Doe limit for hunting clubs

Deerhead

In the early 90’s the land owner canceled our lease. This land was in Butts Co and on the Okmulgee. Beautiful land and good deer. With some begging he let us lease 800ac in Monroe Co. The trees had just been row cut and deer were everywhere! For several years we shot everything brown! A couple of years we took over 30 deer. Well you know that can’t continue and it didn’t. One year we did not shoot any deer and it was not for the lack of trying. Just did not see any. Then the next we only shot one deer. We instituted a restriction on doe’s and eventually bucks too (6pt or better). After 5 years the deer herd started to rebound well. We actually took some respectful bucks and still restricted doe harvest.

We had issues with the land owner and then moved to a new property. This land had old growth trees and sure was a beautiful property. Some of the biggest trees I have seen. Our first year on the new land we did not see many deer. We did take 3 really good bucks! We instituted no doe and 8pt or better. The land was clear cut and replanted over 5 years. We hunted this land for 15 years and had a good population. Trees were getting 10 ft high and good browse. Then like so many others the owners sold the land.

I am now on a great property with a land owner who takes great care of his land and restrict doe and buck harvest. We also have aprox 100 ac per member. I guess you could say this is a QDM club with a great deer population.

One thing I have noticed is deer do really well after the land has been cut and replanted. The land has great cover, browse and supplemental food (food plots, feed, mineral sites and a good water source).