Does Stetson Bennett deserve to be in the HOF?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I like the guy so I won’t argue, hopeless in this crowd anyways and I get it.

His stats are better than some of the QB's already in the HoF. If that doesn't qualify him then the whole idea is dumb.

Hunter922

100% Honest.. Not the biggest Stetson fan, he made me nervous in games where nobody should have been nervous that roots for The Dawgs. He made throws and decisions during the seasons that made you say "" What the ....""
. on that note.
He absolutely should be in the college HOF.. Big game Baller with stats not many have. Seen many a so called All Americans that couldn't hold his jock..

Tight Lines

By the way, this isn't a new argument...one of my favorite QBs of all time, Joe Montana, who won 4 Super Bowls - 100% of those he played in - is also not eligible due to the All-American criteria. As Montana has gotten older, this argument has come around more than once that the rule should be changed...if him, Brees, and Manning didn't cause a change, you can just about be certain that Bennett isn't going to be the reason for change...

Not saying it is right, just making an observation...

Resica

By the way, this isn't a new argument...one of my favorite QBs of all time, Joe Montana, who won 4 Super Bowls - 100% of those he played in - is also not eligible due to the All-American criteria. As Montana has gotten older, this argument has come around more than once that the rule should be changed...if him, Brees, and Manning didn't cause a change, you can just about be certain that Bennett isn't going to be the reason for change...

Without looking it up, I think Joe had 25 touchdowns and 25 interceptions at Notre Dame.

Tight Lines

Without looking it up, I think Joe had 25 touchdowns and 25 interceptions at Notre Dame.
Definitely didn't have the same last two years as Bennett, no question. Just making an observation that this isn't a new argument for QBs that didn't make the All-American grade that are not in the CFBHOF. There are a number of All-American QBs who are not in the CFBHOF as well...

MudDucker

Staff member
If college sports is about anything armature anymore, then yes, he absolutely should be in the HOF. His is a story for the ages!

Stetson has been beat up on and treated badly by allot of folks many are Georgia fans. I think he did a great job. You want to see a profile in leadership. He is your man. He stuck in when most would have said why should I put up with this Bull. He was loyal and he work very very hard to over come any of his personal short comings which are few. Stetson is the man.

BamaGeorgialine

He absolutely deserves a chance to be voted on for the CFHOF. I don’t care what changes or exceptions they have to make to do so. They lower physical requirements for females in the military, law enforcement, and fire departments. They make exceptions for minorities on college entrance requirements and allow them to jump those more qualified. The CFHOF requirements weren’t expecting a former walk-on to lead a team to back to back NCs while posting those kind of numbers……including a 4th quarter, come from behind playoff victory.
If they keep him out, it will add to the drama of the movie they make about him.
I don't dislike Bennett, but don't you think that a lot of what's wrong with the world we're living in today is because some of the standards being lowered?

bullgator

I don't dislike Bennett, but don't you think that a lot of what's wrong with the world we're living in today is because some of the standards being lowered?
Oh, for sure. I’m not for lowering the standards as much as I am for getting rid of the ridiculous ones that keep deserving players out. We have guys that are eligible that 10 years from now we couldn’t even remember. But an Eli Manning can’t be considered? Since the rules were made prior to the playoffs or even BCS era, how about we add ‘a player who played in a championship game’ as a qualifying criteria?…or ‘set records’ or ‘contributed above and beyond’. It just seems like some that are qualified are less deserving than some that aren’t. Fifty or 100 years from now, those touring the CFHOF should be able to learn of the SB story.

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Which is why the HoF is bogus. Unless you're a member of the "special club" you don't get in no matter how good you turned out to be.

Tight Lines

Which is why the HoF is bogus. Unless you're a member of the "special club" you don't get in no matter how good you turned out to be.
I don't know if I would call it a special club as much as it's a very narrow and outdated criteria...but like all of these types of organizations, ones where someone else decides your place in them, they are political and closed...the best athletes who play for the love of the game could probably not care less if they are in them...the fans care way more...just like this thread...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I don't know if I would call it a special club as much as it's a very narrow and outdated criteria...but like all of these types of organizations, ones where someone else decides your place in them, they are political and closed...the best athletes who play for the love to the game could probably not care less if they are in them...the fans care way more...just like this thread...

I'm a CPA. I have very little room for "subjective" judgements. They turn out to be RONG! most of the time. Throw in "special clubs" and you will always get an "Adverse Opinion" from me.

Tight Lines

I'm a CPA. I have very little room for "subjective" judgements. They turn out to be RONG! most of the time. Throw in "special clubs" and you will always get an "Adverse Opinion" from me.
I understand...there are a lot of these clubs in life that I'll never be a part of...

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
HOF or Heisman are both equally bogus honors! This is because they are not actually representative of
on-field effort but they are someone’s opinion of on field effort.

I can’t think of anything more bogus in sports!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

bullgator

HOF or Heisman are both equally bogus honors! This is because they are not actually representative of
on-field effort but they are someone’s opinion of on field effort.

I can’t think of anything more bogus in sports!
The Heisman is supposed to be an individual award. Unfortunately most of those receiving it or even consideration do so because they have a great team around them. That team makes average players look great.
Jalen Hurts looked great at Bama, but as soon as he got injured, he couldn’t win the position back on his own team.