Doesn’t matter how you camp...

Head East

Just get there! These folks have all they need! AC works, soft bed, grill and a view. The view from this site is awesome. It even has a dock for the boat and to fish from.

We have camped at this site numerous times this year. Chose to try the site next to it and are really happy with the view.
F31BC1BB-2670-4F49-9EDD-FFE671EC314F.jpeg

Head East

For real? Free? By the beach area?

SBM dont do primitive anymore. ?.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
There are a couple of sites at Petersburg that we rate tops for a local outing.

Head East

Thanks! Axed SBM about the site you referred to as we were sitting here last night. She said yeah, right down there on the point. ?

She knows this lake like the back of here hand.

Head East

There are a couple of sites at Petersburg that we rate tops for a local outing.

Curious, which sites are on your list? The one pictured above is 61. We have stayed here alot and like the site. We have stayed at a few of the sunrise sites, but prefer the sunset side. There are some great sites out on the point, 48-51, that have a great view, but there isnt a lot of privacy between them.

This site has a great view.

Attachments

• 7B360DE7-79E0-41DB-B2BE-A96C0E323354.jpeg
    7B360DE7-79E0-41DB-B2BE-A96C0E323354.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 660DAFB2-5AA1-4369-A7F5-98CDB15ED639.jpeg
    660DAFB2-5AA1-4369-A7F5-98CDB15ED639.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 10

Artfuldodger

Yes. The sites at the end of the horse trail far out on the point are primitive, first come first serve, and free. Look for the picknic tables and small wooden shelter. Great place to ride the boat to and tent camp.
My daughter and I have hiked in and camped there before. We thought about boating in. Where did you park or leave your vehicle? I was thinking about Ridge Road Campground boat ramp but didn't know if you could leave your vehicle there for a few nights.

File0030.jpg

greg_n_clayton

Just get there! These folks have all they need! AC works, soft bed, grill and a view. The view from this site is awesome. It even has a dock for the boat and to fish from.

We have camped at this site numerous times this year. Chose to try the site next to it and are really happy with the view.
View attachment 1026694
I have had something along this line on my mind for a while ! Where I like to go you wouldn't want to take a "nice" camper !

My daughter and I have hiked in and camped there before. We thought about boating in. Where did you park or leave your vehicle? I was thinking about Ridge Road Campground boat ramp but didn't know if you could leave your vehicle there for a few nights.

File0030.jpg
Thats the spot! We park at the Bussy Point trail head and use the ramp there.

Artfuldodger

We just discovered Hester's Ferry in Lincoln County. It's a county park now. It's a little farther from Augusta and on the more narrow part of the lake. They have a primitive loop and a electric/water loop. $27.50 on that side. Is that about normal? Got to pick a few good spots out of the bad ones though. I just looked at a couple of choice sites that seem to have good availability in August. Probably because it's farther from Augusta and Thompson.
The host was nice last year when we went. We met a man from Kentucky that said it was his favorite Bass spot on the whole lake.

There is a Dollar General in Tignall. I guess the nearest Walmart would be in Elberton. We also rode up to Calhoun Falls SP which looked nice as well.

Our favorite on Clark's Hill was Winfield near Thomson when our kids were little. We always preferred the Army Corp Parks.

Artfuldodger

Thats the spot! We park at the Bussy Point trail head and use the ramp there.
We actually chose the other loop out on the point when we hiked in because it had a hand water pump but no shelter. That shelter would be nice and that point has a better view.
In hind site the pump water never cleared up and tasted metallic. Since we had to filter it, we'd have probably done better to drink filtered lake water.
Of course in a boat, you can bring your own water and ice. Ice would be nice. lol. Free is really nice too.

Interesting as well is those campsites out on those two points look like regular Army Corp campsites with the treated lumber borders, picnic tables, fire ring, and I think a fish cleaning table and lantern pole.

It's right where the Savannah River and the Little River come together, so your view is looking towards the dam with the most open water view on the lake.