Does the DNR even care?

Otisman

Years ago I had a deer ready to pick up from processor. Decided to hunt the morning hoping to take a doe for meat. Didn’t see anything. Picked my deer up and noticed all that had been brought in were bucks. Owners young daughter (maybe 8) was talking to me. I asked her why no doe? She said it wasn’t a doe day. I had no idea and would’ve brought one given the opportunity. I asked her what would’ve happened if I had brought a doe. She said “once you get them skinned out, they all look the same”. Processors are in business to make money. And today, not many are gonna turn it away.

FlipKing

I think some of it is up to us to self regulate. Don't allow it in our clubs. Report infractions. I mean we've all made mistakes as sometimes hunting requires quick judgement, but people purposely breaking the rules is an entirely different thing.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve seen two game wardens in the field working in all my years in GA.
Couple of them running a drunk check coming out of a float river I was fishing.
I’ll never forget asking did they want to see my fishing license and they laughed.
Thats my view of GA DNR.

Swamper72

the problem is a few years ago the DNR made it's people choose to work either the law enforcement or the land/game management side instead of having them do both. have you noticed some DNR people who no longer carry weapons ? or noticed their trucks even some have just DNR emblems and a few have LAW ENFORCEMENT ? there's the problem
Let’s try about ten years ago this management shift was made by DNR. Same problems exist… manpower and funding. Not enough funding for more Game Wardens and not enough qualified people to fill the openings.

This is a complicated issue that has been hashed out many times. Simply put, a person either manages their PFA, WMA, State Park or enforces the law as a State Game Warden. Doing “management” and law enforcement creates issues with too many people working for multiple bosses, each with their own visions in mind.

transfixer

With the amount of either sex days they have in the counties that are hunted the most throughout the piedmont region, and the amount of tags we still have ,, even though now the DNR is in charge of bag limits,, I honestly think they could care less how many deer are killed ,,, it appears they would like them severely cut back,

but don't mess with their turkeys ! season before this past one there were 3 game wardens on a 2 mile long dirt road leading into our lease, pulling over and checking every person that looked like they were hunting, and waiting on others at their truck till they came out of the woods .

but won't show up when you report an illegal deer kill,,,,,

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Glad I don't have that problem in my club. I have a great group of about 11 folks including women. And I keep an eye on everything and have seen nothing I don't approve of within my group. But across the property line, I have no control and know some farms wish all the deer and hogs were killed.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Glad I don't have that problem in my club. I have a great group of about 11 folks including women. And I keep an eye on everything and have seen nothing I don't approve of within my group. But across the property line, I have no control and know some farms wish all the deer and hogs were killed.
I go by one peanut farming area and I hardly ever see a deer track in the road there. No hog sign either. No deer stands cause they ain’t no deer.
They done eradicated that area.

Latest posts