Does anyone know the true story on this buck ??

280 Man

Banned
Now that is an awesome “add” to this story.

So many people willing to look down their noses on a “high fence” buck.....

With all due respect what has anyone accomplished by showing up and shelling out 25 to 30 thousand dollars to hunt a penned deer! Is it fair chase! To some maybe, but to each their own I suppose!

Jim Boyd

With all due respect what has anyone accomplished by showing up and shelling out 25 to 30 thousand dollars to hunt a penned deer! Is it fair chase! To some maybe, but to each their own I suppose!

If I read it correctly, this deer was reported to be a fair chase deer AND taken on public ground.

That was my point, many folks just jumped to the conclusion that it just HAD to be a high fence deer.

I would personally have zero interest in a high fence deer, I don’t even have any interest in a guided deer hunt. I do my hunting, even in the Midwest, by finding farms and then hunting them myself.

280 Man

Banned
If I read it correctly, this deer was reported to be a fair chase deer AND taken on public ground.

That was my point, many folks just jumped to the conclusion that it just HAD to be a high fence deer.

I would personally have zero interest in a high fence deer, I don’t even have any interest in a guided deer hunt. I do my hunting, even in the Midwest, by finding farms and then hunting them myself.

I wasn't trying to alienate you in any way. Maybe I should have prefaced my post with a "if this deer was farmed and or fenced".

Bigbendgyrene

Couple of facebook pages show the photo, and to BorntoHuntandFish's reply, one included the second picture of a second freak trophy posed in the exact same location.

One post references it being taken in Lousiana and another says Alabama. The one referencing Alabama said it was taken from Hackleburg Alabama on a 150 acre farm.

Interestingly, when in the comment section of one of the posts someone claimed the buck to be from Texas and others said the photo(s) had been photoshopped a female named Kristen Dollar Martin from Killen, Alabama, chimed in and without explanation merely said "It wasn't killed in Texas" and then shared an additional couple of photos to show it was real. She didn't answer any follow-up questions folks posed to her. Worth noting, Killen is about 45 minutes from Hackleburg.

Never high fenced hunted myself and not passing judgement on whether it's right or wrong, but if I were a betting man I'd sure lean to it being from a high-fence farm somewhere around Hackleburg / Killen, Alabama...

51424854_10101261506624245_6141153993138634752_n.jpg

50920357_10101257691879025_5097272568486821888_n.jpg

Stickers

Wish someone could find a name of the hunter and then it would be easy to see if it’s listed in B&C

Bigbendgyrene

As for getting the entire story, bet if anyone messages Kristen Dollar Martin from Killen, Alabama, on Facebook, tells her that they're a rich private businessman living in Atlanta who loves to hunt and has a wad of money burning a hole in their pocket, she might share details on "the farm" and put all the debate to rest.

buckpasser

The post about the man being from Helen and killing the deer in the CNF was said tongue in cheek Mr Jim. It’s still a pretty safe bet that both bucks were killed in a high fence enclosure. I’ll go a step further and predict it was a very small one at that.

And to those of you who have no problem with it, I get what you’re saying, but just know these operations (that benefit a very small crowd) are the primary transporters of the CWD that’s soon to come to a real deer near you.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I didn't even notice the horns. It's daddy had to be E.T. Or a giraffe. Neck looks like a slinky.

Jim Boyd

The post about the man being from Helen and killing the deer in the CNF was said tongue in cheek Mr Jim. It’s still a pretty safe bet that both bucks were killed in a high fence enclosure. I’ll go a step further and predict it was a very small one at that.

Gotcha!

I think you guys are narrowing down the evidence now.

If a high fence deer, and I now think you guys are correct, yes it cost the hunter a giant wad!

six

The binoculars are needed so you can read the price tags in the ear.

I really have no idea on the story of either deer. If they are natural, I saw WOW! If they were grown and manipulated, I still say wow.

Bigbendgyrene

Ok... mystery somewhat solved.

Reading through Facebook comments on one of the posts, Kristen Dollar Martin clearly states multiple times that it is her father who shot the deer. After bit of google work, I suspect his name is Tony Dollar and the family business is cotton gin equipment.

Trophy hunting appears to be a family passion. What I can't say is what high fence farm produced the buck... few people talked about several in Alabama in the thread and though she told all they were wrong she never once claimed it to be free range / never debated it being high fence.

Doesn't look like spending $ on trophies is an issue. That said, all the time I'm spending chasing the rabbit down the rabbit hole.

54257019_440150420060960_6075383453832970240_o.jpg

Last edited: