Doeless December

madsam

I am not a Biologist or even a serious deer hunter.I
hunt for the meat and to share time with my family.
What is the reasoning behind cutting the doe days
out for December?

Blisterapine

I don't understand it, it seems to me if you wanted to protect the does during the rut you'd leave them protected until the end. I suppose it helps at least saving thousands of does in December and only some will be killed January. Should have closed it middle of Dec until the end.

gsp754

Banned
All I do is bow hunt now days so it doesn't bother me. But I remember back when we always had December doe days starting right after Christmas. I actually killed my first deer on the 1st doe day after Christmas, I was young. I kind of like the fact we have doe days again. It makes the doe mean more, when you can kill them all season long people don't appreciate a doe as much.

CRIMINOLES

I'm kind of like blisterapine ! I think after dec 1 ever year let that be it till next year !! Just my opinion ! But poachers are going to poach no matter what u do ! Rules just keep a honest man honest anyway !!

bhdawgs

Primarily it had to do with concerns from hunters like us the deer population has been declining... Coyotes mainly are to blame.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
After the rut does will often group up and hit the green fields hard. I used to see 20+ on a farm I hunt.
This makes them easy pickings for a rifle.

Randy

I bow hunt so it does not affect me.

GA DAWG

I gun hunt. Something I can actually kill one with. It don't affect me either.

CowetaLonghorn

Good article. It's a known fact that if you harvest more bucks than does, the overall population will increase. If you harvest more does than bucks, the population decreases. If you harvest equal numbers, your population stabilizes. The University of Missouri did a great study on this and it's effects on managing your property.

Everything I've read is that deer sightings and populations were down. The re-institution of doe days should increase numbers and sightings by default in the coming years.

mauser64

I bow hunt so it does not affect me.

Why does it not affect you? Are we allowed to shoot a doe with archery gear during this December "break" but not with a rifle?

mudram99

Yuup

Why does it not affect you? Are we allowed to shoot a doe with archery gear during this December "break" but not with a rifle?

Bow hunters are allowed to take does through out the full season. I have several friends who never bow hunted before that are now taking up the bow just to be able to shoot does. :cry:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Rifle season should end Nov. 31st every year! Then you would see more deer in a few years.

msgreen

I also heard that if you were under twelve you could kill does all year , cannot seem to find in the regs .

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am not a Biologist or even a serious deer hunter.I
hunt for the meat and to share time with my family.
What is the reasoning behind cutting the doe days
out for December?

Because those who make the recomendations for setting the seasons and limits read GON.......... we whine every year about the deer are gone. ;)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Link to the regs book is posted here every year ;)