Dogging Bear Quota Hunt

j_seph

So does that mean 16 people can show up to a meeting, request a major change for a WMA, and it's pretty much a done deal? How does that ensure maximum public input?

There could be many more who were against the proposed change, but didn't even know it would be brought up at the initial meeting. Then when they see it in the proposed regs, it's pretty much done deal. It sounds like public input isn't worth the time once a change is in the proposed regs. That means 16 people made a major change on a WMA that more than 16 people use.
Would be interesting to see the numbers of how many signed in at Hooch and Chestatee during bow season.

Joe Brandon

Would be interesting to see the numbers of how many signed in at Hooch and Chestatee during bow season.
First day of bow alone there is typically 2-4 sheets full of names. Think we counted 40-50 something last year at the check station.

Last edited:

Joe Brandon

I'll tell yall this, according to DNR only 15 bears were killed on Chattahoochee WMA last year. I took two of those and know of 8 other bears killed. There is no way that there are only 5 bears that cant be accounted for through my little 5 man or so group of friends on here. I checked one of my my hooch bears in with the Rome region DNR because that is where region 2 told me to check the bear in due to the fact that I bought the bear home and do not live in region two. Perhaps that info dosent get communicated as coming off of the Chattahoochee? Don't know just seems like there are some opportunities for better communication among the WRD branches/staff. I know lack of funds is a factor and I know our WRD/DNR people work very hard.

goshenmountainman

So does that mean 16 people can show up to a meeting, request a major change for a WMA, and it's pretty much a done deal? How does that ensure maximum public input?

There could be many more who were against the proposed change, but didn't even know it would be brought up at the initial meeting. Then when they see it in the proposed regs, it's pretty much done deal. It sounds like public input isn't worth the time once a change is in the proposed regs. That means 16 people made a major change on a WMA that more than 16 people use.
This has been a topic for discussion at a number of meetings, I think about five years ago, maybe more, it was brought up at a meeting in Clayton Georgia. I was there and spoke about the doe days and how we didn't need any in the mountains..and I was in favor of giving the houndsman a bear season and expressed my opinion about that and how we needed to control the exploding bear population, took this long to get a season for them and to do away with the doe days. I don't agree with the timing, but we need some help in these mountains. I don't think this is a fix for the problem but every little bit helps, next they need to make it legal to bait bears and lower the weight limit to 50lbs. much easier to tell 50 pounds than 75, a lot smaller body.

Buckman18

This has been a topic for discussion at a number of meetings, I think about five years ago, maybe more, it was brought up at a meeting in Clayton Georgia. I was there and spoke about the doe days and how we didn't need any in the mountains..and I was in favor of giving the houndsman a bear season and expressed my opinion about that and how we needed to control the exploding bear population, took this long to get a season for them and to do away with the doe days. I don't agree with the timing, but we need some help in these mountains. I don't think this is a fix for the problem but every little bit helps, next they need to make it legal to bait bears and lower the weight limit to 50lbs. much easier to tell 50 pounds than 75, a lot smaller body.
This. And add a spring season, increase the bag limit, and do away with the aggravation you have to go through to get one tagged.

Christian hughey

As I have tried to make clear, I am not against dog hunting or dog hunters at all, just the timing of the hunt. I have spent three years walking literally hundreds of miles on Chattahoochee and Chestatee learning the land. Stating that there are hundreds of thousands of additional National Forest acres I could go hunt is true, but investing that much time to start over and learn a new area requires a lot of work and time. Starting this year there is only one week of bow season until the gun hunters role in on the rifle hunt. That is followed immediately by a nine day bear dog hunt which will Have a huge effect on the bear population, not to mention daytime bear activity for weeks after the hunt has ended. All I have said from the beginning is that if the dog Hunt was moved back several weeks that would give bow hunters enough time in the woods to be successful as well as allowing the dog hunters to hunt early enough in the year when all the bears are still on their feet and moving. I believe that is a compromise that everyone could live with.
I agree, bear doggon sucks if it interferes with our bow season. I also feel the same about the early gun hunt. Nothing against fellow hunters and your opportunity you have the same rights as I, but you have to admit you have an upper hand with the dog and rifle in hand.

Hillbilly stalker

I agree, bear doggon sucks if it interferes with our bow season. I also feel the same about the early gun hunt. Nothing against fellow hunters and your opportunity you have the same rights as I, but you have to admit you have an upper hand with the dog and rifle in hand.
You picked your own weapon and method right ?

strothershwacker

Need about 5 Garmin collars, 4 good dogs, a box for the back of the truck, and a good cold nose lead dog. Those dog hunters put a lot of money into it, and it is a lifestyle. If anyone gets drawn let me join please. I am fit and ready to climb, not even trigger happy just want to join along and use my legs!
Joe's dragging service. No bear too big no hill to steep!

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Need about 5 Garmin collars, 4 good dogs, a box for the back of the truck, and a good cold nose lead dog. Those dog hunters put a lot of money into it, and it is a lifestyle. If anyone gets drawn let me join please. I am fit and ready to climb, not even trigger happy just want to join along and use my legs!

I'm in the same boat! I wanna see these hounds work! Ive got a plot mix- but hes getting old..

Christian hughey

I would like to see a hunt this time of the year
Hahaha! Its something so new to me I'd just be really intrested to see it all work.
I would like to see a hunt of any kind coordinated just after turkey season. To get people in the woods when turkey poults and fawns are most vulnerable but for some reason they don't want us out there this time of year which I don't get. If the bears are such a problem you'd think they would let us hunt them when they are most vulnerable themselves. Maybe one day. But definitely if they do the dog season anytime outside of normal archery season, I'm in!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just be glad you have some bear season that isn't open to dogs. Here in NC, if you don't have a pack of hounds or a private honey hole, you aren't killing a bear, unless you hunt illegally at night.