Dog hunt with ( hog-head)

Johnbob_3

For those who have not tried deer hunting with dogs, you really don't know what you are missing - it is a thrill to say the least. I grew up in the panhandle of Florida and that is how we did it, but often the dogs ran the deer for miles - we really had very few small blocks of planted pines to hunt. We concentrated on draws and wood blocks near soybean or peanut fields. Occasionally, we had large tracts of woods to work with, but a lot of our areas were in rural portions of the county that were inhabited and we relied a lot on county dirt roads (cruised those every morning well before daylight looking for tracks in the dirt) to get around. I have not hunted with dogs for nearly 40 years now, but on my lease one of the neighbors has some beagles that get loose occasionally (seems like mainly weekends :huh: ) and I do fondly remember the times of years ago and listening to the chorus of the hounds! I killed my first two buck this way (does not allowed back then), both young ones, but I shot them with #1 buckshot and dropped them dead in their tracks.

Nice post!

cuda67bnl

Every deer I've ever shot with buckshot fell in it's tracks....
I don't gun hunt any more, but I'd love to go on a drive as a spectator.

skeeter1

it might be a little spraying and praying but thats part of it , gives the deer a sporting chance, but in most cases if the deer is wounded by one it makes it to another and finished off , the only reason it wasn',t found was due to the rain washing the scent away right then and the dogs couldn't trail it , had it just been damp or dry it would have been ran out to anothr stander or it would have been bayed up by the hounds and found

by the way i still hunt and dog hunt have my whole life , i have only used a 12 ga. i have to nice bucks on my wall1 i droped in his tracks one ran a 100 yards with two shots of 0 buck dead in the chest at almost piont blank range, i have killed welll over my share of deer in my 38 years with a shot gun i have killed them , wounded them , and lost them dog huntin and still huntin!!!

please don't let that detour you if you have a chance to dog hunt take it !! you want be sad!!

again great story

Curtis-UGA

I realize everyone wounds and loses deer, but it would be like knocking the feathers out a dove and it keep flying. If your shooting buckshot your spraying and praying. As far as distance I'ld be will to bet at 100yds you wouldn't want to be shot by a slug or buckshot. I'm just thinking you'll lose more on drives than normal stand hunting, I never really thought about it until I read this post!

I'm sure if they felt it was unethical to use buckshot they wouldn't. I'm sure if they thought there was a better option they would exercise it. I think the proper thing to do is congradulate them on a great story and a great hunt.

Xrallison

Hey guys I didn't want me expressing my hunt with my child and good people on a new experience to turn into a big battle over what still hunter thinks of dog hunters. Buckshot has been used for decades to kill deer even on still hunts its ethical and human way to kill the deer. Trust me when I say that I have a 13 year old son that is so not the typical 13 year old he walks eats sleep deer hunting and has more passion then any man I know and I wouldn't do anything to ruin his drive and determination to achieve being a better hunter to chance not finding a wounded deer. Cooper21 is the other Scott I was talking about that help us along with his kids,he also so smoked a coyote. My son is the reason I do this meaning hunting in genarel I love the sport and have been hunting since I was 5 but since he started hunting it change the way I look at this sport I love so much because it's all about him. Ask anyone of the guys that seen me with him I left my gun in the truck after I shot my deer sure I could of had it out there to help with a follow up shot of needed but that's not what it's about. I'm about teaching my son to be a man and grow up to have a life I never had from a daddy and as it was said on here the time I've invested in this young man is priceless. I got divorce from his mama when he was 9 months old this child spends every waking moment with me. No matter if it's turning wrenches on my 126mph drag racing boat, or hunting. So please understand let's not battle nor fight here the guys at duck roost was good enough to give a few people chances to enjoy this and they have Austin addicted he is pacing the floors wishing it was 4:00am now to we can be headed that way. There is a adult / child hunt in chickasawhatchee wma Monday he knows he got a brand new dirt bike for Christmas he seen it but he said daddy monday morning it's on we gonna go smoke some bacon(hogs) or a deer. What I trying to say is I was proved that dog hunting is fun and ethical and it may not be for everyone and if it ain't fine but if it ain't don't bash other hunters my nephew died last year fighting for this country in afghan to give us the right to be free and enjoy this great place so we can enjoy it let all feel the beds of our trucks up with deer and get along merry christmas everyone stay safe and god bless yall

