Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay?

Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay.

• Total voters

Doc_Holliday23

I don't like it, but if a landowner asks me to kill everyone I see, I will in thanks for him letting me hunt his property.

Drivus

:mad::banginghe This camera was overlooking a nice scrape last season underneath a live oak tree that was raining acorns! I got one picture of one deer in a week but I managed to capture 632 images of hogs during that same week. We killed about 20 last year and have already killed 13 this season. Don't preach to me about leaving hogs in the woods. I try to find people ahead of time who will take them, I get cell phone numbers to carry in my wallet but no one ever wants one on Thursday afternoon at 6:30pm unless you are willing to load it and drive it to the processor for them. Heck, I have field dressed the stinking things and rode them around town and couldn't get anyone to take them. I have learned that there are exceptions to any rule; even the one that says dont kill it if you don't intend to eat it. Try working for two solid weekends and spending about $500.00 or so on food plots that the deer NEVER get any benefit from, you would start killing every hog you could also! Whether you had someone who wanted them or not! Try walking a few miles in someone elses shoes before you are so quick to pass judgement on their ethics!

Attachments

• Mitchell Co 10- 07 051.jpg
    Mitchell Co 10- 07 051.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Mitchell Co 10- 07 077.jpg
    Mitchell Co 10- 07 077.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 143

the-deer-man

no you can kill ti and give it to somebody but don't just let it lay there you shouldnt kill anything you aren't going to eat

flyfisher76544

Nope, I eat what I shoot.
At the same time though, I understand were farmers and land owners have this issue.

A waiver might remedy this problem, I have hunted on other peoples land that required us to sign one before we hunted, that way they were not liable for any accidents or mishaps.

SouthGAHunter

I'm with Drivus on this one. I hunt the same property he does some. The hogs out there are absolutely horrible. This being said its a-okay with me to shoot hogs and leave them. You talk to any farmers around that area, and any others for that matter down south and they will tell you that hogs ruin crops. They multiply so rapidlly that it's almost impossible to keep the numbers down. And when you are killin them and trying to give them away, but nobody wants the stinkin things, I have no problem leaving em.

diamondback

I think that you should eat what you kill.Why dont those that say they cant give em away want to eat em?The meats great except for some of the big boars?Even if my freezer was full and I didnt have room ,I would clean them and then give the meat away just cause I would feel right just wasting it.I understand the crop damage thing and see damage in the woods but in my opinion thats still no excuse for waste.I dont know why we dont have a donation program in Ga for hogs like we do deer.I bet more people would be more willing to donate hogs than deer .There are shelters in most cities now that I am sure could use the meat and with the economy ,its only gonna get worse. Anybody within an hour of thomasville,wanting to give away a fresh killed hog under 200 lbs,pm me and I will give you my number.As long as I got freezer room I will come get em or meet halfway if I am not at work.

Allen Waters

ok.. all you folks that say you should eat what you kill have never hunted a piece of property over run and tore up by hogs!!
hogs are a nucience and destroy crops, food plots and cause errosion of creek and river bottoms.
how many folks eat coyote:bounce:
but i bet you would shoot one of them, or maybe it will take the coyote population getting large enough to hurt you trukey or deer population before you start eating them:rofl:
i am a very ethical hunter and do not take game unless i plan on using it.
however i will pose this offer to all that don't want to let hogs go to waste........
come January my club will be removing as many hogs as possible from our property. i will guess it will be in the hundreds...
pm me with your contact info if you are interested in getting some hogs for the meat or if you know of a way to donate this meat to needy families. it costs money and you have to be a licensed processor for hogs. there is a hunters for the hungry that takes deer but not hogs.
we can not use nor have a place for this amount of meat so i would like to see it not go to waste.
these hogs have to be removed, as they are way overpopulated and damaging farmers crops, our land, plots, and creek and river bottoms. they are eating all of the deer and turkeys food too:mad:
we already have the resources to remove the hogs, so just offers to help with the meat would be great. thanks Allen

Hammack

I think that you should eat what you kill.Why dont those that say they cant give em away want to eat em?The meats great except for some of the big boars?Even if my freezer was full and I didnt have room ,I would clean them and then give the meat away just cause I would feel right just wasting it.I understand the crop damage thing and see damage in the woods but in my opinion thats still no excuse for waste.I dont know why we dont have a donation program in Ga for hogs like we do deer.I bet more people would be more willing to donate hogs than deer .There are shelters in most cities now that I am sure could use the meat and with the economy ,its only gonna get worse. Anybody within an hour of thomasville,wanting to give away a fresh killed hog under 200 lbs,pm me and I will give you my number.As long as I got freezer room I will come get em or meet halfway if I am not at work.

The main reason most is not given away is because people only want it if it has already been processed at no cost to them. If I have to pay to have it processed I would be just as bad off to leave them and let them destroy the place, and lose the money that way. I'll tell ya what. Next time I kill 10 in one afternoon while they are destroying his crop, I'll be glad for someone to clean them all and give it away. One hog here or there is one thing. Massive numbers is a whole other situation...

diamondback

some of you that brought up yotes,what do you think happens to the hogs that you let lay.The yotes come from miles around to enjoy the free meals.then you have problems with yotes and hogs.For those that dont want to pay for processing,learn to do it yourself,thats what I do and it dont cost a thing.Now I have never been on private land that the land owner let get so out of hand that they are just over run with hogs but guess it happens.maybe trapping would be a better way to get rid of them.I know some people the used to trap and catch hogs that made good money selling them,especially the boars, to places charge to hunt them.after deer season you may could even charge for day hunts for hog and make enough to pay for the lease or food plots.

gigem

I am starting to kill does. WE will kill some hogs. But about 70 to75 deer, the deer is what is killing us. Where can i donate meat!

sgtstinky

Hogs do a lot of damage and are invasive. Like coyotes, if you need to control them then by all means do what you have to do. I'm not going to confuse senseless killing with nuisance animal control. With all that said, I try to do the right thing and if I can eat it then I will.

hunter0182

Well im like you ,i was raised to believe if you kill it,you eat it,but i have a long list of people wanting them if i kill them ,so its not a problem,i have killed several that were so big i had to cut them up to get them out of the woods on the 4 wheeler,some smelled so bad, i wanted to leave them,one said dnr had people just for killing hogs on the barrier islands,they need to let the hunters do that ,i have hunted the barriers many times,but my opinion no its not ethical,

rkwrichard

I was taught very early don't shoot it if you are not going to eat it. To kill for the sake of killing is just wrong. When I was 10 years old I took my 22 and killed a blackbird out in the field at my grandparents house. That day I learned a great lesson when I was made to retrieve dress, cook and eat the blackbird. Since that day I have never shot anything I did not intend to eat.

I know some people think it is ok to shoot something just for sport but I know it is not my way.

fireman1501

Just my 02, yes I think it is ethical as long as its far enough away as to not stink up a neighborhood. We actually have people working for the DNR who have full time jobs killing hogs on barrier islands. These animals destroy native animals such as sea turtles, gopher tortoise, Indigo and other snakes, the list goes on and on. They are not native and are completly useless as far as ecosystem health is concerned. On barrier islands they are the number 1 cause of seaturtle nest destruction. I know of wildlife agents that kill 20 or more in a day. Although some of these are dressed and eaten the majority of them are vulture and gator food. My personal opinion is to kill them all! They don't belong here! Again this is my opinion.
I kill everyone I can, young and old alike.

I agree man the hogs on the land i hunted was put there by someone else. they did not belong there and messed up the deer population eat up all the acorn crop. like a bunch of vultures.:shoot::shoot::shoot: