I ask them to let me hunt and take a few for the freezer. When they say, they don't allow any hunting at all, I tell them the same thing---- SHUT UP AND QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE HOGS!.

You ain't never swatted a fly, stomped a roach, trapped a rat, or slapped a mosquito? I bet you have. I bet you didn't eat them.

I don't allow hunters I don't know on my property because I am tired of having my irrigation pipe run over, my gates left open, my calves shot, and my property just generally shown the disrespect that many non-landowning city hunters show.

Anyhow, hunting isn't the solution to the hog problem. The only way to control the numbers is to catch them in open areas and slaughter as many of them as you can shoot down before they can run to the woods. It doesn't even have a faint resemblance to hunting.

As I wrote somewhere earlier in this thread, or in one of the others that was running concurrently with this one, the most effective way to do it is to catch a couple of sows with their pigs in a field. If you start shooting pigs, the sows will run for the woods and the pigs will follow. The thing to do is shoot all the sows down. The pigs will not know where to go. You can then slaughter them at your leisure, almost.

If you are lucky, you can sometimes put down a dozen or more, ranging from 15 lbs to 300 lbs. It ain't hunting.

You need to get off your holier-than-thou soapbox until you know what you are talking about.

Derek Edge

I voted yes, simply for the farmers that have problems with them. I don't own land and I do love to hunt them. Though I wouldn't kill one and let it lay, I do support the right of the farmers to do so as they see fit. Not going to get too deep in the discussion, this is my opinion.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
yall just a buncha hog haters.......

Jaybird13

if any of you guys have problems with hogs, I have 3 buddies that love to eat pork chops!! send me a pm and we will work something out

biggtruxx

absolutley not!

if you kill it..... you should eat it!

unless its not to be eaten like snakes, possums, etc :bounce:

georgia_home

I personally wouldn't do this, but i also wouldn't attempt to pass judgment on anyone.

I would just like to maybe suggest that GON could be a good way to align those folks with a hog problem with some folks that are a) looking for a hunting opportunity or b) would eat the meat.

Maybe a monthly list, gon mag or here of the landowners and areas wanting to control the population... or maybe the donation program could be extended.

anyway, just an idea.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
our gooberment does it all the time.

contender*

I would just like to maybe suggest that GON could be a good way to align those folks with a hog problem with some folks that are a) looking for a hunting opportunity or b) would eat the meat.

Maybe a monthly list, gon mag or here of the landowners and areas wanting to control the population... or maybe the donation program could be extended.

anyway, just an idea.

I like this idea:cool::cool::cool:

skoaleric

not a bad attitude at all, just telling the truth. but i'm sure attitudes vary by region...up here, we can't just walk next door and hunt the neighbors property for hogs.
eric

muzzy

i kill about twenty five a year, a'int never gutted the first one, never will. dead ones are good bait for the ones that got away. if you see hogs and you have a gun, start slinging lead. there not a natural resource, only a competitor for native wildlife,,,, treat them with no morality...........

PWalls

I voted no. Mainly because I was raised to eat what you kill.

However, I have also seen the damage done by them and fully understand some situations that would arise that could cause you to leave it laying.

Was part of a shoot where we were directed to drive around some farmer's fields and shoot everyone we saw. Knew before we started that some of the first ones we shot would go bad before we got back to get them and skin them out. Some of them we just had to drag out because it was hot and we didn't want to risk anything. We did save some of them. but, the purpose of the hunt was eradication. That was our main focus. We saved what we could.

Derek Edge

yall just a buncha hog haters.......

No, not at all. I love to hunt hogs and love to eat pork. Here's my deal though. If a farmer is having trouble with pigs in his corn or beans, he has the right to dispose of them as he so wishes. If he wants to kill them and give them away, so be it, but then most people would rather you clean it for them and it becomes a hassle. We as hog hunters have places to hunt, so why is it wrong? Just because he will not let you hunt his land (insurance claims and destruction of property being the #1 and #2 reason) he is a bad person? Why should he keep loosing money on crop damage? Its his livelyhood, not yours. I just support the right of the FARMER! For you that say you were raised to eat what you kill, so was I. But what happens when this farmer kills 5 or 6 hogs every weekend and can't give them away? Most farmers don't care to eat the wild hogs. Why is it wrong for him to haul them off and leave them for the critters? He is protecting his investment. We have got to stop whining about this. You would think some of us belong to PETA. Face it, in most situations, these guys aren't gonig to give you permission to hunt and in the end that is what this whole thread is about. People whining about the killing of pigs on private land and you guys not being able to "pull the trigger" or "release the dogs". You can't have permission so just get over it...lol. BTW, I'm not a farmer or a landowner with hogs, but to say it's wrong is all but unconstitutional. ::ke: :cheers:

Shine Runner

Good gosh...gettin deep...here's my .02 to add to the stink:stir:....landowners/farmers I understand because I have worked those hayfields and row crops that hogs have been in.....they among other animals wreck havoc on some fields...hog hunters I understand the thrill and respect for the hog too....here's my point...access to hunting land is more about the $$ than anything else; I remember hunting a farm with no $$ invested but A LOT of blood, sweat, and labor and picking up others trash and helping that landowner/farmer maintain his and his family's investment...THOSE DAYS ARE GONE:mad:...I am only able to hunt WMA and other property's once in a while because of friends...:flag:I DO make sure gates are closed, roads are not messed up, trash is picked up when found, and keep an eye out for things the owner may want to know (pivots with problems).....HOGS are great table fare and should be eaten as much as deer because they don't have all the crap fed to slaughter house beef/pork/poultry.....WE DO HAVE the answer to the problem right here on this thread....WORK IT OUT among ourselves....Have a waiver signed, point the hunter/killer in the direction you want them, talk with the hunter/killer before they step on your property to make sure they are the type hunter/killer you want on your property and let the hunter/killer pay for their gas, bullets/arrows/dynamite (just kidding), processing, time to help you the landowner reduce the problem. The populations can be managed, maybe not eradicated, but definitely managed to better numbers than you currently have and feed some folks and other critters at the same time....nature is a funky thing.....nature finds ways to take the things we do and work around it....some benefit....some don't.....by the way...I voted yes because I don't believe anyone reading this thread will start to shoot a bunch of hogs and let them lay just because they see one because too many of us don't have the chance to see one!

GeoW

When was the last time a farmer gave you permission in GA to hunt for deer, bear or hogs on their property. I asked many and they all said that they leased their land out to hunters...so the all mighty dollar wins again while they themselves still gripe about the local wildlife...if you want to complain, invite hunters to your place and kill them all.

Why should I turn down the "all mighty dollar" to let you hunt my property for free?

g

Mark Thompson

Voted no

But then again, I enjoy hunting and eating them. Cannot speak for the farmers as I am not one.

Attachments

• trail cam 104.JPG
    trail cam 104.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 152