Dog fighting vs. Deer hunting

He Who Hunts

I'm sitting at work listening to local Sports Talk radio and some yahoo is trying to compare what Michael Vick is accused of doing to Peyton Manning legally deer hunting for relaxation. :banginghe His argument is that it is basically the same thing. Though the radio jocks disagreed with him, one made a comment that it could be construed as the same if Manning gutshot the deer. Not that you should be gut-shooting deer, but even then they are totally different IMO. :crazy:

whitworth

The Sportswriter from Yahoo

was attempting to do a little reach. My guy isn't that bad; this guy does this.

I'm sure if Vick were to go to prison, there would be a small contingent of sportswriters saying it was someone else's fault and others have done "worst" things in life.

sbrown

Dont' remember the last time I duct taped another deers mouth shut in order to have it killed for training purposes. Tell these guys to watch that HBO Real sports special that came on last night and see how these dogs are treated and trained. There were dogs that had their mouths taped shut so they could not fight back and then had other dogs attack them for training them. One even had its back hip shattered so that it could not move around and allow the dog being trained to fight and learn on it better. People who do this or beleive this is ok and the same as deer hunting are ignorant. We as hunters try to kill as ethically as possible and use our game as food. When is the last time that these fine upstanding dog fighting community leaders ate a dog that they killed after hours of torture. They say it is a rush and that it is battle, if that is true then I challenge any one of them to get into boxing or UFC and do hand to hand combat themselves and see just how big of a coward these guys really are. I am sick of it trying to be made into a race issue.If you are black or white it doesn't matter, they are still trash.

Last edited by a moderator:

timbob

I have heard that to. Deer hunting is nothing compared to dog fighting. We hunters try our best to make a clean kill and it is a legal sport. I hope to see those thugs pay for what they were doing. It makes me ill when some idiot who has no idea about hunting , makes comments that degrade it.

BASS1FUN

I Believe The Comment Was More Directed Toward Peta Because Those Clowns Have The Nerve To Show Up At Deer Camps And Blow Horns And Other Noise Making Devices To Try To Ruin Someones Hunt.

Larry Rooks

SBrown said it best. When some sick fool pitts two dogs together, only one will come out alive. Dogs are in no way ever going to be overpopulated and on the starvation list.
Their owners feed them, unless it is some idiot like Mike Vick, who belongs in the darkest cell in the worst Federal Prison with a 300 lb sugar daddy:bounce:

Fighting dogs and deer hunting is about as different as night and day or hot a cold. It would take a real dumb
fool to even consider the two alike. When you throw two dgos into a pen for the purpose of one killing another is sick. I see no relaxation in any of this. And, Dog Fighting is
ILLEGAL, deer hunting is not. Dog fighting is inhumane in every way, there is always suffering from both dogs, just a little bit more from the weakest or losing dog.

Deer hunting is legal and the animal in no way suffers any
where near like a beaten dog, especially one who has had his mouth duct taped together so he can not defend himself
and fight back. These dog fighters are sick people amd would probably care no more for human life than the dogs if enough money was envolved.

Keep hunting Peyton Manning, you're one of the good guys

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I Believe The Comment Was More Directed Toward Peta Because Those Clowns Have The Nerve To Show Up At Deer Camps And Blow Horns And Other Noise Making Devices To Try To Ruin Someones Hunt.

They better never show up and ruin my hunt or even entertain the thought of it!!

Browning Slayer

Well, if they come into my camp I would probably discharge a firearm which would be perfectly legal since I'm not inside any city limits and on my property.. If they are on my hunting land I would probably do the same... If they are in a vehicle I would probably block them in with mine and call a tow truck and watch them watch their car be loaded up as they were being handcuffed and taken to jail for criminal tresspass. Take their tag number, find out where they live and protest outside of their house on the street or possibly in front of their home. Follow them to work and do the same outside of their workplace and do my best to get them fired! They are not the only ones that can stir the pot.. That's just a couple of ideas... If they were to protest from the road let em.. Wouldn't see them or hear them..

Last edited:

big buck blaster

when peta can get laws passed making killing cows,chickens,and pigs ect,illegal I might quit deer hunting. yea right!!!!! and if they ever come on my property I will just have them locked up for trespassing.

