Doe is in the cooler!

Jayin J

Had a light rain shower yesterday evening and I thought I should go sit in my stand for an afternoon hunt....Well, I got in the stand and looked up and saw this Doe and a Spike out in front about 75 yards in the woods next to the creek, I didn't have my face mask on or my camera in the tree holder yet....I didn't even have my shooting glove on...The deer were playful and came right up about 16 yards away....I'm trying to sit still but felt naked without my camo face mask. They looked around and sniffed continuously but the wind was in my face. At one point, the Doe decided to investigate the surroundings and walked around and behind me....She sniffed the wind and was a little jumpy but eventually came back out front by her boyfriend Spike. They browsed on the peas and corn but always had their heads towards me....I had decided to stay calm and just enjoy the little playful tag game they had going on....They continued to browse the vegetation and muscadines and finally the Spike blocked the view of the Doe. I put my glove and mask on as quietly as I could with success....I inched my may around on my seat and got my hips pointed in the right direction just waiting for the best timing to stand up....Finally the spike once again blocked the view of the Doe and I stood up and drawed my Big Jim TC.....I was ready to release at the aim small miss small spot when the Spikes butt blocked the heart of the Doe....The spike took a half step forward and this revealed the shot I was hoping for. I picked a spot and release. The shot was a little high but she was also really close to me....The shot was almost a spine shot but a more downward angle than a side shot.....When I released the arrow I saw it sink into her and she wasn't sure what happened and neither was I.....The Spike ran around and was anxious to see what the commotion was about....I had several opportunities to take him as well but was unsure If I would find this Doe as I kept telling myself that shot absolutely sucked Jason!!!.....I waited a few minutes and heard some loud crashing like a bulldozer at work....I felt my chances were increasing for the deer recovery....As I continued to wait a squirrel came down a close tree so I gave it shot, missed my a micro inch....The squirrel came back around the tree and I sailed one right into him but then he climbed the tree with my arrow....I watched my arrow go over every limb in that tree but this was God's way of making me sit tight for about 45 minutes.....I climbed down and went looking for blood. To my surprise I starting finding lots and lots of blood....I couldn't figure out why so much blood as I was walking....I then lost the blood trail and backtracked and went in three different directions with no luck....I took a knee and looked out in the grasses and ferns and decided to walk the most beat down trail slowly in full alert mode with arrow nocked and ready....I went maybe 20 yards and looked to my left and there she layed at rest....I couldn't believe it.....I found his deer? Yep, she was laying on the arrow entrance side so I rolled her over to find that my arrow was sunk to the fletching......I must have blinked or something when I shot as I didn't think I had all that penetration....I went back to the tree where the squirrel was and found my arrow under the tree....I immediately looked up and thanked God for this hunt and helping me find the Doe that really didn't even go 40 yards....What a hunt!!! I did learn two lessons on this hunt, Put my shooting glove and mask on before I get in the stand! I dressed her out and packed the meat in a cooler full of Ice....As for the squirrel, I guess mother nature had plans for him....

Attachments

• Doe #1 2018.jpg
    Doe #1 2018.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 83

AllAmerican

Congrats man! Happy you found her, in 40 yards can't beat that. Doe and a hog for you so far, having a good year!

Clipper

Thanks for sharing your exciting story. You played your cards right waiting for the right time to set up and shoot. That takes disciple. Congratulations on your first deer of the year.

dpoole

Congrat