Dog diet

patriot15joe

I have two middle age pups that need to loose some weight. I have always had them on a bowl full of pedigree a day each. After some reading, it’s not a good diet. Vet wants to go to some rather expensive prescription food. I have started them on chicken and rice (home made) 4oz in the morning and 4 oz in the evincing each.

Does anyone have any recommendations on diet plans that are cost effective?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I have two middle age pups that need to loose some weight. I have always had them on a bowl full of pedigree a day each. After some reading, it’s not a good diet. Vet wants to go to some rather expensive prescription food. I have started them on chicken and rice (home made) 4oz in the morning and 4 oz in the evincing each.

Does anyone have any recommendations on diet plans that are cost effective?
I've always just given my dog about a measuring cup of a good quality dog food in the morning at 7:30 and a cup in the evening about 5pm and then a few dog biscuits during the day as treat. The key is consistently only giving them one cup full and not giving them any people food ever, especially cheese. He does like a bite of carrot or cucumber occasionally though. None of my dogs were ever overweight or underweight and had plenty of energy.

Dbender

Just cut your pedigree portion down some. Nothing wrong with pedigree. Most vets are crooks just like regular doctors these days.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I make up homemade turkey and sweet potato, turkey with green beans,carrots,peas.
I buy the turkey on sale for 49-59 cents lb right before Thanksgiving.
We also feed them canned chicken and rice occasionally.We feed them kibble 2 days a week and do the supplement real food 1 day then start over.
My vet said Dogs need real protein(not processed into kibble).
My dogs are at target weight yearround and can out play me .

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I will also say that a more expensive(higher protein) kibble doesn,t require as much per day as a lesser kibble for them to get the nutrients they need.
I have 50 lb and 70 dog.I feed them 4 cups total per day for both.