Mr W.

:banginghe Dog fighting is illegal torture.
Deer hunting is legal and feeds my family.

smokewagon44

How is it the same? We are not fighting deer!

Randy

Actually I pointed this out a few weeks ago when many people here were really hammering Vick. Don't get me wrong, what Vick did was wrong but.............many people see it as no different than hunting especially when dogs are used for hunting like hog hunting. Many of these "hog dogs" are trained in the same way as "fighting dogs." And many hog dogs have to be put down by ther owners just as fighting dogs are. We as hunters see a difference, others don't. This Vick thing is going to blow up in our (hunter's) faces too. You watch and see. Be careful how you talk about it, it just may come back and bite you/us.

Browning Slayer

Actually I pointed this out a few weeks ago when many people here were really hammering Vick. Don't get me wrong, what Vick did was wrong but.............many people see it as no different than hunting especially when dogs are used for hunting like hog hunting. Many of these "hog dogs" are trained in the same way as "fighting dogs." And many hog dogs have to be put down by ther owners just as fighting dogs are. We as hunters see a difference, others don't. This Vick thing is going to blow up in our (hunter's) faces too. You watch and see. Be careful how you talk about it, it just may come back and bite you/us.

That is exactly what you said but I will still oppose any violence towards dogs and the comparison.. If you have to mutilate a dog to get pleasure out of what you call a sport be it hog hunting or dog fighting, IT IS A DISGRACE AND YOU SHOULD BE ON TRAIL TOO!! If there is anyone on this board that hunts to purposely hurt your dogs than you should be stuck in a ring with these dogs you hurt! I know hog hunters that use dogs but they don't get entertainment out of hurting their dogs... There is a HUGE difference between dog's that hunt and dog fighting! Bird dogs have been shot while hunting but it was not on purpose!

Dog fighting is for the lowest life form there is and Vick showed his character!

sbrown

Hunting with dog and dog fighting are still totally different. I understand your point but when you hunt with dogs your objectuve is not to get the dog hurt but to train it to hunt the pigs or game in a well trained manner.Sure some dogs still get hurt while hunting but dog fighting has only one objective, torture and death of one or both dogs for purely monetary gain. People will try and reason or justify what they are doing is ok by pointing or comparing it to something else. Well not at my expense or at the expense of a way of life that I love and is nothing wrong with. They point out another high profile athlete like Peyton Manning and say" Well, he shoots deer so there is nothing different about dog fighting." What a crock. Not to mention the fact how this all started is that the police were there at Vicks property to search the place for drugs,people forget that! People forget that all those guys had records, and I don't mean deer harvest records.

outdoordon

Who know's

"Maybe Con Vick was eating the dogs he killed". :rofl:

We eat the deer we kill. :shoot:

I don't think this will blow up in hunter's faces. We have group's like the NRA etc.

HOGDOG76

WHAT TRAINING DO THEY SHARE?:huh: ALL TYPES OF HUNTING DOGS SOMETIMES HAVE TO BE PUT DOWN BY THEIR OWNERS SO THAT IS NOT A VALID ARGUMENT TO ME.THE UNWILLINGNESS TO CONDEMN HIM FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL BLOW UP IN OUR FACE IMHO.

ejs1980

It is the same as hunting if your way of hunting is take two bucks attach knives to there antlers pump them up on testosterone and throw them in a pen together.

Georgia Clay

boys this is where it gets muddy. I am not a dog fighter and have never had a desire to get involved in it, nor would i know where to if i wanted to. That said, animals and fowl are property and i believe the owners have the right to use as they see fit or destroy as they see fit.

That can get ugly and hard to take for most of us but it is the only way. If you try and take" property" out of property ownership of animals then it is only a matter of time until animals are given legal rights.

Right now the animal rights extremists are working at a local level to get animal ordinances changed to the type of language that will serve them later on in court.

Be very aware of this because you will see it. Look for the changing of terms like "owner" to words like guardian or care taker or the like.

Animals must be kept as private property and that sometimes is hard to swallow as everyone is to have a different definition of acceptable care or disposal.