Do you spray weeds before you plant your fall plots, or let it ride?

CarolinaDawg

My sprayer died on me this year, so I had to plant with light disking only. It was the first weekend of October and after disking, there wasn’t much green. I don’t think weeds are going to be a problem in the winter anyway, but would like to know your experience if this ever happened to you or if you purposely skip spraying in the fall.

if using broadcast plowing I mow wait a couple weeks for things to green back up then spray wait another two weeks or so then plow. I plant when rain is imminent and fertilize at the same time. No earlier than end of sept .
For drilling as long as the weeds are two high spray couple weeks before planting then drill through it. If spraying can’t be done drill through the vegetation as long as it isn’t too tall of thick when there is moisture in the ground

Lilly001

I’m lazy, I guess.
I bush hog fairly short, then a couple to few days later I aggressively disc with a heavy 3 point disc (Brown).
Then I disc again with the front disc straight and the rear one setting from strait. This levels and breaks up clods.
Then I broadcast seed. Followed by another pas of the almost strait disc just to cover things.
I usually plant Coker oats with a sweet strip of peas in the center of each field.
I only have one plot that requires fertilizer, the remainder depend on how much $ I have to spend.
My fields look fine (to me) and more importantly the deer seem to like them. But I have no other agricultural in my area so they don’t know any better.
YMMV

Another option some use is the throw and then mow. Broadcast or whatever method you use . Then mow after wards. Works fairly good. Can disk over the top of that if you have that option

Bruiser

My sprayer died on me this year, so I had to plant with light disking only. It was the first weekend of October and after disking, there wasn’t much green. I don’t think weeds are going to be a problem in the winter anyway, but would like to know your experience if this ever happened to you or if you purposely skip spraying in the fall
The last few years I have cut my plots with the brush hog and then disked the plots without spraying. Each plot was green and attracted deer. Might not have been perfect but worked for my uses.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Most of mine are clover but when a plot fails or the weeds take over I have to do it all which means I got to start no later than mid July.