Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay?

Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay.

• Total voters

CaptKeith

This is a tough one for me. I am not one to shoot anything that I am not going to eat, but I can certainly see them being shot and left as a nuisance animal. I also think that if there were processors readily available for hogs they would more often be shot.

Whilst butchering one of the last feral hogs I killed, I discovered a white, flat, worm-like critter crawling out between two verterbrae in the young boar's spine. I've asked several vets about it since and not one could say what it was other than "some parasite"... Needless to say that carcass went directly to the county landfill and I'll never eat un-vaccinated pork again!
But after seeing the incredible damage done by them to farmer's crops, family member's vehicles, and to natural wildlife, I say shoot 'em all and let the buzzards n' yotes feast...

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
ABSOLUTELY.

Yes, and yes to any non native invasive doing damage. To include coyotes, armadillos and cats. Ethics don't come into play other than the ethical thing is to stop the damage by any means possible.

Stickemdeep

I might be a little jaded as I am from Texas and still have family and property there, they get shot and that is the final resting place unless its by the house. There are just too many to try and go pick them all up. When we were out in Jan killed 26 out of one group, its just not feasible to try and recover them

although I havent done it, I say no problem with it because I look at them the same way I do yotes or crows
i agree with you Jim. They are non native nasty land destroying critters that are out of control. With that said i trap and shoot em and throw em in the bury hole just like coyotes,coons,opposums, and foxes. Kill em all and save the turkey,quail and fawns ! They will thank you for your hard work

That’s right Bigearl
It’s funny how some folks on here act like it’s a shame or crime to just let em lay ! They must live in apartments or in a city ! But where i live it is all farming, chickens and pine trees and if you cant run a tractor over ground because them pigs tore it up so bad then you are loosing money ! These pigs are bad and these farmers dont need this kind of destruction especially now with prices thru the dam roof . if these people feel bad about lettin them lay i will call you and you come get all you want !!! And dont make an excuse that you are busy or have a kids game to go to ! I’ve heard it all !! So in the bury hole they go !

Last edited by a moderator:
Attended a hog conference some months ago and the GA State Veterinarian said in no uncertain terms…hogs are a threat for brucellosis which can spread to other wildlife as well as other diseases… this on top of being invasive …they all need to be eradicated.

You are correct Mr Pinus
I caught brucellosis years ago from cleaning them nasty things . I went 3 yrs without being diagnosed. It got inot my central nervous system and i was a freakin mess !! I was bent at a 90degree at the waistwhen i walked, i could not walk a straight line to save my life. I had chills, fevers, headaches. Diarhea, insomnia ,etc. i went to a South African Dr who finally diagnosed me with the proper lab tests. I spent 6 months with an IV in each arm for antibiotic treatment . I am now free of the disease but i still have major joint pain,headaches,i walk crooked,and i occaisonally want to fall over while standing or walking . I dont wish this on anybody !! It is a life changing disease!!!
The swine must go !!!!!

longrangedog

I read that a lot of the diseases and parasites they carry get passed on to the bears, coyotes, bobcats, etc. that eat them if they are left to rot. I caught 13 a few weeks ago and decided that the landfill was the proper way to dispose of them. Called the landfill and got the price- changed my mind.

I read that a lot of the diseases and parasites they carry get passed on to the bears, coyotes, bobcats, etc. that eat them if they are left to rot. I caught 13 a few weeks ago and decided that the landfill was the proper way to dispose of them. Called the landfill and got the price- changed my mind.
I don’t know about that but why did you call the landfill ? They are buzzard food !!!Maybe just scatter around the road ways instead of one big pile of em , not so obvious that way ,
They will be gone in a few days ! No harm no foul . plus if these states gave a crap about our natural resourses they would put a bounty on em and have disposal sites in areas that are bad with em . All these states care about is the bottom line ! MONEY!!!
We as hunters ,liscence holders ,farmers,club owners,fishers,the list goes on seems to be the only groups that are on the front lines of trying to controll these critters!!! Just look back into history about the war on rats in this country durring the times of war and early shipping days . The Feds have up and pulled assistance for rat control!! Now look rats are everywhere !!! done for now

Last edited by a moderator: