Dog not looking like he feels good.

Thread starter #1

Balrog

Senior Member
A medium sized dog that we salvaged from the dog pound last week has chomped a pork rib bone up and swallowed it yesterday. Today he is sort of just laying around acting tired. He got a parvo/distemper shot and dewormer 2 days ago. He doesn't seem to be in pain, belly isn't tight or tender, but he is laying around sleeping a lot and seems like he doesn't feel good.

I didn't intend for him to eat that rib bone, he just got it before I could get it away from him.

Will the parvo/distemper/dewormer make the dog feel bad? Also, can a dog handle eating a chomped up pork rib bone? We have had dogs eat bones before and they have not had a problem, but never had one look like he feels bad the next day.
 
I had to rush my dog to the vet years ago after she devoured a chicken bone. Vet said we got her there in the nick of time. Don't know if pork bones are different.
 

bullfrog79

Senior Member
I’ve always heard that dogs shouldn’t have chicken bones because they tend to break up into sharp pieces. Never had a problem with any of mine eating pork/beef/deer bones, but not to say it couldn’t hurt them. As far as the shots and dewormer, it shouldn’t have any effect that I have seen.
 

bullgator

Darn Flankee
I’ll bet a coyote, with the same digestive system, would have eaten that bone too.
 

specialk

Senior Member
As a young'en we thru all sorts of stuff out the back door for the dogs.....all mine have eat all types from chicken to fish....never a problem...in fact i just shredded 2 rotis chks from sams and gave my 80lb lab/pit both the carcases....


if she chomped them up the she should b fine....keep an eye on her for a day or so....if it gets worse id go to the vet.....
 
Had a big old chocolate lab one time I fed a pork chop bone to that I figured was too big to swallow. You know, one of those shaped like a "T". I called the vet and they said not to worry that their stomachs could break it down.
 
Thread starter #8

Balrog

Senior Member
Had a big old chocolate lab one time I fed a pork chop bone to that I figured was too big to swallow. You know, one of those shaped like a "T". I called the vet and they said not to worry that their stomachs could break it down.
Dog ends up being fine. I had vet xray him today, no sign of bone. I guess he either digested it, pooped it, or vomited it.
 

specialk

Senior Member
Dog ends up being fine. I had vet xray him today, no sign of bone. I guess he either digested it, pooped it, or vomited it.
Good to hear......way to go as a great pet owner also!!
 
Top