Dog Training

Hi! I have a dog that I want to train or get trained to be a squirrel and bird dog. I have never trained dogs before so Im not sure how to go about it. Can anyone give me some points? Thanks!!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
What breed of dog and age ?

Hillbilly stalker

Both of those breeds are bred to " go to ground", meaning they are mousers and hunt animals that burrow. A squirrel dog is a tree dog and hunts game that will climb. Although it may be possible to get one to chase a squirrel, they would not make a serious squirrel dog. It's just the wrong tool for the job. A lot of terriers will chase a squirrel to and up a tree, but sit there and stare or leave the tree without barking. If a dog is not barking it is not treeing. Nothing against your dog....its just not what it's bred to do. Treeing is an instinct in a dog. Terriers ( earth dog) and Dachshund ( German for badger dog) dig for game.

Both of those breeds are bred to " go to ground", meaning they are mousers and hunt animals that burrow. A squirrel dog is a tree dog and hunts game that will climb. Although it may be possible to get one to chase a squirrel, they would not make a serious squirrel dog. It's just the wrong tool for the job. A lot of terriers will chase a squirrel to and up a tree, but sit there and stare or leave the tree without barking. If a dog is not barking it is not treeing. Nothing against your dog....its just not what it's bred to do. Treeing is an instinct in a dog. Terriers ( earth dog) and Dachshund ( German for badger dog) dig for game.

So rabbits would be out too?

Hillbilly stalker

Most likely. Rabbit hunting in Europe ( where both breeds originate) is done totally different than here in the U.S. In Europe they call them hares and put the dog down in the hole to flush or drag out the game. In the U.S we use beagles which bark and chase the rabbit above ground. The chase is what it is all about here. There they are trying to eliminate pests. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying anything at all with your dog, just kinda wanna give you some insight of what your up against. Check you tube for Hare hunting in Europe and you will get an ideal of what I'm saying. I cannot comment on the bird dog aspect.

Most likely. Rabbit hunting in Europe ( where both breeds originate) is done totally different than here in the U.S. In Europe they call them hares and put the dog down in the hole to flush or drag out the game. In the U.S we use beagles which bark and chase the rabbit above ground. The chase is what it is all about here. There they are trying to eliminate pests. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying anything at all with your dog, just kinda wanna give you some insight of what your up against. Check you tube for Hare hunting in Europe and you will get an ideal of what I'm saying. I cannot comment on the bird dog aspect.
Thanks! And I know about the hare hunting.
Thanks!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I have seen several dachshunds that were excellent rabbit dogs. They are hounds for all intents and purposes, with the same instincts. Mine opens on the track and will run a rabbit like a beagle. He will also tree a squirrel and sometimes follow it from tree to tree, and barks every breath. Terriers, on the other hand, are mostly sight-hunters. I've never seen a fiest that would run a rabbit by trailing it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve raised Beagles much of my life, read old guy. Beagles will double as flushers for birds if your looking for dual purpose. I’ve killed many pheasants and a few quail while rabbit hunting with Beagles.

A Beagle will work both birds and rabbits by scent trailing, not by site. Not to discourage you but your odds of success will be higher with a dog bred to purpose.