Does anyone have any thoughts on the 350 "Legend"?

Mattval

• Good or bad I would like to hear it.
  • To me it seems to be like the 357 Max. (Man I would love to have a 357 Max)
  • A lot of manufacutuers are making rifles for it.
  • Ammo seems cheap.
  • Seems like a goo 200 yard cartridge.
  • Low recoil
  • I Hate the name "Legend" At this point in time we should rename the 30-06 Springfield Legend or the 30-30 Win Legend or Hey the 556 Legend. These are true legends.
I would put it on my "maybe" list as a fun gun maybe.
I saw someone is making one in an AR pistol with a 10" barrel. Good for home defense? maybe. May over penetrate.

It is late at night(or is it early in the morning?) and I feel like I am just rambling.

Mattval

It is way down on my list of guns to buy. right now I am looking for Muzzleloading shotgun for turkeys.

Gator89

The 350 legend is great for folks that hunt in states that put tight restrictions on the center fire rifles you can hunt with, such as Iowa.

For those of us in free states, it is a novelty.

Nothing wrong with having a few novelties in your assortment.

If you want one, get one. Post pictures of the gun for us to see and give us a range report.

I agree with what was said above. As with the .450BM, a lot of the usefulness and lure of the cartridge is from certain locales and their restrictive regs.

A second "practical" use is, IMO, for someone needing a low recoil round capable to moderate ranges. I think it's a good choice in a short bolt gun for a new hunter. Larger caliber/hole, but similar recoil (even less?) than a .243.

Reactions: Dub

transfixer

I've been kinda experimenting with different calibers in the AR platform the last couple years, .458socom for instance, a lot of power, expensive ammo, even if you reload, .300bo 16 inch was extremely accurate, fairly cheap to reload, brass is readily available or can be made, but only 16in barrels available are heavy barrels usually, which makes the rifle almost as heavy as an AR10, got rid of that one, built a 10.5in .300bo, in a pistol, absolutely love it for plinking and short range hunting, just ordered a 7.62x39 barrel, I'll play with and possibly keep for hunting, surplus plinking ammo is very cheap, good hunting ammo readily available, decent ballistics. next will be a short barreled .450bm, just because I think it will be fun to shoot, and more than enough power for anything in Ga, pretty respectable ballistics for a 250gr bullet.

I have no interest in the .350 legend for a couple reasons, one being Winchester is exaggerating the ballistics of that round, bullet selection is rather limited, as the velocity is a little higher than what normal pistol bullets are designed for, so they have had to design new projectiles, I doubt the velocities would be very good on short barrels, but I haven't looked to see what powders they're using yet. I see no benefit in the round for us here in the south, If i were restricted to straight walled cartridges as they are in a couple places up north, then if I wanted a low recoil cartridge for short range hunting,, yes I'd get one, basically anything it does, something else does better, I'd much rather have a 30-30 , or .243 for deer hunting in Ga, I think Winchester just felt they needed to come out with something new, and found a niche market to sell to, as in those hunters up north that are restricted.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well, I have jumped in the .350 with both feet for a couple of reasons. At one time or other I have had and used just about every rifle caliber imaginable. Take your pick.

Finally decided a few years back that I would settle in on the normal stuff. 308, 3006, 3030, 444, 44 mag, and be done with it.

Read about the 350, and was interested. Excited even. Here is the perfect round for an up and coming pair of grand boys to learn on. We are a few years from that, but I couldn't wait to get my paws on a Savage Axis youth model to play with. I'm a smaller guy, and rather enjoy a compact rifle in a Summit Viper. I decided to use the thing as issued with crap mounts and a cheap scope for less than $300.

All I can say is the thing is a hoot to shoot. Virtually no recoil, zero blast, comparatively quiet, and shoots like a house on fire. All with a 180gr soft point that will surely do a fine job on critters out to maybe a buck fifty.

Couldn't help myself, and ordered a BCA complete AR upper for only 239$. An even bigger hoot, and now I will actually deer and pig hunt with an AR...a weapon I've owned for 40 years, but never hunted with because I was raised to think that 223 is marginal at best for hunting, and I'm too old to argue the point.

So here's the payoff...If you think you don't want a 350, do NOT try one.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Tried to upload a target photo, says it's too big, but that's incorrect. 4 touching and one real close is NOT too big, shot at 100 off my rickety picnic table and a range bag in the back yard.

Both the Savage and BCA upper do equally well ....

Guess I'm a 350 fan.

transfixer

Well, I have jumped in the .350 with both feet for a couple of reasons. At one time or other I have had and used just about every rifle caliber imaginable. Take your pick.

Finally decided a few years back that I would settle in on the normal stuff. 308, 3006, 3030, 444, 44 mag, and be done with it.

