Dog/Bear Hunt Timing

jbogg

https://georgiawildlife.com/regulations/meetings

I am not a Dog hunter, but I completely understand and support the importance of the Dog/Bear Hunt as a management tool. I do have a big problem with the timing of the hunt. Bowhunting bears on Chattahoochee and Chestatee WMAs has been reduced to essentially one week before the rifle hunters roll in, followed immediately by dog hunters. Everyone I have spoken with agrees there would be no downside to the dog hunters by moving the dog hunt back a few weeks. In fact cooler temps would be easier on dogs and hunters alike, and would likely result in more bears on the ground.

Please consider opening the link above and sending an email requesting the dog hunt to be rescheduled. Public comments will be accepted until January 22nd. You boys over on the Cohutta side of the mountains may feel like this doesn’t affect you, but the dog hunt is likely here to stay, and You’re likely to find a dog/bear hunt in your neck of the woods before to long.

There are no longer many of us who hunt these mountains. Every voice counts, and your help is appreciated.

Last edited:

jbogg

I'll be attending the public meeting in Calhoun tonight. This year you had to pre-register due to limited seating because of covid. Only 25 seats were available. May get some insight on the next 2 year plan.

I’m glad you are able to attend in person. I will be going tomorrow night to the meeting in Jefferson.

NCMTNHunter

I haven't thought about it until just now but I would think if this season was pushed back until bear season is open in TN and NC it would really help GA residents odds of drawing this hunt. I know if I were still raising bear dogs and I had an opportunity to go down there and hunt a few weeks before my home season opened I would be all over it. If that hunt was during my home season I doubt I would even consider it.

I am afraid if the goal is to stabilize or reduce bear numbers bow season is still going to take the hit no matter when the dog season is. I wonder if there would be any room for consideration for tacking on an extra week of bow season at the beginning? If the goal is to reduce bear numbers anyways it isn't going to hurt. I would be surprised if there are enough bow kills in a week to matter much anyways.

Just an outsider looking in.

jbogg

I haven't thought about it until just now but I would think if this season was pushed back until bear season is open in TN and NC it would really help GA residents odds of drawing this hunt. I know if I were still raising bear dogs and I had an opportunity to go down there and hunt a few weeks before my home season opened I would be all over it. If that hunt was during my home season I doubt I would even consider it.

I am afraid if the goal is to stabilize or reduce bear numbers bow season is still going to take the hit no matter when the dog season is. I wonder if there would be any room for consideration for tacking on an extra week of bow season at the beginning? If the goal is to reduce bear numbers anyways it isn't going to hurt. I would be surprised if there are enough bow kills in a week to matter much anyways.

Just an outsider looking in.

That’s a great point about How moving the hunt back could benefit Georgia dog hunters, and a good reason they should consider supporting this change. I would much rather give up the last week and a half of Bow season In order to hunt undisturbed bears in early season. There is definitely not a bear hiding under every rock, so being able to pattern them around a food source during early season makes a huge difference as opposed to trying to narrow them down in mid October once most of the acorns are on the ground. Additionally, the pressure of the dog hunt definitely changes bear patterns for a while. It takes a little while for the remaining bears to fill back in, and by that time bow season is over.

Last edited:

Stump06

Done. Pitched the idea of a spring bear season and also echoed the concerns about the dog hunt.

Doug B.

https://georgiawildlife.com/regulations/meetings

I am not a Dog hunter, but I completely understand and support the importance of the Dog/Bear Hunt as a management tool. I do have a big problem with the timing of the hunt. Bowhunting bears on Chattahoochee and Chestatee WMAs has been reduced to essentially one week before the rifle hunters roll in, followed immediately by dog hunters. Everyone I have spoken with agrees there would be no downside to the dog hunters by moving the dog hunt back a few weeks. In fact cooler temps would be easier on dogs and hunters alike, and would likely result in more bears on the ground.

Please consider opening the link above and sending an email requesting the dog hunt to be rescheduled. Public comments will be accepted until January 22nd. You boys over on the Cohutta side of the mountains may feel like this doesn’t affect you, but the dog hunt is likely here to stay, and You’re likely to find a dog/bear hunt in your neck of the woods before to long.

There are no longer many of us who hunt these mountains. Every voice counts, and your help is appreciated.
I'm really not for or against but I do have one question. Before everybody goes and make their comment "heard", from a management standpoint what would be better? Or does that even factor into the equation?

jbogg

I'm really not for or against but I do have one question. Before everybody goes and make their comment "heard", from a management standpoint what would be better? Or does that even factor into the equation?

The dog hunters would kill just as many if not more bears at the end of October versus earlier in the season. There would also be limits in place to insure there would not be an over harvest. I cannot envision a downside resulting from this change from a management perspective.

strothershwacker

The only mention of bear during the presentation part of the meeting was to add bear to the game check. Most of the new proposals revolved around turkey season. I found it interesting that out of 25 pre-registered seats only 14 people showed up. Why go through the trouble of registering but then not show up?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The only mention of bear during the presentation part of the meeting was to add bear to the game check. Most of the new proposals revolved around turkey season. I found it interesting that out of 25 pre-registered seats only 14 people showed up. Why go through the trouble of registering but then not show up?
Care to summarize the turkey discussion?