doe blow

Snookpimpin

back in October I was sitting in a oak stand that borders a 4 year old clear cut about an hour before dark I hear a doe blowing about 20 times on the same trail I came in on. now I have been busted before and usually you get 2 blows then maybe one more as they are running away. so dark comes I climb down and start my trek out and get to where the doe was and was greeted by a VERY fired up 5 foot rattlesnake. Has anyone else experienced deer blowing at snakes? or was this just a coincidence?

Sixes

Yep, we hunt a stand called rattlesnake because I had a timber rattler in a brush pile that when deer came close enough, it would start singing. The deer would blow and run off. It happened 3 times in the same afternoon and the stand earned it's name Rattlesnake

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
One stand I hunt has a skunk that lives in the vicinity. I have known of deer to blow at the skunk several times. So a rattlesnake would surely rate snorts.

godogs57

I've watched does kill rattlers before. They rise up on their hind legs, put their front hooves together and drive down on the snake, cutting it up. The exact same motion used when I've seen em bust watermelons. Never once have I seen a buck work a snake over like that.