Coppers21

Sometimes you have to agree to disagree. Try and defend yourself and you may sound guilty of doin something wrong. Nothing like folding one up @ 30mph in front of the dogs or just listening to a good race. Hope I can do it another 30yrs. Yall don't kill em all, i got to do the family thing tomorrow. Get my fix on Wednesday.

swampdaddy

Glad you had fun at the Duck Roost.

I'm usually there on wednesdays but didn't want to risk driving from Stone Mountain and getting rained out. Dang it, looks like I missed out. I was so glad to hear your story. I killed my first buck at the Duck Roost in 1985 on River Road # 6 or 7. Now I take my Wife,Son and Daughter with me. Dog hunting works well for our family and we all love it.

I almost used up a sick day at work to go dogging today but didn't. My 7 year old was miserable all day today cause I told him last night we were dogging in the morning and I went to work today instead. I hope y'all have fun and come back soon.
Eric
Our Face Book Page is:

Washington County Hunting Club ( The Duck Roost)
PM me if you have any trouble finding it.

Curtis-UGA

If someone wants to start a thread discussing the ethics of using buckshot that's fine. But it shouldn't be here and the op shouldn't have to defend his sons hunt. Like Mama said "this ain't the time or the place for that!"

HOG-HEAD

cant please um all

hey , what better place to shoot a deer and need some help finding it , than at a club, that has 50 tracking dogs....oh well , some people...anyway ..hey believe me guys we wanted to find austins deer, ther just wasnt much sign or blood,,,or we would have put my highball dog on him..if he would have been dead, he would have found him....we had a guy shoot his first deer today in front of the dogs , highball trailed him about 70 yards and sat down on him until we got there.....we are just as effecient at finding our deer as any other means of taking them....some may stretch a shot every now and then , but hasnt everyone who has ever hunted....i kn ow a guy whos nickname is hoghead who missed 1 today...pleas dont tell austin..this can be our little secret:rofl:

UserJ3619

fyi...or maybe I'm missing something?

The radio goes off get ready in the big timber area 6,7,8....

...Well then 4 deer came screaming by about 80 yards thur the pines with 4 dogs behind them I grab the radio told everyone to get ready down on tower 7,6,5 here there come!!!...

...The dogs wasn't picking up any thing and bout that time 2 deer busted thur on us Austin let that little 20 gauge wake all the standers up I grab the radio and told the gas line to get ready here 2 come!!!

The regs state that the "Use of electronic communications equipment to aid in the pursuit of game" is an unlawful activity.

Xrallison

Electronic devices are used is aids to catch the dogs it's not to pinpoint where the deer are I mean come on are we on trial of a forum seriously? If you ain't never hunted with dogs as been said 10 times here you wouldn't understand I'm done explaining this as I've only done it once and tomarrow will be twice merry Christmas or I might say for some of the people on here happy holidays because it sure seem like half this forum would rather question things then understand them and be greatful just reading... Just remember one thing why you are setting behind your computer and your fancy telephones reading this forum there is people seating behind m-16 m-4s and 240saw protecting us and fighting to stay alive!!giving us the right to enjoy this great place we live in called America, but instead of being greatful people get on the Internet and question and complain again merry christmas

Curtis-UGA

They say ignorance is bliss....but darn if the amount of it around here doesn't get annoying.

Don't you know using tracking collars on hounds has been going on for years. If it was illegal I think the real game wardens would have shut it down.

I'm going with hog head next Saturday sure lookin forward to it!

cuda67bnl

The guy is referring to using radios (electronic communications) to talk to each other and inform each other that deer are coming. He's not talking about tracking collars for the dogs. And he's correct, it's unlawfull, according to the regs.

