Dog/Bear Hunt Timing

strothershwacker

You can go online
How’d that go over?
I wish they’d accept comments and proposals prior to the meeting so that popular ideas could be discussed

I would love a spring bear season. My woman would not. ?
And cast the same proposal until Jan 22nd! They will consider it if enough people bring it up.

35 Whelen

Eliminate the 75 pound weight restriction. What biological purpose does it serve?

jbogg

Eliminate the 75 pound weight restriction. What biological purpose does it serve?

I have never understood the 75 pound minimum either, but it’s probably A good thing that it is in place from a public relations standpoint. If images started showing up on Facebook of guys posing with a 50 pound cub The anti-Hunter crowd would use that against us to try and shut down bear hunting in a hurry.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I have never understood the 75 pound minimum either, but it’s probably A good thing that it is in place from a public relations standpoint. If images started showing up on Facebook of guys posing with a 50 pound cub The anti-Hunter crowd would use that against us to try and shut down bear hunting in a hurry.

That is the purpose. I hate the rule too, but people go crazy over killing bears and all it takes is a distasteful picture and a slow news day.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
How’d that go over?
I wish they’d accept comments and proposals prior to the meeting so that popular ideas could be discussed

I would love a spring bear season. My woman would not. ?

What you will often see is that new ideas that are popular from a set of public meetings will get discussed internally within WRD, vetted biologically, and brought up the following regulation cycle. Sometimes smaller changes can be done in the same year, but it depends on what it is.

The current public meetings this week are proposing ideas that arose over the last couple of years, but need your input to help shape the final proposals. Once the regulations are officially proposed in a few months there will be a round of public hearings where you can weigh in on what is actually being proposed.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
First time I've seen this thread, just now.
But John texted me a few nights ago and asked me to put in my 2cents.
I sent in my 5 paragraphs immediately, but I just wanted to give a big shout out and thank you to Jbogg for his work and extra curricular activity involving this subject.
I am guessing I am not the only one he has motivated to comment to the DNR with our concerns.
:cheers:

chrislibby88

It might be useful for us emailers to voice our support of moving turkey season back, or whatever parts of it we agree with. I’m cool with all the proposals that strother mentioned. I see the turkey reg changes getting some pushback though. @C.Killmaster can we email twice?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
It might be useful for us emailers to voice our support of moving turkey season back, or whatever parts of it we agree with. I’m cool with all the proposals that strother mentioned. I see the turkey reg changes getting some pushback though. @C.Killmaster can we email twice?

If it's a different topic, absolutely. Just don't try to get double counted on the same issue.

bany

I emailed a few cents. I’ve been plotting a mountain return, mainly for bear and the dog hunt shut that down for me. I was sure a couple weeks were in order for the woods to come back.
Also commented on continuing habitat work if that matters.

jbogg

You boys need to learn the other couple hundred thousand acres outside of those 2 wastelands and you would really enjoy life a lot more.

Thanks for the advice, and I will keep that in mind. Please remind me how moving the dog hunt back a couple of weeks would negatively impact you guys. I’m still waiting to take you up on your open invitation to tagalong to see how those dogs work.

ddd-shooter

You boys need to learn the other couple hundred thousand acres outside of those 2 wastelands and you would really enjoy life a lot more.
If it becomes a rotating hunt, the timing will affect many of us outside of those areas. If you can run bears in October in North Carolina, you can in Georgia also.

jbogg

The following screenshot was taken directly off North Carolina’s website. Just in the NC western mountain counties the dog hunters are able to hunt bears for most of October, most of November, and half of December. The fact that the Georgia DNR scheduled this hunt so as not to interfere with dog hunts scheduled in other states is unconscionable. The Georgia DNR told Georgia resident bowhunters to take a backseat to Houndsman, many of them from other states. Rescheduling the current GA dog hunt to occur just a couple of weeks later gives bow hunters a little bit of a fighting chance on these WMAs without having any negative impact to resident Houndsman. If I were a Houndsman I would be thrilled that people are not screaming to get rid of this hunt, when all we are asking for is a little cooperation.
A37DD5A5-0940-47C3-B60E-A59C77884D3C.jpeg