Read about the 350, and was interested. Excited even. Here is the perfect round for an up and coming pair of grand boys to learn on. We are a few years from that, but I couldn't wait to get my paws on a Savage Axis youth model to play with. I'm a smaller guy, and rather enjoy a compact rifle in a Summit Viper. I decided to use the thing as issued with crap mounts and a cheap scope for less than $300.

All I can say is the thing is a hoot to shoot. Virtually no recoil, zero blast, comparatively quiet, and shoots like a house on fire. All with a 180gr soft point that will surely do a fine job on critters out to maybe a buck fifty.

Couldn't help myself, and ordered a BCA complete AR upper for only 239$. An even bigger hoot, and now I will actually deer and pig hunt with an AR...a weapon I've owned for 40 years, but never hunted with because I was raised to think that 223 is marginal at best for hunting, and I'm too old to argue the point.

So here's the payoff...If you think you don't want a 350, do NOT try one.

I can see the 350 legend being a good round for young hunters, or someone wanting something with little recoil, ballistically its better than my .300bo for hunting, but the .300 is cheaper for me to reload for, and as I mentioned I have other calibers that can do what the 350 does, but if I had a young hunter starting out I would consider it as a decent choice to get them started, I wish we had more young hunters coming into our passion !

buckpasser

I have nothing against the Legend. The reason I’m out is that I don’t see any need that isn’t being met by something else I already own. My .300 blk AR serves as a deer killing youth gun, and it’s a little too similar to want to upgrade with the popularity and availability of ammo being what it is. I have a .243 bolt gun for the kids, predators, etc. I don’t hunt any states that require a straight wall.

If I didn’t own the Blackout I’d consider one in AR. I’m trying to talk myself out of a .450 BM now.

Buckman18

I find it sort of intriguing for my daughter, who is 12. When she fires on a critter, I think a .35 cal hole would leave a better blood trail than a .243 sized hole. But... I don't feel motivated to go buy one at the moment, because I have a Marlin 35rem she can use and get the same result.

Mattval

I have nothing against the Legend. The reason I’m out is that I don’t see any need that isn’t being met by something else I already own. My .300 blk AR serves as a deer killing youth gun, and it’s a little too similar to want to upgrade with the popularity and availability of ammo being what it is. I have a .243 bolt gun for the kids, predators, etc. I don’t hunt any states that require a straight wall.

If I didn’t own the Blackout I’d consider one in AR. I’m trying to talk myself out of a .450 BM now.
Buckpasser I officially give you permission to get that 450 BM!

Mattval

I find it sort of intriguing for my daughter, who is 12. When she fires on a critter, I think a .35 cal hole would leave a better blood trail than a .243 sized hole. But... I don't feel motivated to go buy one at the moment, because I have a Marlin 35rem she can use and get the same result.
Buckman I think the 35 Rem is way better ballistically.

Mattval

I cannot believe all of the gun manufacturers that are loading for this new cartridge. Its weird. It has happened faster than with the 6.5 Creedmore bandwagon.

biggdogg

I want one in a Winchester XPR, but have yet to see them in stock.

leoparddog

I have one in a AR that I built with an upper from GLFC. Mostly as a novelty but if I ever get to go on a hog hunt I'll probably carry it. I'm loading cast bullets in mine - another reason I was interested in it. Velocities are reasonable for 180 to 200gr lead bullets. I always wanted something larger than 5.56 in an AR15 platform that was reasonably affordable to shoot and this fit the bill.

I think the low recoil claim is a stretch, at least in the AR with 180-200gr bullets. I'm sure it would be less in a bolt action with lighter bullets.

Mattval

And as soon as Henry does a Short Ranger carbine, or Browning does the BLR in a 350, I'll be buying another one...Kinda hope it's Henry, since I don't have one.
Do you have a BLR in 358 Win? I need one of those

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
My BLRs a .308..

I'm all done trying to feed/find oddball ammo. Bought a 376 Steyr, and never could find ammo...And don't care nothing about reloading.

Kinda taking a chance with the 350, it could wind up being a one hit wonder, but I'm hoarding accordingly while ammo is cheap and easy to find.

Last edited:

Powerline

I like my .350 legend it’s been perfect for a truck or side by side gun.... Ruger American Ranch rifle likes the 150 deer season XP’s and the 170 grain American whitetail

Attachments

• FCECA63C-2A50-4416-81B0-50747106963F.jpeg
    FCECA63C-2A50-4416-81B0-50747106963F.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 17
  • FC27FF6B-23FA-45DC-8FDB-F393B029C32F.jpeg
    FC27FF6B-23FA-45DC-8FDB-F393B029C32F.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 18

transfixer

For you guys that are interested in the 350 legend, I just noticed BearCreekArsenal seems to be expanding their complete upper offerings for that caliber, they've got multiple ones listed at some good prices.