Dog Hunter

Congrads to OP. Its a wonderful experience. One I'm glad to have been a part of for almost 40 yrs. I'm glad my kids love it too.

diamondback

CBs have been used for 30 years for dog hunting.I think that the GW would have them banned if it were illegal.The radios are used to stay ahead of the dogs.There is no telling where the deer is or which way it will go.You can hear the dogs or use the tracking collars to locate them.Yes there is a fine line there with wording of the law .

HOG-HEAD

radios

just to help clear thing up a little about radios, we ask all of our standers to have a 2 way radio , for several reason..1st and foremost is a safety factor, when they get on their appointed stands , we ask them to communicate with the standers on each side of them as to their location ...2nd it is a means for us dogmen to talk with our standers, to make sure they are on stand , ready and are aware we are going to turn loose the dogs.some of our drives are in 500 -1000 acre blocks..so we have to talk with each other.3rd it is a way for the standers to let the dogmen know if they have shot a deer, need some help , have caught a dog , or mostly if the dogs have gone out of the drive so the dogmen can go and catch them..the use of the radios is a must for us to be able to control our dogs , with the help of the tracking and shock collars....because dog control is the most important part of it all...whether we kill a deer or not , we will always try to control our dogs as best as we can, when you have raised dogs and grown to love them as pets and friend , they are like my kids , i want them to do what they are bred to due ( which is to track and pursue game) ..but i want them back with me as soon as we are finished with that drive..dogs have not always been the problem , the problems in the past have been dogmen with no respect for other peoples property and even the game they were hunting.... so anyway maybe this will help some as to the use of the radios....and to me it is no different than texting , trailcameras and and certainly the ones that link to your computer to check them....one thing about dog hunting we dont try to sneak up on them, and be scent proof and pour out doe estrus on cottonballs everywhere,,,we make alot of noise on 4 wheelers , radios and even chase them with dogs...sounds fair to me...and if by chance radios would help aid in the killing of deer....there would not be a 1 left on the shelf , beacause every stillhunter in the us would have 3 or more...anyway thats another story, i hope i am doing this in order to educate and not isolate other hunters...i wish we could close the gap as sportsman , for the sake of those coming behind us..( our children and grand children )....Im glad i had my radio on sat when micheal called me and said , well austin finally got his DOE.....how many people remember the thrill of the first doe or deer even .....to me thats what its all about....radios , dogs or whatever...to me the fun and fellowship with others, is where we all need to improve...merry christmas to all....:flag:

Xrallison

Austin got his doe yesterday finally and to the help of the good people at duck roost thanks alot scott..Guys th radio isn't to help with you seeing the deer is to tell you where the dogs are headed to you can grab them to help the dog men out. If you think those deer don't have a good time out running those dogs you should of been there yesterday lol they ran them poor little beagles around in circles for 20 min and them poor puppies was a 1/4 mile behind them. That's awesome part of it is listening to those hounds. My son seen more deer then probably anyone there. He could have shot 9 doe I told him after he shot his doe he better not shoot at nothing smaller then what I'm mounting for him. Scott told me not to be hard on him and if it's a decent rack buck let him shoot, that's shows you the type of guy Scott is. Now the last drive me and Austin set up in stand 17 about 20 yards apart in a logging road I hear the dogs and I hear a deer crashing thur the woods I hear Austin cut loose with his little 20g I said to myself so I told you no more does I see the doe bouncing off. I get to him and say son I said no more doe, he laugh an said daddy I was shooting at a buck he said it was a 6 he thought lol, goes to show you the dogs came by me with a doe ahead of them that I could of easily shot she was 10 yard from me Austin did just what Scott told him he could do. This guys are as much about managing there deer heard as you so call trophy hunter,they hunt to hear the race. If they wanted to pile deer up trust me thu could, well some can lol good group of guys for sure, they made Austin one happy youngen and that I'm greatful for merry Christmas to all the duck roost clan